Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

And then there were 2....Daycare Gods must be mad at me :(

I posted in previous threads about losing two dck's by April and May. Both Great kids and great clients! One is moving, the other is going on Mat. leave.

Today I answered my door to a very upset dcm, with tears streaming down her face. She lost her job today

I"m down to 2 kids in the next few weeks. Wish me luck folks. I'm going to need it. What else?? Maybe client 4 gets sucked into the abyss and client 5 goes into the witness protection program or something?

I'm advertising up the yin yang for the last couple of weeks...and nadda. Just a bite here and there about my rates.

I HATE this part of the job. The uncertainty. Looks like we will be dipping heavily into our savings

Starting to feel at home...
    It sounds like you are still a little upbeat. I'm glad your holding your high. When things don't go as planned my husband and I always make a joke about it. It seems to lighten the mood., It does suck especially when you are losing so many at one time. I hope things pick up for you soon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I feel for you!! I lost 3 at the end of June last year. They gave me lots of notice but it was still rough, financially and emotionally. My fiance is also off all summer so money is even tighter around than. It turned out to be a great summer though....lots of field trips, quiet/easy/short days and by Fall I was full again.

I know it's tough but it does get better!!

(oh my goodness, as I was typing this, a dcm just let me know that she got accepted to the daycare at her college and will be subsidized so she is going to take the spot. I understand why she is leaving but awww ) Guess I'm in the same boat as you!

I so get it, this September I am down to 1 full time, and 2 pt sharing a spot. I have 2 mat leaves and 1 going to full time school and a mom and dad posted somewhere far away. This is the part of the job I hate. If I don't get 2 ft clients it's over, I will have to close and go back to working outside the home again after 9 years. Sucks to be me. I am having serious anxiety about it. If anyone has tips to attract new clients please pass them on to me if you don't mind. I advertise, give business cards all over and talk to so many people my voice hurts I guess my area is just tough as there are many daycares and an older population. Sigh

Euphoric !
    When I have a spot open, I look at my ad and change it a bit. I add in new things, add new pictures (of things we do and my dc space). I also let all my current parents know so they can pass on my name to friends/family/coworkers.

I've never done this but could you put flyers at local grocery stores, churches, play groups, play places etc?
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-26-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: down? I meant done lol

Expansive...
    I experienced the same thing , lost a dcf with 2 dcgs , full time !!! I tried to fill but then one dcb left on mat leave , one part time left for subsidy !
    Went to half my income in a month !!!
    I was upset of course !!! Then I rearranged my part timers so I have 5-6 dck Monday to Wednesday !!! So much better for me !! I wouldn't of picked it but sometimes life works out better !!!

I'm sorry you're going through is. I've just opened so I haven't gone through this...yet.

I have put flyers up and they work. I put them in mailboxes where I saw strollers/toys out, city pool, library, school, park and community center. I sent a email to all friends and family with details and asked everyone to pass my email along.

One thing that got me more traffic is I responded to 'wanted'ads on Kijiji, Craigslist online. I posted on every site I could find.

I also asked friends to post my poster at their work in their lunch rooms.

I offered drop-ins until I filled up. I had some that ended up on my waiting list for full-time for when they return to work, so it paid off.

I also always look at my ads and made any changes. I even offered a special rates to clients that would register right away.

I think that's all I have. I really hope things turn around for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Outgoing
    Oh my other mummy....I know how stressful it is to lose so many families at once. It's also really hard to say goodbye to awesome children and their families.

I myself am still trying to fill some spots after moving, so far for me at my new location I found a child on daycare bear, a postcard flyer I put in mailboxes and I took over a child from my sister who also has a dc.

Good luck!

Shy
    Good luck to you. This is the one part of the job that certainly takes a financial toll! It does get better, keep advertising and I am sure one or two more kids will come your way soon.

OH I feel for you! I"m in the same boat right now! I have been advertising since September and had nothing but a few interested emails. I will admit I am picky and specific to the client I would like. But it seems like a desert right now! Fingers crossed you will get someone soon. I only have one PT child right now. Really need at least one more full timer! Good luck, I hope it changes quickly for you.