Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wait Lists

Starting to feel at home...

Wait Lists

Quick question for you ladies. I've filled 2 infant spots, one starting in July part time and 1 starting in September full time. (Infant spots seem to be a hot commodity lately because I've now been getting more serious inquiries.) I'm hesitant to accept more babies until we find out what will happen with 143- I can't imagine taking on a family knowing that I might have to let them go. I'm sure there are others in this situation- what have you done? With kids leaving for school in September I will have another space but... My main question is, when you interview, or before you interview for a spot that isn't immediately available, do you let the families know that they're interviewing for a spot on a waiting list? I'd assume that you'd have to but what do you say to make them still want to meet with you and not just look elsewhere?

Euphoric !
    I add them to my waiting list and tell them this but don't meet in person until closer to the date of an opening. You will end up meeting a lot of families and than when a spot becomes available half of them will have found another dc anyways.

If you want to meet them, you could look at it as advertising and spreading your name around. Even if they find another dc, they may recommend you to friends/family that are looking for care too.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately someone will get screwed from bill 143. You can be kind to the families and not fill the infant space until we know for sure what the impacts with be...they will go secure a spot at a daycare that is not holding off on filling infant spaces (you get screwed) or you can look out for yourself and your business and bill 143 possibly comes into play and you cannot take the child at the start date (family gets screwed).

I would look out for yourself. Interview, get a deposit and contract and assume all will be good. The government will either grandfather the children in or give a lot of transition time OR they will royally screw over a ton of families and home daycare providers. Regardless, you do yourself no good by not filling your future spaces now while you can while waiting to hear what bill 143 will look like (and when it will impact us).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Personally, I am filling spaces as normal and not worrying about bill 143. If and when it gets passed, I believe we will be able to grandfather in our currently registered children or at least have some grace period. I find it highly unlikely that they will pass the bill and then expect us to terminate care for families we already have in our care. Also, watching the debate, I believe it will take awhile and undergo some changes before anything gets put into law...and even longer before it comes in effect. I wouldn't drive yourself crazy trying to plan for a hypothetical.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I'm with sunnydays on that one...i'm moving ahead business as usual, but letting parents know what the proposed changes are and how that MAY affect them.
    “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”

― Angela Schwindt

Yeah, that's me. I do tend to over think things and worry about the "what ifs". Thank you ladies. I'll continue on as usual and keep those interviews flowing!

Expansive...
    I add people to my wait list but I wouldn't actually ask them to come for an interview unless I have a spot open up.

I have had wait lists that were 3 people long and then I would contact them all and they would all have found daycare by then.

The wait list sounds good in theory but has never worked well for me.

I would suggest holding off interviews until you know more or else you will be wasting an hour of your time and potentially not even be able to accept the family.

Euphoric !
    Spixie, I know what you mean about waiting lists. I currently have 11 families on my list...but now that I have a space opening up...none of them need care anymore...or need care for months later than my opening

Thank you Sunnydays, you really releived some of my stress. I so confused and nervous with this Bill 143. I never understood how the " age thing " works and if it is passed, I will definatly need help from you ladies to clear it up for me.

So if this Bill is approved, how many 1 year old's can we care for?
    etc.