Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

I was so excited for this week

So lately I've been really questioning this career choice. We literally just had 3 weeks straight of not being able to go outside and I blamed a lot of it on that.

On the plus side, after being outside with my kids all weekend, I was finally excited to start this week, I'm feeling refreshed - guess I just missed the outdoors.

Then I got an email tonight - DCM of 16 month old thinks he's been successful potty training this weekend, so she wants to give it a shot... Oy! This week is about to get a lot more complicated.

16months!!!!! Holy cow.....did she discuss this with you prior to starting....nothing worse than a parent who either excludes us from their plans, or trains to early and IMHO and experience, 16 months is far to early...good luck!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    That is early, but I've seen it be successful. I wouldn't stress over it or put too much pressure on yourself. Focus on being energized and feeling great. If the parents think it's time, put them on the potty after snack, lunch, and nap and see if they go. I wouldn't stress too much. I'm really happy you feel wonderful this week. I feel the same way after a beautiful weekend. Good luck and keep us posted.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Dcmom doesn't expect him/her to come to daycare without wearing a pull-up, does she?

If the kid is interested in sitting on the potty when everyone else does, great, but I damn sure would not be allowing them to come without pull-ups.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jammiesandtea For This Useful Post:

Glad you are feeling more upbeat. I had the same feeling last week and then on Friday we went out for 2 long leisurely walks in the sunshine and that seemed to reboot me.

Yeah, I've had that early declaration of a child being trained. Kids will first succeed at home and then they have to master the toilet at daycare. Pull ups are a definite must until they use the potty successfully at daycare for a few weeks. Can this child even tell you they have to go?
    Good luck with this parent!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    We'll see how it goes today.

Apparently child will tell mom when they need to go (very verbal in other areas) and will start "holding." I really prefer kids be able to do some portion of the routine independently, but if it's as cpnsistant as they say, I'll give it a shot. Really the only reason I like them to be independent is so that I don't have to leave the little ones alone as long... And really, he's the littlest one.

I don't have huge expectations and I already made it clear that he needs to be in a diaper this week and if he's very successful and moving on, he'll be put right back in trainers or diapers if he starts having accidents again. If it works, that's great, but I'm all about training the child, not me. For me to take him every hour at 16 months is not going to help anyone, just add to my workload, so if he's not communicating it to me, we'll hold off.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    Glad you are feeling more upbeat. I had the same feeling last week and then on Friday we went out for 2 long leisurely walks in the sunshine and that seemed to reboot me.

Yeah, I've had that early declaration of a child being trained. Kids will first succeed at home and then they have to master the toilet at daycare. Pull ups are a definite must until they use the potty successfully at daycare for a few weeks. Can this child even tell you they have to go?
    Good luck with this parent!!
    That is also what I was thinking Mimi. Not only is there the physiological capability of controlling bladder and bowel but the ability to communicate their need independently.When children claim to have been trained this early I hazard a guess that it is more like conditioned and partially trained not completely dry and out of pull ups/training pants within a few weeks, regardless of what anyone says. Never understand why some people rush to train so early when it would serve the child better to focus on more important psychosocial development at this age. I notice more and more that first child is rushed by parents, seems to be a bit of a competition, and then second child is held back as though parents don't want to lose their baby. Obviously that's a generalization but it is what I seem to be noticing more and more. In my experience when training is to early, it nearly always backfires at some point. I will not even entertain training a boy until 2 years and in most cases, depending on the child of course, I quite often recommend pushing it back till 2 1/2. The earliest I will do for girls is 2 but I have had a couple of girls a month or two younger ask to try the potty when an older one is training here who have resulted in unplanned training in a couple of days to the delight of parents but I'm talking 22 months at the youngest and it's a girl thing for sure. 16months is barely out of infancy. Fingers crossed it all goes well for you, there's always "that child" who breaks all the rules of development and if they do succeed then that's great news all around

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    We'll see how it goes today.

Apparently child will tell mom when they need to go (very verbal in other areas) and will start "holding." I really prefer kids be able to do some portion of the routine independently, but if it's as cpnsistant as they say, I'll give it a shot. Really the only reason I like them to be independent is so that I don't have to leave the little ones alone as long... And really, he's the littlest one.

I don't have huge expectations and I already made it clear that he needs to be in a diaper this week and if he's very successful and moving on, he'll be put right back in trainers or diapers if he starts having accidents again. If it works, that's great, but I'm all about training the child, not me. For me to take him every hour at 16 months is not going to help anyone, just add to my workload, so if he's not communicating it to me, we'll hold off.
    Sounds like you have a great plan to satisfy the parents request to train but also to have boundaries on what you are prepared to do for training at this age. Good Luck and let us know how you get on

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That is so funny because I got an email last night from my 18 month old's mom about potty training. I have two 2 year old's that I am discussing potty training with so obviously the 18 month old sees that. I wasn't really putting my focus on him yet but if he is ready than I will work with him as well. Right now we are reading the potty books, sitting on the potty occasionally, practicing pulling up and down their diapers/pants etc. These parents are fantastic though and in the email asked what I expect and what they should be doing. I ask that they are in pull ups for 2-3 weeks without any accidents, the child has to tell me they need to go and they need to dress themselves.

Sounds like you have a solid plan so hopefully it's not too stressful for you! Glad to hear you are feeling better too!! The weather is going to be nice all week so I am excited to get outside daily
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-10-2014 at 09:08 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

It sounds like I do similar to you 5LM in terms of prep work. I think it is a valuable lesson for the younger ones to see older kids training. We talk about it lots and practice how we ask to go potty and I have a boy and a girl potty book in duplicates which are out all the time. They can read them independently and I also read them to the group and 1 on 1 with training children encouraging them to tell me what happens next. It's cute as at the end of the book they say goodbye to pee pee and poopy as they flush and every child I have trained says goodbye every time now lol. I have additional copies that I lend to parents too so they can reinforce it at home. So far they have served me well