Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Right language to let parents know there's competition?

I have only been open since September, and where I live there are a TON of providers. You don't get calls or emails every day or even every week, there are just tons of people offering "daycare," although some obviously view that term a lot differently than I do.

Anyways, I have a few spots open, as I had to terminate a pair of siblings, and one of the reasons I held on to them for so long was I knew how hard it was going to be finding decent clients to replace them. I didn't think I'd get my pick of clients, and was just hopeful that my fees, contract, and policies would weed out the worst ones.

In the last week, I have had 3 responses to my ad that all appear to be decent. Meaning, they didn't disappear off the face of the earth when I quoted my fees, respected my 3-days a week minimum for part-timers, etc. I am currently in the process of setting up interviews with all 3.

Now, I can't take all their children. One has a set of siblings, so 4 kids for 3 spots. I have never been in a position to turn someone down yet.

How do you let prospective clients know that they are not the only family interviewing for the spot? What phrase do you like to use to essentially tell them that there have been other inquiries, and that they'd better make a decision fairly quickly?

Also, assuming they all want to come here, what phrases do you use to "let down" the ones you decide not to go with?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Euphoric !
    I used to let parents know that I was doing interviews for the spot and these were the times and dates I had open, which one would they like? It was a subtle way to let them know that there was others I was considering. Than at the end of the interview, I told them I would be in contact with them when all the interviews were finished and that they needed to let me know if they wanted the spot before than so I knew who all wanted it. I would than make my decision and let the others know that I had filled the spot. I never went into detail why I chose who I did, just that the spot was filled.

I hated having to say no to so many families so I now do things differently. When I add a family to my waiting list I take down their names, age of child and hours and start date they need care for. Than when a spot opens up I look to see who would fit the spot best and meet with families one at a time. I have a meeting with them and if I get a good feeling I offer the spot. They have 2-3 days to let me know if they want it. If they don't, I move on to the next family. If I don't get a good feeling, I thank them for coming and let them know I will be in touch. This has also cut down HUGELY on my meetings which I really love. I like my time off!

So for example, I have a 3 day a week spot opening up and I am meeting a lady tomorrow for it. Even though she is technically the last person on my waiting list, she is the only one who said the 3 days I had would be fine with her. The others need ft but will take pt if need be, so that is why I am starting with her.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-20-2014 at 02:05 PM.

I am really upfront and honest with parents that there are other people interviewing for the same spots. It is common and parents understand. After the interview ask them to kindly let you know if they want the spot, either way and obviously if you are interviewing multiple families then I always acknowledge that I don't want them to feel rushed to make such an important decision but due to high demand the sooner they call the better. That way you are letting them know to have a sense of urgency surrounding their decision making but acknowledging at the same time, that ideally this would be a decision where as much time as needed should be taken to make such an important choice.

As for letting a parent down, no spot is a guarantee to begin with regardless of the competition. They aren't just interviewing you, you are interviewing them too so they should not just think that this is their decision alone. Let them know that obviously letting you know either way asap if they want the spot is the best way to go, but that you will honor all scheduled interviews prior to making a decision for yourself. Let them know that it is about finding a child best suited to your program and who will fit into the current dynamic of you group. This also reinforces to the prospective family that you give this a lot of attention and care about people in general to give everyone the opportunity and that you want the best for your other families and children too. It's all about good communication right from the very start and this type of communication could actually play a huge role on their decision to go with you as it gives them a great sense of who you are and your character.

Euphoric !
    I just up and told them that I have 4 (or what ever) number of families looking at the spot. I am doing all the interviews this week and will be making my decision on X day. Tell them a few interview times you have and let them choose one.

Euphoric !
    Forgot to mention....the parents don't know that I interview one at a time.

Euphoric !
    For myself I usually like to meet with all families interested in the spot when I have one open. I always tell them all that I am currently setting up interviews with all those interested. Once I meet with the families I ask that they let me know asap if they are interested in my spot and then I will choose which family best suites my daycare.

When telling people that I didn't choose them I usually just email saying unfortunately I have filled the spot and that I will keep their name on my waiting list if they would like. I sometimes offer a reason (the other family's child was older as opposed to an infant for example). I always thank them and tell them they were a great family and that I am sure they will have no problems finding a spot.

My last spot that opened had 3 families interested. I had 1 who cancelled last minute, 1 that was interested and 1 that wasn't. They didn't need the spot for 2 months and were not prepared to pay full rate for the 2 months. So I took the family who wanted the spot. This is why I book times with all families.

Euphoric !
    Just remind them at the end of the interview that you are doing interviews this week for all families that have expressed an interest in your open spaces and will be making a decision on the children that you feel will best fit with the other ages, hours, temperaments of the kids already in care. Then add please let me know as soon as possible if you wish to be considered for the openings.

That acknowledges that you are both interviewing and that ultimately you have the final say.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: