Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hatching Chicks

Euphoric !

Hatching Chicks

We are going to hatch chicks in April. I have the incubator but I need some fertilized eggs. Anyone know anyone that sells hatching eggs in the GTA? There are a few places on Kijiji listed but I thought I would ask here as well

Also, I want to hatch butterflies as well. I remember people talking on here about it and there is a company you can purchase the chrysalis from. Anyone have that info?

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    I have no info but what a cool idea!! Hope it all works out for you!!

Euphoric !
    I got some last year from Queensville Farm Supply - (905)478-4180. It's about 10 mins north of Newmarket, so not sure if convenient for you.

They also carry live chicks there....just in case

Expansive...
    Just curious, but what are you going to do with the chicks once they hatch...and when they are no longer chicks?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

I plan to do frogspawn and then have a local pond to take the newbie frogs to so we can give them a new home. I'm going to start prepped my pond in a pot at the beginning of April and give it a month to be built up and prepped for them. Its a very small window of opportunity to do frogspawn but I am very excited....childhood memories with this and the chicks too back in primary school I'd love to do the chicks. Where did you get your incubator from? I live in Niagara Region but my hubby works in Vaughan a lot which isn't to far from Newmarket up the 400 so I'd have him collect them from the place cfred mentioned.

Euphoric !
    AmandaKDT has a good point. Make sure you've got something sorted out for your little fluffies. Most farmers won't take them as they're not vaccinated. Also, they're absolutely filthy!!! I did this last summer. Dear god...they don't really leave till feathered and they were mighty stinky by the time they moved out. I was changing their paper several times/day. And they ALWAYS stand and poo in their water....no idea why.

Make sure they imprint to you when hatching so, if you take them outside, they'll follow you around and not wander too much. All you have to do is be the first one they see and you're automatically 'mummy'. I've hatched a number of times for school projects and for daycare. Fun stuff!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    AmandaKDT has a good point. Make sure you've got something sorted out for your little fluffies. Most farmers won't take them as they're not vaccinated. Also, they're absolutely filthy!!! I did this last summer. Dear god...they don't really leave till feathered and they were mighty stinky by the time they moved out. I was changing their paper several times/day. And they ALWAYS stand and poo in their water....no idea why.

Make sure they imprint to you when hatching so, if you take them outside, they'll follow you around and not wander too much. All you have to do is be the first one they see and you're automatically 'mummy'. I've hatched a number of times for school projects and for daycare. Fun stuff!
    We raised chicken to slaughter for a few years when I was a child, and all I really remember of them is being really dumb and really dirty/stinky. They are cute as new chicks, but that doesn't last long. But if you have it all sorted out, then it will be a cool experience for everyone.

Outgoing
    Hi - i really wanted to try hatching chicks but don't think I'll get to it this year. So instead, I just wanted do to share that the dcks and I have been watching videos on hatching chicks, robins eggs etc. The kid's jaws hang open and love to watch this process in awe. Not as great as the real thing but the best I can do for now. They love it!

Shy
    aww the pic didn't show up :/ anyone know how i can add just like a pic with out posting like a long url its like ugly nd im too tiered for any more copy paste sorry guys lol