Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Bank

Post Recipe Bank

Someone suggested a recipe thread so I thought I would start off. Maybe it would be helpful if people started their posts with what type of recipe it is in bold so that people can skip through if they are looking for ideas in a specific area without having to read everything during their search. Hopefully we can just keep this thread going as a bank of sorts. So here goes...

SNACK..Vegan, Gluten Free, Nut Free

"No Bake Chewy Cocoa Granola Bars"

DRY INGREDIENTS
    1 cup of crispy brown rice cereal
    3/4 cup rolled oats. gluten free
    1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 cup ground flaxseed
    1/4 cup sunflower seeds (I substitute with 1/4 cup chocolate chips)
    2 packets powdered stevia

WET INGREDIENTS
    1/3 cup coconut butter (not oil, look for the butter, should be in similar area)
    1/3 cup creamed honey
    1tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl
    2. Either in a pan on the stove or in microwave, combine wet ingredients and melt, takes approx. 1 minute, stirring
    3. Pour into dry ingredients and stir well until combined.
    4. Line a baking dish, brownie pan, with parchment hanging slightly over sides and spray with non-stick cooking spray or oil.
    5. Pour mixture into dish and press down evenly with a spatula.
    6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
    7. Lift out slab with parchment overhang onto chopping board
    8. Slice into squares or bars and wrap individually with clingwrap

This recipe could easily be adapted to not be gluten free which would reduce the cost lots. I substitute the cocoa for cacoa which makes these a whole lot healthier but more expensive too. The honey has to be creamed otherwise it won't hold the bars together properly. I also store the bars in the fridge which gives them a longer shelf life and keeps them together well. I make a double batch which makes 20 granola bars which last well in the fridge for 2 weeks. These hold up well in kids school lunches without an ice pack. Substituting the seeds for chocolate chips make these taste very close to store bought granola bars without any of the bad ingredients, my kids wouldn't eat them with the sunflower seeds in them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I know that this thread started in search of healthy recipes but I was wondering if anyone has a good vanilla/white cake recipe? I always make the cakes from scratch and have a few good chocolate cake recipes but always find the vanilla disappointing (too dense, dry). Anyone have a tried and true? My daughter and husband's birthdays are this weekend.

Euphoric !
    My fruit leather recipe is
    8 oz fruit
    1Tbsp lemon juice
    2 Tbsp sugar

I puree the fruit until smooth, add the sugar and lemon juice. Cook on the stove for 10 mins approx until thick and "jam like." Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment ND BAKE AT 170 for 3-4 hrs or until no longer sticky just slightly tacky.

I found it a little sweet the last time so I will try subbing for agave nectar or decrease the sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I know that this thread started in search of healthy recipes but I was wondering if anyone has a good vanilla/white cake recipe? I always make the cakes from scratch and have a few good chocolate cake recipes but always find the vanilla disappointing (too dense, dry). Anyone have a tried and true? My daughter and husband's birthdays are this weekend.
    I have a Victoria sponge cake that should do the trick
    Last edited by bright sparks; 03-26-2014 at 02:48 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    My fruit leather recipe is
    8 oz fruit
    1Tbsp lemon juice
    2 Tbsp sugar

I puree the fruit until smooth, add the sugar and lemon juice. Cook on the stove for 10 mins approx until thick and "jam like." Spread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment ND BAKE AT 170 for 3-4 hrs or until no longer sticky just slightly tacky.

I found it a little sweet the last time so I will try subbing for agave nectar or decrease the sugar.
    I substituted with evaporated cane juice which can be switched like for like but I think in this case it was my problem. I may just try to do it to the recipe first and see if I have better luck prior to tampering with it.

CAKE This is an English recipe so you will need to convert to cups if you do not use kitchen scales.

Victoria Sponge Cake

225g/8oz butter
    225g/8oz sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    350g/12oz self raising flour
    2-3tbsp milk

1.Grease and line 2 cake tins
    2.Cream the butter and the sugar together until pale and fluffy
    3.Gradually add the eggs a little at a time beating well after each addition.
    4.Fold in the flour then add enough milk to give a soft dropping consistency.
    5.Divide the mixture evenly between tins and bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
    6. Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

I have not had a dck that had resisted to this souffle. Even the picky eaters have liked it.

Carrot souffle

1 pound carrots, chopped
    1/2 cup butter softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 19 in casserole. Steam carrots until tender (around 15 to 20 minutes) and mash. Stir in butter, vanilla extract and eggs; mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; stir into carrot mixture and blend until smooth. Transfer to prepared casserole dish. Bake for 40 minutes.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I know this isn't a healthy recipe but I am a chocolate lover and have made these cookies twice in about a week now. They are soooo good. You could omit the chocolate and it would be healthier?? haha. (I'm sorry, I don't know how to make something bold!)

COOKIES
    http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013...h-coconut-oil/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

5LM, I looove chocolate cookies... I am making these next week after I get the coconut oil and the coconut. Chocolate is not as bad as most think. Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants. It is actually healthy. Too many calories, though if you are watching your weight.

Here is another good chocolate chips cookies recipe. These are delicious:

1 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons hot water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
    2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
    3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are browned.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 03-26-2014 at 06:09 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree artsandcrafts about the dark chocolate....unfortu nately I didn't have any so I've used chocolate chips in it haha.