Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Fed-up and frustrated

I received news yesterday that one of my daycare families are moving and I will be loosing $1,400.00 per month. I find it hard to find families in my neighborhood. I have a website, advertise on Kijiji and on daycare bear, have placed a flyer at the bank and local restaurant. There are three daycare centre in our neighborhood. I will be down to two kids. It's going to be two years since I moved to this neighborhood. The rate here is $35.00 per day which I never agreed. I came from Riverside South and the rate was $45.00 per day.

I have decided to go back to work and my daughter-in-law can take over my daycare if my two families are on board. I hope, I find a job soon.

I am so sorry to hear this but can totally relate. December 2012 I lost a pair of siblings and just like that BAM...down $1700 a month and it was right before Xmas. It is the nature of the job for sure and probably one of the worst factors of our job. It seems like you have a good plan to take care of your needs by finding work outside of the home while still thinking of your remaining families by setting them up with your DIL. I assume the two families have 1 child each and if that's the case at $35 per child per day, that's less than minimum wage before all of your daycare related expenses so I don't blame you for looking for work outside the home. It just doesn't make any sense to work for that small amount especially if as you said filling your spots will be so difficult. Maybe consider continuing your advertising, and look into anywhere else you may be able to in the meantime while you search for a new job and fingers crossed you find the perfect job or another family comes along to fill the spots. I do miss a consistent and reliable income which this job just doesn't give.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

What would you rather be doing? Daycare or working out side of the home? Are you charging the $45/day?

Thank you Bright Sparks. I resign my Administrative Assistant job to stay home to take care of my children. My late mother-in law, she had Alzheimer's and my late father-in-law who passed away of lung cancer. I needed to be home for my children and in-laws. It was crazy and sometimes, I wonder how I did it. I am looking forward to returning to work it will be a nice change for me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pink For This Useful Post:

The rate in my neighborhood is $35.00 per day. I am seeking a permanent full-time Administrative Assistant position, I have over 15 years of experience.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pink For This Useful Post:

Good luck to you pink. With your years of experience I hope you find a great job quickly.

It's funny that you posted this as I felt like doing the same this week. Although I haven't lost a client, I felt overwhelmed this week. I'm over tired and not feeling well. My husband has been home from the beginning which makes having a hdc much easier. But he is returning to working days in the next few weeks so I'm a little sad about that. And this week being a difficult one, I'm second guessing myself. I'm sure it will pass.

I wish you luck with your job search! I'm sure you'll find something quick!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

That is the downside of this business. One week you are turning clients away, the next you lose 2 or 3 within a short timed frame.

I'm in that boat. I'll be losing 2 dck's by May. One is moving the other will be at home with mum whilst she is on mat. leave.

Good luck in your new (old) career path

Expansive...
    I'm realizing this job makes me feel more and more like a cheesy sales person !! It's a commission job !! Unless everything works out perfectly one month I brought a certain amount the next month exactly half !!!!
    Trying to find a balance between my business my rules and keeping clients is a hard one !! I have dcm that sends outside clothes on the days she wants her children to go outside !! Twice I've gotten a text ready to send off and then thought , is this worth maybe losing two great kids ?? Ugh !!! I know she is dictating my day and it burns me but I looked in the ads and there are so many choices out there !!!
    There are so many interesting dayhomes , licensed and unlicensed !! Offering educational programs ect , so it's not as if I'm the best out there !! There are a lot of great women running great dayhomes !! All in the same daily rate . So it's a choice I'm making right now , to deal with it . Until I feel like I'm able to replace a family more easily .
    Good luck in your new job !!!! It sounds as if you need a break from being a caretaker !!! I wish you all the best !!!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondtimearound View Post
    I'm realizing this job makes me feel more and more like a cheesy sales person !! It's a commission job !! Unless everything works out perfectly one month I brought a certain amount the next month exactly half !!!!
    Trying to find a balance between my business my rules and keeping clients is a hard one !! I have dcm that sends outside clothes on the days she wants her children to go outside !! Twice I've gotten a text ready to send off and then thought , is this worth maybe losing two great kids ?? Ugh !!! I know she is dictating my day and it burns me but I looked in the ads and there are so many choices out there !!!
    There are so many interesting dayhomes , licensed and unlicensed !! Offering educational programs ect , so it's not as if I'm the best out there !! There are a lot of great women running great dayhomes !! All in the same daily rate . So it's a choice I'm making right now , to deal with it . Until I feel like I'm able to replace a family more easily .
    Good luck in your new job !!!! It sounds as if you need a break from being a caretaker !!! I wish you all the best !!!!
    Is there no way to bring this issue up without worrying about losing them? I always bring up anything that is an issue with a smile on my face and an explanation for why it is important. I feel for you, that is a sucky situation.