Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Open cups

Expansive...
    I use the Take and Toss type cups with lids, they are not expensive and don't have straws. Once they are around 4 years old I give them a small amount of water in a open cup and practice where to keep the cup on the table so it doesn't get knocked over. But they don't get to walk around with the open cups, it is only for when we are sitting and eating. I wouldn't even consider open cups for your age group, it will just result in a bunch of wet kids and stress for you.

Euphoric !
    Thanks all. I didn't even think of the take and toss sippy cups. I will pick some up. I can easily wash those each night in the dishwasher. The straw sippy cups are a pain to take all the pieces apart to wash so I was really hoping to avoid that with milk cups!

Euphoric !
    I also only serve water unless the parent supply's milk and I never let them walk around with cups ever!!!! They get their cups at mealtimes and if they want a drink in between those times they come and sit on the area rug in the kitchen and they get the cup.

Euphoric !
    I also only give their cups at the table. They are colour coded but the kids are too young and if they are out they just lick all the cups. I save the cups until the very end of the meal, after I wash hands and faces they get their cup while I scrub down the floor and table. Being so young they are quite messy so clean up takes a few minutes. Also, by leaving the cup until last their hands and face are clean and I don't have to wash the cups after each use.

Starting to feel at home...
    Phew I thought I was the only one who doesn't use open cups. The parents can teach them that at home.

Outgoing
    I use cups with lids here, I don't need to keep cleaning spills all day. And my older kids get lids with straws here, tupperware has these cups with a resealable hole for the straw. They are great.

My son was in a montessori daycare so there were no sippy cups. he went straight to a cup as soon as he could sit up. at home we bought heavy bottomed shot glass as they were the perfect size for little hands and if he spills it is not a big deal

i am sorry but how does giving a 4 year old child a baby cup help foster independence. Young toddlers are very capable of using a regular cup. yes it is messy at first so only put a sip at a time. As educators we should not be treating young children like infants. they are more capable than you think

Starting to feel at home...
    It depends on the child for me. I have a very clumsy "young" 2.5 yr old that I'm not even considering switching to an open cup. He gets a take and toss cup with lid. But I had my son on an open cup by then.

I agree with the PP who said that the parents can take the lead teaching that particular skill. I don't have time at lunch to clean up spills from 5 kids.

Euphoric !
    I have cups with plastic straws (from the dollar store) for kids over 2. Under 2 gets a take and toss cup. I give my daughter an open cup when daycare is over. We practice with open cups outside in summer but someone always spills one. Not going to happen in the house no matter what age! I have enough things to clean up.