Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I don't think you necessarily have to give them baked goods all the time. My girls love hummus and veggies, plain veggie sticks, yogurt, seeds, nuts (not always an option at schools).

Making your own pitas I don't think is too hard and you can make them gluten free for their hummus.

these are good http://www.momables.com/homemade-ban...-recipe-baked/

homemade fruit leather is also a good option

2. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

For snacks, what about home made popcorn; roasted pumpkins or sunflower seeds; baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, etc with dip; dried fruits and nuts; home made cocoa or coconut chia pudding (I saw the recipe somewhere on internet), celery sticks with peanut butter; edamame with salt and maybe lemon. Even we are not gluten free, these are some of the gluten free snacks I have served dck and my family. I will be making the cocoa chia pudding soon. It sounds good.

Kale chips, cheese, there are also different alternatives to rice cakes in the health super store, like quinoa, corn, etc cakes (the ones that are kind of puffed crackers). Your children can also spread cream cheese, peanut butter, or hummus on them.

Outgoing
    Try to grow vegetables that you can can or pickle, to get you a little further into the year. I did pickles, beets and pickled carrots last year and my kids loved them - the carrots worked much better than the pickles, and aside from the boiling, they were easier. I didn't buy the actual canning supplies either - just boiled in a big ol pot and used silicon oven gloves to move them. You can get cans second hand and buy the lids/middle part separately. I found some on sale at save-on last year too.

I'm also going to try to can tomatoes this year, as they grow quickly and (usually) you can get a lot. We use a lot of canned tomatoes as well, so it's something that would be budget friendly for us. If you use a lot of tomatoes, costco has a box of Kirkland organic diced tomatoes - eight big cans (I want to say 28 oz? Not sure though) for under $10. They sell some natural rice blends that are pricey compared to plain white rice, but the same brand/type at the grocery stores is much more expensive. My dad is so skeptical of costco for things not actually being cheaper, and it's true, but sometimes things actually are, particularly I've found for the natural or organic stuff.

Also google "ewg dirty dozen" and "clean 15" for produce. The clean 15 is a list of fruits and veggies that don't tend to take on pesticide residues and such, so it's safer (and cheaper!) to purchase those non-organic.

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I don't think you necessarily have to give them baked goods all the time. My girls love hummus and veggies, plain veggie sticks, yogurt, seeds, nuts (not always an option at schools).

Making your own pitas I don't think is too hard and you can make them gluten free for their hummus.

these are good http://www.momables.com/homemade-ban...-recipe-baked/

homemade fruit leather is also a good option
    I made home made fruit leather...super cheap but not something I had success with lmao...please share your recipe as mine was like boot leather lol

They would need an obscene amount of yogurt and veggies to feel full....my kids have pretty healthy appetites. My son also eats copious amounts of hummus, which then is no longer healthy lol, so I have to monitor the amount he has. They go with yogurt and a healthy granola which seems to be more satisfying.

Expansive...
    Everyone has such great snack ideas, I am trying so hard to feed my girls healthy foods. I was allowed to eat such unhealthy foods growing up - Pop tarts, Lunchables, Hamburger Helper - and I don't want this to be the case for my family. I don't buy organic meat, mostly because I can't afford it and also I watched a Marketplace episode that showed that many organic eggs and chickens still had antibiotics in them!!! Look it up, it's true!

But I try to eat real food as much as possible, I really like the ideas on this website - http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    For snacks, what about home made popcorn; roasted pumpkins or sunflower seeds; baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, etc with dip; dried fruits and nuts; home made cocoa or coconut chia pudding (I saw the recipe somewhere on internet), celery sticks with peanut butter; edamame with salt and maybe lemon. Even we are not gluten free, these are some of the gluten free snacks I have served dck and my family. I will be making the cocoa chia pudding soon. It sounds good.
    I have a friend who makes chocolate pudding from avocados and swears her kids dont know any different lol. I also have a new recipe to try for brownies that includes black beans which would be a whole lot more filling.

Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    Kale chips, cheese, there are also different alternatives to rice cakes in the health super store, like quinoa, corn, etc cakes (the ones that are kind of puffed crackers). Your children can also spread cream cheese, peanut butter, or hummus on them.
    kamut rice cakes are delicious and I love kale chips...make them myself

Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    Try to grow vegetables that you can can or pickle, to get you a little further into the year. I did pickles, beets and pickled carrots last year and my kids loved them - the carrots worked much better than the pickles, and aside from the boiling, they were easier. I didn't buy the actual canning supplies either - just boiled in a big ol pot and used silicon oven gloves to move them. You can get cans second hand and buy the lids/middle part separately. I found some on sale at save-on last year too.

I'm also going to try to can tomatoes this year, as they grow quickly and (usually) you can get a lot. We use a lot of canned tomatoes as well, so it's something that would be budget friendly for us. If you use a lot of tomatoes, costco has a box of Kirkland organic diced tomatoes - eight big cans (I want to say 28 oz? Not sure though) for under $10. They sell some natural rice blends that are pricey compared to plain white rice, but the same brand/type at the grocery stores is much more expensive. My dad is so skeptical of costco for things not actually being cheaper, and it's true, but sometimes things actually are, particularly I've found for the natural or organic stuff.

Also google "ewg dirty dozen" and "clean 15" for produce. The clean 15 is a list of fruits and veggies that don't tend to take on pesticide residues and such, so it's safer (and cheaper!) to purchase those non-organic.
    Thank you so much....I do buy the tomatoes from costco and they save a lot of money. I grew an insane amount of tomatoes last year, to many really, and I have everything to jar them but chickened out after reading up on how easy it is to cock it up and have them contaminated with bacteria. My friends mum has already said that this year she will teach us both how to do it so I look forward to that.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Thank you so much....I do buy the tomatoes from costco and they save a lot of money. I grew an insane amount of tomatoes last year, to many really, and I have everything to jar them but chickened out after reading up on how easy it is to cock it up and have them contaminated with bacteria. My friends mum has already said that this year she will teach us both how to do it so I look forward to that.
    My mom and grandmother always canned tomatoes, as long as your jars and lids are sterilized by boiling them in water and your jar lids are sealed then there should be no concern with contamination. It is actually really easy to jar foods, just abit time consuming. Making relish and jam is super easy too.