Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Proposed changes in bill 143...

I was talking with my mom and her best friend, who are both site supervisors at OEYC centres and we were discussing bill 143 and how the changes would effect their centres and how it would effect my home daycare.

They told me that if the bill is passed that one of the changes will be that ALL home daycare providers MUST have their ECE diploma in order to continue providing care. Well I have looked over the bill and I have searched the internet over and I can't find that being said anywhere. Has anyone else heard of is??

The only things I've seen about unlicensed home daycares is that with the bill passed, we will need to tell parents that we are unlicensed, and that we do or do not have our ECE diploma, and the ratio changes.

And the only things I've seen about you must have your ECE diploma is if you work in a centre, or any other program with children... And even then existing employees will be grandfathered in it will only by for new employees.

So I'm assuming my mother and her friend were mistaken, I can't even see how that would be able to be enforced...

I have not seen anything about this either. With respect, I wish that people would get their facts straight and back up information they are passing on prior to doing so. There is so much confusion surrounding childcare legalities to begin with and now the bill that unless you are absolutely certain on what you are saying, then its best to say nothing at all. If in doubt direct people to the government page to read through the proposed changes themselves.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That would be the worst government move ever. As far as I could guess most, the large majority, of home daycares would be shut down. I have my ECE, as do some on here, but most do not. It is a 2yr degree. Most home daycare providers wouldn't even want to take the degree (if they are home for a few years with their kids and not doing this forever).

I don't believe the government would even try this move. They would have mass chaos as most of the provinces families would be without care. The implications of such a move are very wide spread.

Not that the proposed plan isn't going to have very big, negative impacts...but the additional need of an ECE diploma would wipe most companies out as their workers would have to be home with their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I have not seen anything about this either. With respect, I wish that people would get their facts straight and back up information they are passing on prior to doing so. There is so much confusion surrounding childcare legalities to begin with and now the bill that unless you are absolutely certain on what you are saying, then its best to say nothing at all. If in doubt direct people to the government page to read through the proposed changes themselves.
    Completely agree! So many people are making speculative guesses.

GO READ THE BILL! Yep, that's what I want to shout!

I have read the bill and it does NOT say you have to have your ECE. What it DOES say is that you can not refer to yourself as an 'ECE' unless you are registered with the college of ECEs, which, makes you an RECE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    That would be the worst government move ever. As far as I could guess most, the large majority, of home daycares would be shut down. I have my ECE, as do some on here, but most do not. It is a 2yr degree. Most home daycare providers wouldn't even want to take the degree (if they are home for a few years with their kids and not doing this forever).

I don't believe the government would even try this move. They would have mass chaos as most of the provinces families would be without care. The implications of such a move are very wide spread.

Not that the proposed plan isn't going to have very big, negative impacts...but the additional need of an ECE diploma would wipe most companies out as their workers would have to be home with their kids.
    I think there should be some mandatory training for those without an ECE diploma and if that was requested under the new bill then I think a set amount of time say 12mths should be given to those currently working without any form of training in childcare. To grandfather everyone in for an indefinite period of time would not be fair and wouldn't solve a lot of the issues that would be the reasoning for mandatory training in the first place. Now I think that people can do a great job without such training, but I think that everyone should be held to some sort of standard if licensing is to be brought in, just like it is for any other licensing that requires minimum qualifications and/or supervised work experience to be allowed to work unsupervised. Those already doing a great job would have an opportunity to network, and in all likelihood we could all learn something from taking some courses, even the best of us, there is no shame in that. And the daycare providers doing a less than mediocre job will have the opportunity to learn and grow or give up the job if they didn't want to get up to speed. I don't think the ECE requirement is appropriate as some of the content isn't even relative to a home setting so a course would be best tailored to our role specifically. Also just wanted to clarify that an ECE diploma takes 2 years but an ECE degree is 4 years so the diploma would be an issue to do over 2 years in the first place but the actual degree wouldn't be viable and is going way above and beyond the requirements for doing home daycare.

Shy
    Just to clarify, I have READ the bill. Which is why I argued this with my mom and her friend in the first place. But I wanted to ask on here just incase there was something I missed as it wasn't the easiest thing to read!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dshtebazile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dshtebazile View Post
    Just to clarify, I have READ the bill. Which is why I argued this with my mom and her friend in the first place. But I wanted to ask on here just incase there was something I missed as it wasn't the easiest thing to read!
    Yes, I knew this. Our remarks about this thread were directed to those who are acting on assumptions or second hand info and haven't take the time to actually read the Bill themselves.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I think there should be some mandatory training for those without an ECE diploma and if that was requested under the new bill then I think a set amount of time say 12mths should be given to those currently working without any form of training in childcare.
    I know that this has nothing to do with what you are facing in Ontario, but I found it really interesting anyways. This is exactly what is required in Manitoba to get licensed. If you don't have your ECE diploma, you have to complete a 40 hour course (I get to pick between a few different courses, based on what I think would be the most useful to myself.) You have one year to get it done after your complete the licensing process.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I will be retiring in app. 5 years. I've been doing home daycare for a long time. I certainly hope that whatever they inforce upon us is doable without "great cost" or time. From what I'm reading you gals seem to feel they will impose licensing on us. From what I read it will just make us "want" to be licensed "not be forced". Or did I read that wrong?

Euphoric !
    You didn't read it wrong. Licensing is what they hope we will want and think adding another child ie making us do more work for less pay will actually be an incentive. Most agencies can't fill the spaces they have under contract now and providers have to go out and find their own kids in many areas.

I think a lot of caregivers are admitting to being ok with being registered/licensed but directly with the province. We are just not ok with having to work under an agency that skims our money.