Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

Ever termed because unable to transition?

Hey all,

Have you ever termed because a child couldn't transition? (cries most of the day etc)

If so, after how long and what were the circumstances?

Need some insight, thanks!

Euphoric !
    Yes. I only lasted 3 days with a boy once. He was 11 months and had never been away from mom. He screamed bloody murder from the second mom left until I called her in the afternoon to come pick him up. I managed 3 days and then said I couldn't do it any longer. The other kids were walking around covering their ears and very upset. It was what was best for all of us. I was already the 2nd daycare. The 1st one only lasted 1 day. The third one managed to put up with it and he ended up being with her long term.

Outgoing
    Thanks mickyc! I am really struggling. I have had a new girl in my daycare for 3 weeks now and she still cries all morning. I don't know what to do. All my other kids were pretty happy within a couple of weeks...

Euphoric !
    I have one boy that I have had for over a month now. He still cries a lot but it isn't disruptive to the others, we all just ignore it. If he screamed for hours and hours though I think I would have replaced him.

Outgoing
    ugh. The little girl cries most of the morning. Basically-anytime left to her own devices (free play)
    Last edited by Daycare123; 03-30-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Outgoing
    yup, he was 3yrs old and cried all day. I couldn't do it any more so after 2 months I had to let them go. and I tried everything.

Outgoing
    Thanks for responding everyone!
    Last edited by Daycare123; 03-30-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Outgoing

I have!

I had a wonderful family interview a year ago last Feb. Their daughter was adorable was starting in July at 12 months old. Amazing parents! Girl would be coming 3 days a week other 2 days at Grandparents and home with dad. Raised a little big of red flags but parents were willing to pay for a full week so I went with it. They didn't need to start until July so paid a deposit and holding fee they wanted her in my daycare so much.
    Fast forward to July when she started. She screamed ALLLLL DAYYYYY LONNNG! It was awful. She screamed when someone came near her, she screamed when I put her in the highchair/stroller, screamed when she couldn't see me or was more than arms length away, screamed outside in my backyard when eventually my next door called the City by law officers on her for noise. Her behaviour was interfering with our daily routine as kiddos had to listen to it all day long, began covering their ears, parents would question her crying when they dropped off or picked up their children. One mom asked if her dcg was having to listen to that crying all day and seemed very concerned. We also couldn't go outside to play or for walks as this dcg would scream and I didn't want any more phonecalls!
    After the first week, I told parents that they needed to send her to me for 2 solid weeks straight, no staying home with dad, no grandparents. They agreed. After week 2 (week 1 of 5 days a week instead of 3) there was no improvement. I began to lose patience so she ended up in the playpen upstairs quite a bit as no one could bear to listen to her noise. It was impacting my care for the other children. I gave the parents warning at that 2 week point if she wants any better by the end of July (this was 2nd week of July) she would have to go as there didn't seem to be much improvement. She got a little better at drop offs but that was about it. Her eating habits were terrible as well. Was on bottles of milk and refused anything other than arrowroot cookies, goldfish crackers or pureed baby fruits which I refuse to serve). Needless to say we made it through the 2 solid weeks with no improvement and the third week of 3 days a week in July but I termed at the end of the month. I could NOT handle it.
    Go with your gut!
    Last edited by Sassygirl; 03-24-2014 at 03:01 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sassygirl For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Yes, twice. Some kids just aren't ready for group care and that much stress is not good for anyone.

Euphoric !
    No, I haven't but have been very close! I feel for you!!