Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Open cups

Euphoric !

Open cups

At about what age do you all introduce cups with no lids?

I have a group of 12-15month olds right now that all use a spill proof straw cup for water throughout the day. A few are now okay to start some cows milk here at daycare. I don't feel like using the straw cups as I'll have to wash them more. I don't want to buy more of the cups as they were $8 each and won't be used long enough to justify buying a whole second batch.

I am contemplating using open cups for milk at lunch. I'd only give about an ounce of milk and I would do hand over hand until they manage on their own. Is this worthwhile at 12months? Or am I just making a lot more work/mess for myself?

I give them cups with no lids at 18mo that is around when most seem ready to drink from them with no assistance. 12months I think it is too early.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    I give them cups with no lids at 18mo that is around when most seem ready to drink from them with no assistance. 12months I think it is too early.
    What she said

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I also begin giving lidless cups around 18mths of age, sometimes earlier/later based on the ability of the children.

One thing I like to do before going to lidless cups is to give sippy cups without the valves (or whatever piece that is used to make the cup "spillproof".) This makes the water/milk just pour out instead of the kids sucking on the spout, and gets them used to drinking more carefully. It also makes for easier clean up

Euphoric !
    I don't do cups with no lids for the most part, definitely not with any kids under 2. I have the cups with the straws that I got from the dollar store. In summer when we go outside for afternoon snack I give all kids their water in an open cup and that is how we practice because then it isn't a big deal if they spill. In the house it is closed cups for all kids with their water. Their cups sit on the table all day. When I give the kids their milk those over 2 get it in an open cup, those under 2 get it in their sippy cup.

Euphoric !
    all my kids have cups with lids and parents supply cups. even if you were to buy those ones called 'take and toss" they come in a package of four at walmart and are fairly reasonable.

Euphoric !
    I thought I was alone on this so thanks Crayola. All my kids have cups with lids. Why add stress with spills etc? My 4 yo still drinks milk out of a sippy cup. All the kids have water bottle they provide and they are more the ones with straws.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I am like mickyc...I only use tall cups with hard plastic sippy lid. If they are older than 12 months I just take the valve out. Love these cups, I have tons, they go in the dishwasher and are $1.88 each at Walmart.

Euphoric !
    I ask that all parents bring sippy cups that can stay here. They usually bring two, one for water and one for milk. I buy the dollar store kinds for outside in the summer, usually just water bottle types. I find that some kids have preferences to the type of cups so having the parents bring them is easier. I have a few that I keep on hand but rarely have to use them. If a child has a really nice cup, I will use one of my older ones when I go the park or something like that so I don't loose it! haha.

I have just started to very occasionally give my kids cups with no lids and it really has no rhyme or reason other than it's usually afternoon snack after all the dishes are done and I don't want to wash the sippy cups again lol. Or if we are upstairs, they get get disposable cups. Mine are 18 months, 2 two year olds and a 2.5 year old. When I had older kids in the past (4, 6, 7 years) they all had cups with no lids though.

Euphoric !
    All of my kids use cups with lids the entire time they are with me. I prefer to not ever use the no spill insert though so they get the liquid without a lot of effort. Going lidless is something they can do at home. One less chance for a spill here and in the grand scheme of things it is not my job to teach kids everything. One they go to school many elementary kids get a no spill cup in their lunchbox so not a big deal. Even adults use sippy bottles or lidded coffee cups on their desks at work.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: