Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Time to workout? if so, when?

Ok ladies. After my roller-coaster of a ride in the last couple of years I'm ready to start getting in shape and healthy, losing my 'extra' weight. I’ve done it twice before (with my 2 first kids) but I had a lot more time on my hands than now. I had a gym at work so would go during lunch. Since I've had my third, and opening the daycare, I find it hard (almost impossible) to fit in working out.

I'm reaching out to those that have 3 kids, a daycare and finds the time to fit this in their schedule. When do you have time?

My days start at 6am and I don't stop till 8pm when all my kids are finally in bed. I do my laundry at night during the week so that I have my weekends with the family.

I'm starting a workout this morning, will try to do it Saturday and Sunday morning before my day starts but I'd like to workout at least 4-5 times a week to see results. Yesterday was the first nice day out in a while so I took an hour walk with the kids. But then they fell asleep and had a really hard time napping in the afternoon so not sure that will work!

Euphoric !
    Do your workout during afternoon nap time .... I never put kids in a stroller for that reason .... I want them to run around and be really tired at nap time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I've only done this a few times....I'm terrible at working out LOL...but I will go on the treadmill during their nap.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I do as much chores during the day so that I have my evenings free - laundry, dishes, everything. My husband and I tag team getting things cleaned up in the early evening, he gives the girls baths and gets them ready for bed while I clean up the kitchen and get ready for the next day. I bought a treadmill on final clearance and go on it in the evenings or in the morning on the weekends. I also try to be active with the kids during the day, once this horrible snow is gone we will be able to do much more.

If you need to do laundry in the evenings, do working out in between loads.

YouTube has all sorts of free workout videos and Zumba videos too.

It is impossible for me to go to a gym, so this as worked for me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

I think in terms of the guilt we feel for not working out in addition to working and taking care of our families, we should think about what we can do instead of what we envision to be the perfect picture of a mom working out at the gym.
    I recently read that doing a 10 minute work out a few times a day (get your heart rate up) is just as beneficial as doing that 30 work out. So if we go up and down the stairs for 5 minutes and then do squats or jump rope for the other 5 wouldn't that be fairly easy to fit a few times into our day? We could even do some of these exercises while watching the kids play.
    I beat myself up for the longest time for not being like that mom on tv that did it all and then went to the gym and didn't, like me, collapse on the couch in the early evening. I realized after I wore one of those step counters that I was putting in easy 5 to 7 thousand steps a day just walking and working around my house and being out with the kids. I was an active person and just needed to incorporate some heart healthy exercises into my day and have found it pretty easy to do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have an elliptical trainer on the other side of the gated area in the basement playroom so on days they are playing nicely during freeplay I can use it a bit. Although it tends to be in 5 minute spurts till someone needs me at least it is something. Have not done it hardly at all this winter because we have used the upstairs playroom more due to the chill, potty training and a new baby starting that does two naps. Hopefully in the spring will be able to get back down and using it more.

You should try high intensity interval training. You burn as many calories in about 25 minutes as you would being on the treadmill for an hour, if not more. I would make sure all your daycare kids are on the same sleep routine for afternoon nap if they arent already. If any of your own kids are home and don't nap then set some ground rules, and a set time that they can watch a movie or a 30-60minute time period of TV shows and then hit the treadmill, or put your exercise DVD on. You can get incredible interval training videos on youtube so it won't cost you anything and you will be done for the day in about 30 minutes. I see no reason why you should have to do exercise early in the morning or late at night if you have all your kids, or get all your kids on a regular schedule. Even if they don't nap for more than an hour or so, exercising is something that you obviously aren't going to be able to do with kids hanging around you, but putting a load of laundry on or doing the dishes and sweeping floors is something that can be done as you go along even with kiddos up, in smaller increments too or big cleaning tasks will only be once or twice a week whereas obviously 5 minutes of exercise will not do anything for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I suggest trying the Tony Horton 10 minute trainer. I lost a bit doing so and you have your choice of 10, 20 or 30 minute workouts daily. Regardless, you WILL be sweating. I also suggest following (or trying) their meal plan. Also, after my second, I went on a modified water cleansing diet (and yes, I was running a daycare then). It really helped me shed the pounds (and they never came back) and clear my body of the toxins. Yes you will be drained the first couple of days, so I suggest starting on a Friday, but you get used to it. But beware, the daycare lunches will look insanely more delicious.

If you want more info on the cleanse that I used, let me know!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ttremble88 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I do hot yoga once a week (usually... But not this week ha ha). I'll go to the 7:45 or 8:00 class and do any running around beforehand. It's lovely to escape the after dinner cleanup and bath/bed for the kids sometimes!

Though, to be honest, Its not enough to lose weight. It's probably a good maintenance plan. If only I could kick my m&ms habit. I'd be set!
    Last edited by 2cuteboys; 03-08-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Euphoric !
    My problem with exercising during the daycare day is that if it gets too intense which is great it means I really want a shower when I am done and well that just isn't possible. Even if they are all sleeping in theory not safe as it is akin to simply leaving the house - besides kids sleep in my bedroom.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast