Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    My granola bars are made every 2 weeks and last the whole time, I could probably freeze them too. They are nut free, dairy free and gluten free so no worries with allergies there beyond any other food which isn't a common allergen. They are loaded with healthy superfoods too, so not only do I eliminate the garbage going into my kids bodies, but I replace it with healthy nutritious food.
    We like to make our own granola bars too, but we're still working on getting a recipe we like. If you've got it handy, could you send me your recipe?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    Do you also have a PC Mastercard? We use it for all of our daily expenses (groceries, gas, etc.) and pay it off at the end of each month so we never pay interest. We earn between $500- $700 each year in free groceries!
    Oooooh that makes me think of another point. We have a line of credit that we use when we do have money on the mc that carries over. The interest on a credit card is obscene compared to a line of credit so if you need to carry it over, it's better to be there. I know it doesn't seem logical to go get another "loan" but if you only use it when you absolutely need to and are good at paying it down (like most other things), it'll save you in the long run.
    Last edited by 2cuteboys; 03-25-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    We like to make our own granola bars too, but we're still working on getting a recipe we like. If you've got it handy, could you send me your recipe?
    Pm your email address and I will forward it to you

Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    Do you also have a PC Mastercard? We use it for all of our daily expenses (groceries, gas, etc.) and pay it off at the end of each month so we never pay interest. We earn between $500- $700 each year in free groceries!
    It's hard to pick and choose which reward scheme to go with but we chose to use our Amex as regularly as possible for the air miles. My husband earns about 400 a month with work and we use the rewards for tickets to the movies so we can have a free date night. 2 adult tickets, popcorn and a drink is only 170 air miles. It's unfortunate that Amex still isn't widely accepted in Canada so if the savings are that great with the PC MasterCard it may well be something worth looking in to, thanks

Shy
    If you are in Ontario, you can use airmiles to purchase groceries at Metro.

Euphoric !
    I purchase much of my meat and fish on Wag Jag. They get some awesome deals on there! Also, I did a lot of my Christmas shopping through Wag Jag, Dealfind, Teambuy and Groupon. I saved a fortune!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    If you are in Ontario, you can use airmiles to purchase groceries at Metro.
    The list of places to use air miles and earn air miles is huge now but to use an Amex is very different. Sobeys accept it but their prices are higher than most and the produce at my local store is poor

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I purchase much of my meat and fish on Wag Jag. They get some awesome deals on there! Also, I did a lot of my Christmas shopping through Wag Jag, Dealfind, Teambuy and Groupon. I saved a fortune!!!!
    Hmmm I used to get their emails and still get teambuy but I've never seen produce advertised?? I actually do a lot of my Xmas shopping online as it's my sons birthday on the 24th too so I really need to get good deals. Things like Lego are nearly always dramatically cheaper in the states. I'm talking a $150 Lego technics set is less than $100 across the border. I also go through air miles stores so that I can collect extra rewards that wouldn't be available to me instore.

It's going to be such a change living off one income while being a full time student for nearly 2 years. I was worried at first and still am a little, but worrying isn't productive, planning and changing now is though. I am hoping to get a job in a pub where a friend works near campus a few hours a week to help pay for gas resulting in a higher food budget. It's on my route to and from campus so won't cost additional fuel and will hopefully give me a couple hundred dollars extra a week which will for sure help.

Euphoric !
    No, I've never seen produce on Wag Jag, but lots of meat. I bought a 5lb box of sustainably fished Orange Roughy for $35 not long ago and it's fabulous! Watch the salmon though as often, it's Chum which, in my opinion, is kinda nasty stuff. We now just get ethically raised meat from small farms, but I've had wings, steaks, ribs and all were good. Sometimes they have on frozen fruit in bulk, which is great! I'm waiting for those to come up again so I can pounce! We make smoothies every morning for breakfast, which is fast, cheap and healthy. You have to go right onto the site to get at the grocery page. Also, we only go out to dinner now when I have a Groupon or something to support it. Take advantage of those little things so you don't feel like you're living in poverty. I've had some tough stretches, especially after my husband moved on to greener pastures, so I've gotten pretty good at living lean.

http://www.wagjag.com/category/grocery

Another idea we've adopted here is every couple of months, do a 'fiscal fast'. I saw a guy do it on 'Extreme Cheapskates'. While I'm not willing to go to the measures many of those people do, the Fiscal Fast was a good idea. Every 2 months, spend no money for 1 full week....NO MONEY! I'm in the middle of one now. It's hard, but forces you to use up stuff that would otherwise sit there another 6 months.

I have also started making almond milk. While it's not terribly cheap, it's added protein to our smoothies and the almond meal goes into most of my baked goods, giving them a punch of protein too. 2 cups of almonds will yield about 5-6 cups of milk and 2 cups of meal. The meal can be frozen for future use and makes muffins and things soooo much tastier and moist. They just don't go stale! $50 worth of almonds does my family (me, 2 teen boys, boyfriend on wknds) for about 6 weeks).

My children are horrified by how cheap I've become
    Last edited by cfred; 03-26-2014 at 11:07 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    No, I've never seen produce on Wag Jag, but lots of meat. I bought a 5lb box of sustainably fished Orange Roughy for $35 not long ago and it's fabulous! Watch the salmon though as often, it's Chum which, in my opinion, is kinda nasty stuff. We now just get ethically raised meat from small farms, but I've had wings, steaks, ribs and all were good. Sometimes they have on frozen fruit in bulk, which is great! I'm waiting for those to come up again so I can pounce! We make smoothies every morning for breakfast, which is fast, cheap and healthy. You have to go right onto the site to get at the grocery page. Also, we only go out to dinner now when I have a Groupon or something to support it. Take advantage of those little things so you don't feel like you're living in poverty. I've had some tough stretches, especially after my husband moved on to greener pastures, so I've gotten pretty good at living lean.

http://www.wagjag.com/category/grocery

Another idea we've adopted here is every couple of months, do a 'fiscal fast'. I saw a guy do it on 'Extreme Cheapskates'. While I'm not willing to go to the measures many of those people do, the Fiscal Fast was a good idea. Every 2 months, spend no money for 1 full week....NO MONEY! I'm in the middle of one now. It's hard, but forces you to use up stuff that would otherwise sit there another 6 months.

I have also started making almond milk. While it's not terribly cheap, it's added protein to our smoothies and the almond meal goes into most of my baked goods, giving them a punch of protein too. 2 cups of almonds will yield about 5-6 cups of milk and 2 cups of meal. The meal can be frozen for future use and makes muffins and things soooo much tastier and moist. They just don't go stale! $50 worth of almonds does my family (me, 2 teen boys, boyfriend on wknds) for about 6 weeks).

My children are horrified by how cheap I've become
    Thank you so so much for sharing wagjag. I just went onto groceries for my area and just found the cake shop that I have an appointment with on Friday to place a birthday cake order for my daughters party. They are offering a dozen cupcakes at 50% off and in addition 10% off a custom cake order. cfred, you officially made my day