Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Craft Supplies

Starting to feel at home...

Craft Supplies

I am just wondering where you all get your craft supplies! Currently, I mostly pick up my stuff from the dollar store, or walmart if there is clearance. I have looked into OT but the shipping time is outrageous, so I mostly just take an idea and create my own version of it.

I remember when I assisted another homedaycare provider back in the day, she used to order from local craft bulk supplies, and often get discounts because she was a returning customer. But I cant seem to find anything along those lines here.

Where do you all get your supplies from?

What is OT?

I have the most ridiculous amount of crafts supplies lol but I pretty much always have everything in to throw any kind of craft together at a moments notice.

I go to Michaels for specialty items with the printable 40% off coupon from their website. If I need more than one item I download multiple coupons and put them through separate transactions but you have to pay with a different payment method each time so that's something to bear in mind.....so really 3 max...cash, debit and credit card.

I buy my paint and glue through amazon.com and have it shipped to US address. I only live about 20-25 minutes from the border. I have tried so many brands of washable paint and still can't find a product that comes close to beating out crayola washable paint. You can buy it in gallons in the States and it doesn't cost much more than a small 200ml bottle over here, and its not easy to get your hands on here. Some Walmarts carry it, some don't and its usually limited. Staples are the same way too. Elmers glue is also cheap. The saving is huge so its worth doing and US address is super cheap compared to UPS for a us address to have them mailed to.

I will also buy products from a company called "littlecraftybug " in the UK. I am careful when ordering to research if the item is cheaper here. I tend to order through this place because a lot of what they have is not available here and if so is cheaper even with shipping. I also have some friends who order at the same time and we can split the shipping so it only costs a couple of dollars each versus $10 or $15. If you subscribe to their newsletter they send regular deals and craft ideas to you. Even if I don't purchase frequently I get lots of good ideas from them.

Dollarstore, Wallmart occasionally too

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If it's just for daily art than I get supplies from dollar stores, yard sales and clearance items at Target, Walmart and Micheals. I stock up on markers, crayons, glue whenever they go on sale. Usually Target in the States has the best clearance/sale prices at the end of summer. I have had a fair bit donated to me as well from friends and families.

If it's for a gift or the odd craft than I get items at Walmart, Micheals or whatever store carries what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    What is OT?
    Oriental Trading

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ttremble88 For This Useful Post:

Scholar's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha33 View Post
    Scholar's choice.
    I love scholars choice but the pricing is outrageous. I get their catalogue and then once my wishlist is made up I go on amazon.com. I got the Melissa and Doug fruit stand they had listed for 180 for 60 us plus tax

I'm just starting out, so I get most of my supplies from Dollarama. There's also a store in Ottawa that's good called All About Kids, I don't like their website, but they have a great warehouse.

Expansive...
    Scholar's Choice is the best for paint. I love the tempura paint because it has vibrant colours and washes off easily from hands and clothes. The fingerpaint is also waaaaaaaay better than Crayola or other brands.

I also find the construction paper to be a great deal and the colours are nice and vibrant instead of washed out like you would get at other places.

DollarTree and Dollarama have great stuff like stickers, seasonal stuff

I try to go to Michaels for Tacky glue. The Alene Tacky glue tends to hold foam and pom poms way better. I totally stopped using white school glue.

Euphoric !
    Oh I will have to check out this tacky glue. The white school glue is great for little things but like you said, it doesn't hold foam or pom poms.

I buy stickers from the dollar stores too but I find the dollarama ones are horrible for coming off the pages nice. The kids have a hard time with them so I have to peel them off and even I have a tough time sometimes! lol