Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shy
    thanks for sharing bright sparks! Love the charts I'm going to print and laminate to use with my 5yr old son. He is always talking about eating healthy and making good food choices but sometimes has a hard time following through I think these charts will be a great incentive!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dshtebazile For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We have a "good eaters club" which was really created for my picky eater dcb. They get a sticker if they eat well. I also sing a song if they try something new or eat something they don't like. The kids all sing it with me so there is lot's of encouragement. I praise my good eaters tons and this spurs on those that struggle.

They also don't get desert if they don't eat. They eat only what they are served.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks bright sparks for that link! I think I will give it a shot. The funny thing is, I've tried involving him and the other kids consistently in simple food prep, everyone picking a meal or snack and including healthy choices. He gladly does both but refuses to eat any fruit/veggies. Won't even eat jam because 'it's got fruit in it'. I recently told him if he eats one fruit/veggie per day we will make dessert on Fridays. He agreed then had a tantrum when we didn't make dessert on Friday after he refused to try anything all week.

We normally don't have dessert, but every so often we do or have a treat for snack. Once my mom dropped by at lunch with donuts for all the kids(didn't know she was going to) but I told them you must eat or at least try your veggies if you want one for dessert. Everyone else happily ate all their veggies but him. He threw a fit, cried, said I was unfair and rude and that he wanted a donut without having to even TRY a bite of veggie. So, he got no dessert. His mom told me that was really mean and unfair of me to 'exclude' him. That he should be offered the treat the same as the others. I explained he was 'offered' the same deal as the others, he just choose not to take me up on it. She then said if he doesn't like dinner, he simply gets whatever he wants instead(generally pb sandwich or Mac and cheese) and that he ALWAYS gets dessert. Even if he eats zero dinner. She's such a great parent in so many other respects but this seems so ridiculous. Especially when I can see such a difference in him compared to the others - sick very frequently, pale, dark circles under the eyes and constipated weekly. He has needed special medicine for this many times.

I'll try the food/sticker chart. Maybe it will work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by busydaycarelady View Post
    Thanks bright sparks for that link! I think I will give it a shot. The funny thing is, I've tried involving him and the other kids consistently in simple food prep, everyone picking a meal or snack and including healthy choices. He gladly does both but refuses to eat any fruit/veggies. Won't even eat jam because 'it's got fruit in it'. I recently told him if he eats one fruit/veggie per day we will make dessert on Fridays. He agreed then had a tantrum when we didn't make dessert on Friday after he refused to try anything all week.

We normally don't have dessert, but every so often we do or have a treat for snack. Once my mom dropped by at lunch with donuts for all the kids(didn't know she was going to) but I told them you must eat or at least try your veggies if you want one for dessert. Everyone else happily ate all their veggies but him. He threw a fit, cried, said I was unfair and rude and that he wanted a donut without having to even TRY a bite of veggie. So, he got no dessert. His mom told me that was really mean and unfair of me to 'exclude' him. That he should be offered the treat the same as the others. I explained he was 'offered' the same deal as the others, he just choose not to take me up on it. She then said if he doesn't like dinner, he simply gets whatever he wants instead(generally pb sandwich or Mac and cheese) and that he ALWAYS gets dessert. Even if he eats zero dinner. She's such a great parent in so many other respects but this seems so ridiculous. Especially when I can see such a difference in him compared to the others - sick very frequently, pale, dark circles under the eyes and constipated weekly. He has needed special medicine for this many times.

I'll try the food/sticker chart. Maybe it will work!!!
    Fingers crossed!! This parent needs a bloody bollocking. Silly woman. This is totally her doing if this is what she does at home. If she isn't willing to work with you on this, she doesn't deserve you as a daycare provider. I know you say that she is a great parent in other ways but I don't care when she is so disrespectful to you and sabotaging all your hard work and effort that you pour into this kid. I can honestly say that this child may very well be a lost cause and I pray for his sake he grows more interested in nutritious foods as he gets older. In your shoes if he talked back to me I would discipline him, that kind of attitude is out of line. I also wouldn't include his mother on the goings on at daycare surrounding food. Her inclusion is clearly making things worse and in your shoes I wouldn't have any problem telling her to her face even if it cost me the spot, he can't be full time anyway right? If you are in Ontario he should be in full time school

Starting to feel at home...
    We are in alberta and he's in kindergarten, which here is 4 mornings/week. So, he's part time. It's just sheer laziness on moms part I think. She also doesn't seem to like confrontation of any sort, even tends to back down from her other 2 kids. He's part time but the other 2 are full time, so I try to keep them! But the did thing is, those 2 eat everything. And don't ever try to get special requests. They are also expected to eat family dinner at home, so I'm
    Not sure why there's a difference between the 3. They've even complained to me that 'last night we ate stir fry and he got pb on toast'.

Euphoric !
    I just want to clarify that our "desert" is often fruit, yogurt or applesauce after their lunch.