Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

2 Week Outdoor Challenge

I am strongly considering doing an outdoor challenge this summer with the daycare.

In the last few years there have been some daycares in Winnipeg that have done a 2 week outdoor challenge where the spend the whole day outside, including nap time. The only time the kids went indoors was to use the bathroom and fill water bottles.

I think this sounds wonderful and I think I am going to try it, though probably not for two weeks. I maybe will try one week and see how it goes. I probably would also have nap time inside, but maybe sleeping outdoors could be possible too.

Here is an article about it if you are interested:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our...203228911.html

Euphoric !
    I think it's a cool idea but with our weather, not sure I would commit to the two weeks lol. I have a small yard and not enough shade from the sun. If I did it, naptime would be inside as it would be a chance to cool down for them and it gives me my break (altho, I would have no issue taking my netbook outside lol) However, I get really ill when I get too hot and I know that I wouldn't last a day outside for 8+hours straight.

Good luck to you if you try it!!

Starting to feel at home...
    That's great. I would totally try it for a week. I have a large yard with shade. I don't see naptime working as my kids wouldn't sleep....i don't think so anyway. But i still have 3' if snow outside, won't be anytime soon let us know when you do try it, would love to hear your feedback.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We have a very big yard. My goal for the summer is to be outside all day except for lunch and nap time so we can get into air conditioning during the hottest part of the day. I plan to bring all the inside toys outside, blocks, books, puzzles etc. Parents will drop off outside in the morning and pick up outside in the afternoon.

We'll see how it goes...but I do have high hopes.

I wouldn't have interest in doing nap time outside. That is time to rest myself and to do meal prep, clean up and some personal stuff. I can't do that if the kids are outside. Though, I guess for 2 weeks it isn't a huge deal. But I suspect you'd need children old enough to appreciate it and to be able to nap outside...if they are too young I don't know that they would lie down and nap without a while lot of effort on my part...and again nap time is my rest time so I'm not sure I'd care for that!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    This is us. Except for naps. Rain or shine. We played inside twice last summer.

We have climbers, slides, sandbox, water table, ride on toys, dirt piles, mud kitchen, etc etc. We do lots of arts and crafts, sensory, experiments, etc.

parents send lots of changes of clothes, proper outdoor wear and are warned that kids will get dirty. I *try* to have them cleaned up by pick up times. The kids love it, I love being out, and parents are happy that their kids conk out easily at bedtime

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by nschildcare View Post
    This is us. Except for naps. Rain or shine. We played inside twice last summer.

We have climbers, slides, sandbox, water table, ride on toys, dirt piles, mud kitchen, etc etc. We do lots of arts and crafts, sensory, experiments, etc.

parents send lots of changes of clothes, proper outdoor wear and are warned that kids will get dirty. I *try* to have them cleaned up by pick up times. The kids love it, I love being out, and parents are happy that their kids conk out easily at bedtime
    We spent a lot of time outside last summer too doing all the things you described, but I think this is taking it to the next level with their challenge. I also warn my parents to send the proper outdoor clothing because I promise that I will encourage them to enjoy nature and get dirty.