Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I agree that it is definitely risky if it is your sole income as there are always ups and downs and you can lose a child unexpectedly at any time. However, if you have savings you can fall back on, then you might be able to make it work. One thing you could try is to get some school-aged kids just for the summer while you work on filling your full-time spots with younger kids for the fall. It might buy you a bit of time to get started. Good luck!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Amazing advice...thank you
    Well great news - I will be renting my friends house which will be perfect for me and the kiddies. I'm so excited!
    I will be moving in May 1st and aiming to start shortly after which gives me time to bring on children slowly and allow them to adjust.
    My question is... the daycares in the area seem to be charging $35/day. Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I charge $40?
    I will also be calling around tomorrow for insurance...I'm hoping to find a company to insure 5 kids!

Starting to feel at home...
    Congratulations sunshinesmiles! That's very exciting news. I wish you all the luck in your new endeavors!

I'm a CCPRN Member and in their handbook they have a table comparing rates for the Ottawa area which helped me. Not sure if you can get your hands on something like this for your area. I found being a member had many advantages and helped me a lot.

I also charge more than others in my area and it wasn't an issue for me. The service you provide will determine the rate you can charge and parents will pay a little more for excellent care. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

As for the insurance, I am insured with The Dominion. They charge $30/year per child.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I received a quote today for Aviva for $55 a month (including tenant insurance) for up to 5 children (including my one child). Sound reasonable?

Did they break it down? How much are you paying for tenant insurance and how much for daycare? Mine equals to $14.58/mth for all 5 kids.

Shy
    They did...it would be $20 for the coverage for the kids.
    I don't think I would find cheaper because i'm not currently insured as a tenant...
    Now to start working on a contract, rates, and the additional equipment and supplies i'll need...the fun part
    Oh and I have someone who is looking for only 2 days per week/full day for her 8 month old for June. By then he will be 11 months old and the same age as my son. If I do take her son, it seems appropriate to charge a little more for pt care? ie. if I charge $40 normally, charge $45 a day for 2 days a week. And does anyone charge more for infants?
    Or am I just silly to take her on and take up a space?

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinesmiles View Post
    They did...it would be $20 for the coverage for the kids.
    I don't think I would find cheaper because i'm not currently insured as a tenant...
    Now to start working on a contract, rates, and the additional equipment and supplies i'll need...the fun part
    Oh and I have someone who is looking for only 2 days per week/full day for her 8 month old for June. By then he will be 11 months old and the same age as my son. If I do take her son, it seems appropriate to charge a little more for pt care? ie. if I charge $40 normally, charge $45 a day for 2 days a week. And does anyone charge more for infants?
    Or am I just silly to take her on and take up a space?
    You can always accept part-time now to get some kids but be honest and tell parents your goal is to fill the spots ft. You can always say that that you will take pt now but once you are full and have someone that is interested in ft, that they will have the option of switching to ft or give up their spot. That’s what I did and parents appreciate the honesty. One parent accepted and when I had another parent interested in ft care for April, I told the other parents that I would charge them ft as of April and they accepted. This means they paid per day from feb-april and I wasn’t stuck with an open spot and made money in the meantime. I also have another dcm that wanted half days, I told her yes as she could share a spot with my only b/a school boy but that the spot would be filled ft when the boy left in September. She agreed. If you are honest there are no surprises.

I charge a little more for part-time. I offered drop-in care until I would fill in my spots and charged $50/day (I charge $45/day for ft) therefore I charge $25 for half day. Not much more but a little.

Have fun organizing everything, that is the fun part!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post: