Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Alphabet float mats

I purchased these
    http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answe.../questions.htm

They are foam floor mats with the alphabet but they letters actually pop out like a puzzle.

I didn't really read the packaging properly and thought that the letters were just printed on them, I didn't realize that they actually came apart.

They were kind of expensive, $40.00. Enough that unless they work in the space I'd like to return them.

Do you think that they will become more work, with the kids taking them apart and me having to continually help them put it together. Or could I teach them to leave them alone, and if they do take the apart they are in charge of putting them together? Space is also an issue, they take up a lot of space so would be a pain with some kids wanting to play in the same space as the mat, and I imagine it getting quite messy. I was thinking I could bring it out sometimes to play with as a big group puzzle, or I could somehow attach it to the wall so it can be played with.
    My group is 2-5 years if that helps.

Outgoing
    What I did was taped the back with duck tape, this prevents the kids from taking them apart.

Euphoric !
    I have those on my walls for protection against dings, marks and handprints lol. I bought two sets and have them 2 high all around the playroom with just a few spaces (I don't bother putting them behind the big shelves and kitchen set because they block the wall anyways). I think I got them on sale for $20 though. They will sometimes take the letters out but I just tell them that they are for the wall and we don't touch them. I have lost a few pieces in the beginning while I was still teaching them that we don't touch them haha. They are super easy to wash down. I have them taped to the wall with green painters tape and I have the letters taped on too now.

I bought a few packs of the 4 large mats. I have 12 of those (4x3) in one area of the floor for softer play and than the rest of the area is just the carpet. They are also super easy to wash with either a wet cloth or a wet swiffer.

Euphoric !
    You can use a hot glue gun to glue them together (I imagine the duct tape would work just as good as well). I have foam mats under my slide and I glued them together. I didn't get the kind with the letters just because I figured the kids would pick at them and try and take it out.

Euphoric !
    I find Canadian tire not the greatest for returning things ... If there is nothing wrong with it then they don't let you bring it back !!

Euphoric !
    Aren't they a germ magnet? I know lots of daycare like to use them but they seem like they would trap all the bodily fluids in the cracks between the pieces and be hard to clean.

I'd rather my kids fall on a hard floor, that I can properly clean. They learn fast how to fall properly.

Expansive...
    I had ABC mats in my daycare room for three years. Every year I would buy a new set because the kids do take them apart - munch on certain letters and after a while your M and your N look horrible and keep sticking up.

This January I finally got fed up and just bought the 24 inch by 24 inch coloured floor mats from Walmart.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/reversib.../6000016938626

They have worked better because they are harder to pry up due to their size.

I think younger kids (i.e 12 months-15 months) are the worst offenders in trying to pry them apart and chew on the foam. My first 2 groups of daycare were not as bad as the current but I have always found I had to put a letter or two back every couple of hours regardless.

It's too bad because the ABC floor mats were fun to use as a letter teaching tool for 3 years and up. I would ask them to hop from one letter to the other or hop onto H and now hop onto B. It was fun for the kids....but my patience ran thin eventually
    Last edited by Spixie33; 03-06-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    Aren't they a germ magnet? I know lots of daycare like to use them but they seem like they would trap all the bodily fluids in the cracks between the pieces and be hard to clean.

I'd rather my kids fall on a hard floor, that I can properly clean. They learn fast how to fall properly.

Yes I guess you can say that the mats can capture germs but so can every other toy or surface kids play on/ with. It's impossible to have a sterile environment, and IMO kids need to be exposed to germs to help build their immune systems.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have those and the kids rarely take them apart and when they do I ask them to out them back when they're done. Never been an issue for me...yet I like them personally.

I have the large 24x24 in my laundry room because it's unfinished and I hate walking on concrete floors. They're also great to have.

As for cleaning, I vacuum them and once in a while will wipe them off to disinfect them but only when need be.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Teagansmom View Post
    Yes I guess you can say that the mats can capture germs but so can every other toy or surface kids play on/ with. It's impossible to have a sterile environment, and IMO kids need to be exposed to germs to help build their immune systems.
    I have no delusions about being germ free here :-) Kids are exposed to germs and builder a better immune system for sure but I just think that leaving vomit, spit up, diaper accidents in the open is a bit much. I can't imagine taking them apart to clean each shape edge!

I don't keep my daycare sterile (or even close to it) but I do like to be able to do a good quick clean of the wood floors or a steam clean a carpet after any of the above childhood accidents. Maybe I just have a really young group so the above is more likely to happen.