Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Bank

Starting to feel at home...
    I LOVE this post! Thanks ladies!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

My dcks had this for lunch today (I adapted from the Looney Spoons cookbook). Apologies in advance, I'm not a big measurer!

Home made mac and cheese, with beef and veggies.

Large package of lean ground beef, browned and drain. Set aside.

As meat is browning, cook pasta according to directions.

In large pot, saute 1 diced onion and 2 chopped zucchinis in olive oil. Add ground beef, 1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes (I pureed mine) and seasonings. I used garlic, basil and oregano.

Make cheese sauce:
    Approx 1/4 c of margarine in pot. Heat to melt.
    Add 1/4 c flour. Stir to mix and allow to bubble slightly.
    Add 1.5 cup of milk, slowly. Stir continuously until thickened.
    Add 1-2 c (depending on how cheesy you like it) of grated cheese. Stir until melted.

Now add cheese sauce into large pot with beef, tomatoes and veggies. Stir until bubbly.

when pasta is cooked, drain, rinse and add to pot with sauce. Serve hot.

***This makes a lot. We are a family of 6, plus dcks. There was enough sauce to do a large casserole for family and dcks, plus do a small gluten free version for mine. I used gf flour for the cheese sauce and cooked gf pasta for mine. My family had leftovers for lunch the next day, as did the dcks, and I had enough leftover for me, as well.

Expansive...
    Quinoa Greek "Salad"

Cook quinoa in broth (veggies, chicken, beef, whatever) according to instructions on box and let cool.
    Add lemon juice and olive oil and stir - I just do it to taste, I love lemon juice. Maybe a tbsp of oil.
    Add chopped cherry tomatoes, Red peppers, green onion, cucumber, feta cheese and black olives.

This is a favourite in my house, and very healthy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by nschildcare View Post
    My dcks had this for lunch today (I adapted from the Looney Spoons cookbook). Apologies in advance, I'm not a big measurer!

Home made mac and cheese, with beef and veggies.

Large package of lean ground beef, browned and drain. Set aside.

As meat is browning, cook pasta according to directions.

In large pot, saute 1 diced onion and 2 chopped zucchinis in olive oil. Add ground beef, 1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes (I pureed mine) and seasonings. I used garlic, basil and oregano.

Make cheese sauce:
    Approx 1/4 c of margarine in pot. Heat to melt.
    Add 1/4 c flour. Stir to mix and allow to bubble slightly.
    Add 1.5 cup of milk, slowly. Stir continuously until thickened.
    Add 1-2 c (depending on how cheesy you like it) of grated cheese. Stir until melted.

Now add cheese sauce into large pot with beef, tomatoes and veggies. Stir until bubbly.

when pasta is cooked, drain, rinse and add to pot with sauce. Serve hot.

***This makes a lot. We are a family of 6, plus dcks. There was enough sauce to do a large casserole for family and dcks, plus do a small gluten free version for mine. I used gf flour for the cheese sauce and cooked gf pasta for mine. My family had leftovers for lunch the next day, as did the dcks, and I had enough leftover for me, as well.
    That sounds like a great idea! I was going to make sheperd's pie with the ground turkey that I have in the fridge but I think I'll make it with macaroni & cheese instead. It'll also be gluten free as my hubby is celiac. Do you ever find that the gluten free flour makes sauces an ugly grey color?

Expansive...
    No Marshmallows Rice Crispie Cake

Ingredients
    8 cups brown rice cereal (use crispy rice, NOT puffed!)
    ¼ cup ground flax seed
    2 tbsp water
    1 cup brown rice syrup (I used honey)
    ⅔ cup unsweetened sunflower seed butter (I used almond butter)
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Instructions
    Lightly oil a 9×13 pan with whatever oil you have on hand. Coconut oil, safflower, sunflower, or vegan butter spread, would work well. Set aside.
    Place brown rice cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
    In a medium-sized sauce pan, add rice syrup (or honey), sunflower seed butter (or almond butter, natural peanut butter), and vanilla extract. Mix about a tbsp or two of water into the ground flaxseed and then add it to the pot. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until ingredients have liquified and it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
    Pour syrup over rice crisp mixture and stir to coat.
    Once all crisps have been coated, drop the mixture into the prepared pan and even it out with a spatula, pressing down firmly. Allow it to chill for 1 hour before cutting.

The ground flaxseed can be used as an egg substitute, so I changed the original recipe and included it in the liquids to help use it as a binder since you aren't using marshmallows.

I made this on the weekend for the first time and my girls (and husband) loved it. It is a healthier "real food" version of the classic rice Krispy cake. It doesn't stay together as well as the regular recipe at room temperature, but it tastes really good. The addition of the nut butter also adds protein.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    No Marshmallows Rice Crispie Cake

Ingredients
    8 cups brown rice cereal (use crispy rice, NOT puffed!)
    ¼ cup ground flax seed
    2 tbsp water
    1 cup brown rice syrup (I used honey)
    ⅔ cup unsweetened sunflower seed butter (I used almond butter)
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Instructions
    Lightly oil a 9×13 pan with whatever oil you have on hand. Coconut oil, safflower, sunflower, or vegan butter spread, would work well. Set aside.
    Place brown rice cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
    In a medium-sized sauce pan, add rice syrup (or honey), sunflower seed butter (or almond butter, natural peanut butter), and vanilla extract. Mix about a tbsp or two of water into the ground flaxseed and then add it to the pot. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until ingredients have liquified and it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
    Pour syrup over rice crisp mixture and stir to coat.
    Once all crisps have been coated, drop the mixture into the prepared pan and even it out with a spatula, pressing down firmly. Allow it to chill for 1 hour before cutting.

The ground flaxseed can be used as an egg substitute, so I changed the original recipe and included it in the liquids to help use it as a binder since you aren't using marshmallows.

I made this on the weekend for the first time and my girls (and husband) loved it. It is a healthier "real food" version of the classic rice Krispy cake. It doesn't stay together as well as the regular recipe at room temperature, but it tastes really good. The addition of the nut butter also adds protein.
    Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing. I would probably make it with sunflower seed butter so the kids could still take it to school.

Euphoric !
    I am looking for any "treat" recipes that are dairy free. I know I could google them but I prefer recipes that people I "know" have actually made and liked. I have a little boy with a dairy allergy so his parents send all his food. However, when I give the kids a treat, I feel bad because I have nothing for him! Today for example I made cookies with coconut oil and was going to omit the choc chips for him but the oil may contain milk so it wasn't safe either.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I am looking for any "treat" recipes that are dairy free. I know I could google them but I prefer recipes that people I "know" have actually made and liked. I have a little boy with a dairy allergy so his parents send all his food. However, when I give the kids a treat, I feel bad because I have nothing for him! Today for example I made cookies with coconut oil and was going to omit the choc chips for him but the oil may contain milk so it wasn't safe either.
    So I would switch what oil you use, grapeseed is a very good option, and then use chocolate chips that are this brand.....widely available at grocery stores in the organic section. Maybe even ask mom to supply you with them. They should last a while, but here in Ontario they actually only cost $3.99 a package so not to pricey at all.

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/chocol...ng/mini-chips/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks, I will look for those here!

Whoops... meant to quote from above. Daycaremom9

I think it depends on the flour. I've used brown rice and the texture was a little different. I have gotten used to it, though.

This time around I used a gf blend from bob's mill. Pretty pricey, though.