Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Advice please :)

Hi everyone
    I am a single mom, and sole-support parent of an 8 month old. My maternity leave is up in July and I will not be returning to work as my job is on the west coast and I would like to stay in Ontario close to family and friends. (no option to transfer)
    I am currently finishing up my ECE part-time a couple of evenings a week and have years of experience with kids. I would like to open my own home daycare so I can stay home with my son but would need to do it out of a rental. A friend of mine from school is offering me her house to rent. She has previously ran a home daycare from the house but decided it wasn't for her and returned to work. Her family is moving and renting out their house.
    So, my fear is that I would take on renting this house, but not have enough children to cover the cost of bills, etc. I worry that I would get over my head and not have the income coming in to cover it. When I look at costs, I would need 2-3 full time children to make it work with a little left over.
    Would this be too risky? How long was it before you found children to care for?
    I'm confident in my abilities, but not confident in the market!
    Any help/advice is appreciated!

Euphoric !
    All I can say is that I would not have considered this career if I did not have a husband with a solid career. For me, the job is too 'risky' and inconsistent to be a sole income.

I opened in January of this year. I started advertising in October of last year, signed my first family on in November, second family in December, Third and 4th families in February (one with an April start date). I have been open 2 months and I am full. I was being picky and I was staggering their start dates with 2-4weeks between children so this may have slowed down my signing of families.

But, I spent a TON of money before I had any families signed on and won't be truly profitable for a while yet as I am still adding to the daycare. The upfront costs were pretty huge. Though, I have a self contained daycare and I am charging $15 more than the average home daycare around so had to have higher quality set up etc. It can definitely be done a lot cheaper than I have done it but it is still an upfront cost to a business that is a bit 'iffy'. Not to mention Bill 143 may really mess things up and potentially make it hard to fill spaces, or at least some of the spaces. All my 5 kids are under 15months right now so I would lose 3 children if Bill 143 comes into play and I would likely not fill the over 2 spaces as those children are already settled in home daycares.

Hopefully some other providers can provide some concrete experience but I do feel that this job is risky as a sole income.

Have you considered being a nanny and bringing your child with you? I spent many years working as a nanny I was making $15 an hour, paid sick days and vacations, they deducted taxes and paid into CPP and EI and it was a very solid career due to my experience and education in the field.

This may be an lower up front cost way to work and still care for your child. I think I was bringing in about $35,000 a year (before taxes) but had no expenses and you would be able to live in a smaller house (lower rent).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't know what the market is like where you are but I do agree with Lee-Bee when she says this job can be inconsistent. There are times that the paydays are great but when you have a spot to fill and no one is looking, it's stressful!!

There are a couple poster's on here that are single mom's as well so hopefully they can offer you some advice! I would suggest if you do this, consider paying into EI so that you can at least have some of the benefits if anything were to happen to you! (extended sick leave or disability for example)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Hi Sunshinesmiles. I'm a single mother of 3 kids and I did it myself. I do get support from my ex, but I've never factored that into my budgeting as....well....I can't count on it. It comes sporadically. Yes, this job can be inconsistent. However, I've been doing it for 13 years and have done pretty well...have managed to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and even travel some. The first 11-12 years was in a rental house. The business finally went under there as it was a rural location, 2 large daycares moved into the area, near the school and the market just dried up there. However, now that I'm living in a much higher populated city/town, business is booming. It did take time to fill, but I didn't find it all that difficult to land 3 full time clients. I looked at our income exactly the same way you are...how many do I need to just get by? I researched my immediate competitors and did everything I could to stand out, which meant a big re-vamp. BUT, being brand new, no need for you to revamp! Yes, the business can be inconsistent. But if you really set yourself apart, market yourself effectively you'll put yourself in demand in time. When you've got a full house and things are good, tuck lots of money away so you don't have that initial freak out when someone leaves.

It's a lot of work, but very rewarding. I think it might be even more rewarding when it IS your sole source of income....those successes mean just that much more. I'm very proud of my little business and how it's grown. Don't be afraid....be aggressive. Good luck!!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I just started my daycare in February and this is the sole income for my family. I started planning 2 years ago, finishing basement, putting up a fence, baby proofing, preparing contracts etc. Then both my husband and I lost our job and it put our plan in full motion! Had no choice to start, luckily I was ready. Unfortunately this all happened around xmas time and well...not a lot of families look around that time of year. It was VERY Stressful. But i had planned for this so I had saved money to survive in this hard transition period. That saved us! January came and I was full within weeks! I now have 3 full-time dck, a fourth starting in April and one after school. I keep my adds up all the time and I currently have a waiting list for when my after school dck leaves.

You can make this happen if you work hard. But i suggest before you do this to definitely have money put aside to help as you will probably won't find kids that will all start right away! I had mine start 2-4 weeks apart and although not the greatest for a paycheck, it was a wonderful way to have them all transition well.

Other thing I suggest is don't wait for clients to come to you. Try to find clients yourself! I posted posters at local libraries, community centers, sent emails to family and friends, posted on several daycare sites (including this one) and replied to tons of 'wanted' adds on Kijiji. I found a lot of people that were looking for care there.

Other thing I suggest that helped me is stay positive and believe in the service you are offering. In my case every single client that came to visit wanted to sign up. I even turned families away.

Good luck with your plans and keep checking this site. I know for me this site has been amazing as a lot of dcp here have a lot of experience and can give really good insight on things.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you everyone for your advice and for sharing your personal experience I haven't been on this site for long but I love the support and community feel that I have seen so far. I appreciate it!
    I will be going to look at my friend's house tomorrow, and if the layout works for me then I might move in May 1st. That gives me a couple of months to organize myself and aim for a July start (unless I have families who are eager and willing to start earlier). I will also have a few months living expenses saved in case I don't have any families until September. Does anyone find the summer months to be slower?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunshinesmiles For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well I have a different experience ...... I start 4 years ago and started advertising in nov and got a couple of interviews .... At the end of jan I started a full time child and an after school child and in feb I started a part time child ...... I was not able to get any more for awhile .... My after school child finished up in June and then in aug I started a full time child that was going to full day jk in sept so only ft for one month then b and a after that ....then in oct I signed up a ft but starting in feb... Then in dec my pt left so I was back to a ft and a b and a ..... Then over the Xmas holidays I signed up three families starting the first week of jan and with my feb start I was now full .... I have remained full ever since .... But it took me a full year to become full.... So it depends on your area and what the demand is and how many providers are in your area . Good luck

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I find for the most part, summer stays relatively the same but there are a few differences. Some families take holidays and I charge a holiday fee so this lowers my income a bit (I do this to encourage parents to keep their children home when they are off and I don't mind the decrease in pay because it also means a decrease in my work!) I take a couple weeks holidays without pay as well.

If you have teacher's children they will usually pull their child out for the summer. However, there are always school aged children needing care just for the summer so even though I have always had teacher's children, it's never been a problem. I either find a summer only child or the teacher parent pays the holiday fee all summer to secure their spot for the Fall.

I also have a parent who is taking her nursing and will be off all summer but I am assuming she will find a summer job so I don't think her daughter's schedule will change here. I ask all parents to let me know their summer plans and holidays by May 15th (I think that's the date, I'll have to check my newsletter) so that I can know if I have spots to fill for the summer.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    When I started, I had my boy who I previously was a nanny for but only part time and I filled 2 ft spots immediately. For a long time I had those 3 plus another one who was more casual. Than the first summer I had 2 older siblings come for the summer only. Than a little less than a year after I started,about 10 months in, I was full. If I could go back and change anything, it would be that I charged ft for any child regardless of days here. Taking pt really messes up your income because it can be difficult to find 2 children to share a spot so that you are in ratio. I have had it work a few times BUT than one of them leaves and you have to find a child who can fill their exact schedule and that can be hard. It's really annoying.

I have said that I am no longer taking pt's but I can't charge ft rate when the option to come some days isn't there so I am stuck with taking pt's for awhile longer. Hopefully one day it all lines up and I can do ft only or at least charge for ft only but right now it just doesn't work out If this was my only household income than I would definitely not take part time unless they agreed to pay fulltime. Just my advice though...
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-07-2014 at 11:17 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I agree with Lee-Bee and 5LM. I think the DCP career is risky and inconsistent as a sole income. I couldn't do it as a sole income. I am so grateful that my husband makes a decent income alone. Part of the reason that home daycare works for me (aside from being home with my kids, which is #1) is that i am supplementing my husband's income and i don't feel pressured to always be full, which i am not looking for, i like a smaller group.

I also spent a lot of money upon start up at made barely any money the first and second year, i think just enough to pay back what it cost to start up. That, on top of a newer, bigger house, being new in a neighborhood and finding it difficult to find kids to care for was tough- throw in a layoff! My hubby got laid off, that took 10 yrs off my life but luckily within a month he found a new job.

With that all being said, i applaud with praise the women who did it alone. You serve as a good example that it can be done. Good on ya!!! To Sunshinesmiles- i wish you good luck. You found a great group of people that can give you very good advice and real life experiences.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post: