Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

'No poo' for your hair

Bright Sparks's post about nutrition and organic foods has me thinking about what else I can do that is natural. I am feeling inspired! LOL! I consider myself mildly "crunchy" and always willing to try new things, especially I find it to be healthier or better for the environment.

I am considering doing 'no poo' for my hair, where I would permanently give up using shampoo and conditioner. I already sort of do this for my daughter's hair, they are half black and I only wash their hair with shampoo once a month and otherwise I only "wash" it with conditioner once a week. Even though I do this for their hair, I hadn't considered it possible for mine as it feels greasy after two days (where as my daughters' hair is NEVER greasy). But from what I have read, the use of commercially produced shampoos has trained our hair to produce excess oils and that is why it is getting greasy after only a day or two.

I don't know if anyone out there has ever tried this, or if someone might want to try it along with me (we could be online support to each other through the greasy haired "transition" days).

It might also be a budget friendly cost saving idea as you would no longer have to buy expensive hair products. Apparently you can just use baking soda and vinegar a couple times a month.

I don't know, I think I might give it a try. I think it will definitely be hard to get through the greasy hair stage, as I get very self conscious if I feel my hair is greasy. But perhaps I can persevere! LOL

Euphoric !
    I only wash my hair every other day(sometimes every 3rd depending on the grease factor lol) but have tried to do the "no poo" and just use conditioner. It is not for me. I didn't like the way my hair felt or looked.

I coupon and buy shampoo and conditioner that I have coupons for. A few months ago I was able to buy clean and clear shampoo for 99 cents (originally $8.99) so I am still stocked up on that!! I actually really like it. I do splurge and buy the big bottles of shampoo at Chatters if I don't have any coupons for shampoo I like. They really aren't expensive when you compare the sizes to the small bottles at walmart for example.

I am not "crunchy" at all but will save money in some areas to splurge in others. I have realized that I am not comfortable giving up my "poo"

Good luck to ya though! They do say it is better

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm interested too... I'll join!

Expansive...
    Nope not crunchy !!! Lol although I know a few women that use baking soda and vinegar !! I love the smells of shampoo and cream rinse and hair sprays ect !!

Euphoric !
    I am mildly crunchy as well, but just can't give up shampoo. My scalp is itchy after a couple days without washing....3 tops. However, I've started buying all my hair products at LUSH. I've found their products to be really good, without having a terrible impact on the environment and NO animal testing (the main reason I started). In fact, they make every supplier of ingredients sign a contract annually stating that they do not animal test either. I like that....very much Here's the link if anyone's interested.

http://www.lush.com/

Outgoing
    I've heard that if you do it for long enough (a few months or more) you're hair quality improves and it starts to look better.

I've thought about it too as my hair is so dry! I only wash my hair every 3 days or so, it's got to the point that it's a bit greasy on the last day, but it's pretty dry the first, so that's a good song that it's adjusting.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    I am mildly crunchy as well, but just can't give up shampoo. My scalp is itchy after a couple days without washing....3 tops. However, I've started buying all my hair products at LUSH. I've found their products to be really good, without having a terrible impact on the environment and NO animal testing (the main reason I started). In fact, they make every supplier of ingredients sign a contract annually stating that they do not animal test either. I like that....very much Here's the link if anyone's interested.

http://www.lush.com/
    A friend of mine does this too... What is the cost like?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    I've heard that if you do it for long enough (a few months or more) you're hair quality improves and it starts to look better.

I've thought about it too as my hair is so dry! I only wash my hair every 3 days or so, it's got to the point that it's a bit greasy on the last day, but it's pretty dry the first, so that's a good song that it's adjusting.
    I find my hair is super dry/fly away, but gets greasy after two days too. So I am hoping that after the transition period that perhaps it will get in better condition. I am not happy with it right now. But it takes awhile, weeks or months, to get to that point after stopping using the shampoo, so I guess we will see.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by AcornsFalling View Post
    I'm interested too... I'll join!
    Great! Do you want some links to website I found that explained how to do it? Or can you find it yourself?

I washed my hair last night with shampoo, so I am going "cold turkey" as of now! I will only rinse my hair with water and I still need to figure out the baking soda and vinegar stuff.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    A friend of mine does this too... What is the cost like?
    It's pretty pricey at the outset, but if used sparingly (as it's supposed to be), it's pretty cost efficient I find. A standard shampoo puck is around $10 ($11 for ones with conditioner or specialty pucks). 1 puck will last me about a month, washing my hair every day. BUT....never forget to take it out of the shower and stand it on it's edge in the little tin....it'll turn into mush if left soaking. My hair has never been healthier. I love the stuff! For body wash, I like a few different (Flying Fox, Happy Hippie are favs). Those are costly ($30) for largest bottle. However, you need just a tiny amount on a shower pouf to get the job done...I mean like 3-4 drops! People tend to use way more than they need to, so go through it quickly. A large bottle will last me about 2-3 months if using by myself. These products are fantastic! I take the pucks traveling with me as, because I camp in Caribbean, I need environmentally friendly, multipurpose shampoo. I use it to wash my clothes and everything when away.