Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Need a Pep Talk...accepted a 12 month old into my program

First let me say I've been doing daycare for years. Having said that my crew consists of 2.5yrs - 3 yrs of age. The last time I cared for an infant that young was when I first started my daycare. This was almost 4 years ago and my own dd was 12 months and I had another little dcg who was 13months. So...it's been awhile.

My crew is very active. I'm wondering how other providers handle a mixed age group? My crew aged up together and when one left I always replaced with a similar aged child. However, it's getting more difficult to find 2 and 3 year olds. I was swamped with requests for infant care as moms are coming off maternity leave. As it is, I have a waiting list for September and October with 3 moms looking for care.

I've avoided infant care (under 18 months) for as long as I could, but decided to take on this 12 month old for purely selfish reasons (I looooove babies ) Parents seem like a really good fit, the child is very easy going and loves her sleep. Sounds great!

How do you other providers mix up an age difference in your crew? I'm going to have to invest in some age appropriate toys, but other than that? Do you gate off a section of your daycare during freeplay?

Ackkk....I'm nervous. Lucky for me my sister in law is now working 3 days a week at my daycare until September 2015. this will help tremendously.

Don't be nervous! You have help most days and babies love to try to fit into the group dynamic (most anyway) It sounds like this child is a good fit and I find my older kids love having a baby (12mths) around because they feel like big kids and like to help. The child is old enough of sit in a wagon or put child in a stroller when you go for walks.
    A little adjustment and this child will be a great addition and you get those wonderful baby cuddles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My crew is 2.5 down to 2 and I just took on a 10 month old. I've done this kind of thing lots of times and it's always been fine. This little guy isn't even up on his feet yet, so there was a bit of concern for that. I have to be a bit more diligent in reminding the children that there is a young. baby on the floor, so they must be more careful. I've perhaps put a bit more structure into our day so as to keep everyone busy and off the new baby. So far, so good! The older kids love the baby and the baby loves the older kids. Today, as they all played with the garage in the corner, the older kids were singing 'Old McBubbub' (Old McDonald but with my dad's 'grandpa' name). For quite some time afterward, new baby was singing 'eieieieiiiiiii' loudly.

So cute it hurts

Enjoy your little one! You'll fall into your comfort zone before you know it!

Starting to feel at home...
    When I took in my 12 month old, the majority of my group was 2-3, plus the b/a school kids. Everything worked out well. The baby loves the big kids and the older kids either love him or go abouts their normal day as if he is not there. You should be fine!!!

Euphoric !
    Agree with the other ladies! You will be fine

I am the same as you, I like to take on older kids (18 months and up) but like everywhere, infant care is always the highest demand. I do admit I like to start the little ones during spring to fall as I find winter so much work to get them upstairs and downstairs and in their snow gear plus help all the others ones. I started off with a 8 and 10 month old and 2 two year olds and it was November. We stayed in a lot that winter as I just found it too difficult to get both non walking, non climbing children up the stairs. Come Spring, it was wonderful!!

Outgoing
    I love the little ones! They're my favorite. I love watching them turn into hilarious little 18 month olds. I actually was a bit disappointed that my new boy starting turns two next week. But he seems cute and the family is great, so I'll get over it. Lol

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Mummy View Post
    First let me say I've been doing daycare for years. Having said that my crew consists of 2.5yrs - 3 yrs of age. The last time I cared for an infant that young was when I first started my daycare. This was almost 4 years ago and my own dd was 12 months and I had another little dcg who was 13months. So...it's been awhile.

My crew is very active. I'm wondering how other providers handle a mixed age group? My crew aged up together and when one left I always replaced with a similar aged child. However, it's getting more difficult to find 2 and 3 year olds. I was swamped with requests for infant care as moms are coming off maternity leave. As it is, I have a waiting list for September and October with 3 moms looking for care.

I've avoided infant care (under 18 months) for as long as I could, but decided to take on this 12 month old for purely selfish reasons (I looooove babies ) Parents seem like a really good fit, the child is very easy going and loves her sleep. Sounds great!

How do you other providers mix up an age difference in your crew? I'm going to have to invest in some age appropriate toys, but other than that? Do you gate off a section of your daycare during freeplay?

Ackkk....I'm nervous. Lucky for me my sister in law is now working 3 days a week at my daycare until September 2015. this will help tremendously.
    I had a couple of infants a few years ago (of which one is still here and 3 now) along with the toddlers and preschoolers. It can definitely be tricky if they're not walking yet and if they're still having 2 naps a day. I've found it to be so much easier with the older kids. I have an interview with a parent of a soon to be 12 month old. I've discussed the fact that I only do one nap a day and she's willing to accommodate that and she seems really excited to see the daycare and meet me. She got a referral from a previous client. But I have to say that I'm a little nervous about how the 12 month is going to integrate with the older kids and vice versa. One of my clients whose 4 yo daughter started here in October mentioned that she's glad that I don't have babies so I'm also a little concerned about that.

Outgoing
    Ok, I guess I should have read the whole thread. Now I feel better!