Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Toddler HATES the outdoors

Any outdoor loving providers out there?!?!

I have a dcb (1.5 years) who has been with me since October. He's never been a big fan of our outside playtime, but with the weather being how it's been, I couldn't really blame him. Earlier in the year he wasn't really steady on his feet, and with all the snow on the ground he had a hard time walking around. Then he got better at manoeuvring, but it was so cold. To be honest, I didn't like it either, but when went when we could and I just limited our time and held him for the majority of it.

Now it's warm, the toys are out again, there are a ton of fun puddles in the yard, and he still hates it. He's clingy, won't play with/on the toys, cries over EVERYTHING (unless he's already crying - it was 1/2 hour straight today). The only time he's happy is when he's in the swing, and even then he cries if I walk too far away (he's strapped in). Then of course he starts falling asleep so I have to take him out again.

I have an older group 4, 4, 3, 2 - but more like a 3, and this little one, so the gross motor stuff is really important to me, and I just want them to love being outside, especially since we have winters like this one where we can barely go out.

I'm not willing to limit my outdoor time. It's just not going to happen. Any ideas for how to get this kid to like being outdoors? It's not like there isn't anything to do, he won't engage even when I bring him toys and play with him. I'm getting to the point where I just want to put him down and leave him. If he ever stops crying and starts to play I'll give him positive reinforcement and such. Is that a bit harsh?

Euphoric !
    I don't think that's harsh. I don't hold any children outside (unless they are hurt and I'm comforting them). I am not an outdoor winter loving person but we still go out when we can. This year I was lucky, there was minimal crying outside (the handful of times we did actually get to go out) but last year I had children who didn't like snow. The kids who like it play, I stand and watch and the crying kids stand/sit and cry LOL. I'm sure the neighbours love me!! There were a few times last year that I brought out the wagon and they were allowed to sit in there because I do think that 20-45 minutes of sitting on the snow would get too cold.

PS. I am so jealous that you have puddles already!! My backyard is still a mountain of snow with a round spot of grass from where I kept it shoveled for the kids to play

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Lol. SOOOO jealous of your puddles! We are currently expecting 15cm of snow today, but I am pretty sure that we have already surpassed that.

I have a 23 month old dcg that hates the outside as well. I do not go out when I have my younger group, but if we are going, she does not have a choice.

Once the warmer weather hits it will be interesting. I recently took on a 30 month old dcb that is not allowed much sun exposure as he produces to much Vitamin D. But seeing that I am going to have a newborn, I plan on spending as much time as possible outside, just for my sanity sake. I informed his mother that we will be outdoors a lot. I guess we will see how that works out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ttremble88 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    No that isn't harsh. I don't hold any kids outside either! I have a new boy transitioning (we are on week 4). He is 1 next week. We haven't been out too much but this week is so much warmer than it has been so we have been out everyday. He just cries and cries. I put him in the wagon - he still cries. Eventually he will just accept that we go out and eventually stop. I am big on going outside and like to spend a lot of time out there so he will just have to adjust, but I refuse to hold him all the time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks!

I can't believe you are still getting snow! And I thought us westerners got all the crap weather! Guess I should be extra thankful this afternoon!

Expansive...
    I have twins , age 2 , one hates outside, spends the whole time crying ! I just kinda ignore it . Outside play is a must , so I make sure he can be involved if he likes and continue playing ! My one neighbour is all young guys so they are gone during the day , bothers no one !!