Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have contact dermatitis and am sensitive to even hypoallergenic things. I tried everything when I was younger and now when it gets really bad I just use Vaseline but even the petroleum in that can irritate me if my hands are inflamed and that's when I just apply cold packs to them. I remember having to wear cotton gloves to sleep in and waking up in the morning and they would be nowhere to be found lol Reminds me of my husband and is gumguard. Wake up in the morning and it would be the other side of the room, under the pillow or even on my pillow waiting to greet me as I open my eyes...sounds gross but I just find it hilarious, just like the gloves that they can go walk about while we are sleeping. What the heck goes on when we are sleeping lolol

Starting to feel at home...
    Ouch, I get this, too. I often get cracks on my fingertips which kill! I make sure my hands are always moisturized, starting in early fall, and through the winter. I used to use a eucerin/glycerin cream to help moisturize, and used to use a steroid cream to help the cracks heal. Now I just use polysporin when they get really bad and I have a gluten free cream I use (green beaver).

I use a hemp one from The Body Shop. It's for very dry hands and it has a something in it so that it doesn't completely come off the next time you wash your hands. I use it probably 2-3x a day and it works pretty good. It's not greasy either.

Euphoric !
    One of my dcmom's told me this, apparently her dermatologist told her to use KY personal lubricant on her hands. She said her daughter's hands was dry and itchy too and she used it and it cleared up immediately. I haven't tried it as I don't have any KY in my house (LOL) but will have to buy some and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    One of my dcmom's told me this, apparently her dermatologist told her to use KY personal lubricant on her hands. She said her daughter's hands was dry and itchy too and she used it and it cleared up immediately. I haven't tried it as I don't have any KY in my house (LOL) but will have to buy some and see if it helps.
    Yeah Yeah...lmao I believe you

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Yeah Yeah...lmao I believe you
    LOL - no need for it until now I suppose!! LOL

I have this issue too! Mine crack and bleed from so much dish/hand washing. Ising gloves while washing dishes helps. I've been using a parafin wax hand spa weekly, Vichy Nutriextra for hands(every morning, it forms a protective layer for a while) and then hemp hand cream from The Body Shop throughout the day. Sometimes I put on the hemp lotion real thick and then put some medical gloves over top for half an hour or so. It's helped quite a bit.

Expansive...
    I have suffered through this ever since I started doing daycare 4 years ago. My hands would end up bloody by February and washing my hands would be agony because water would get in the cracks.

I have tried everything from Glysomed to Moroccan oil to Udderly Smooth.

THis year I bought a container of Goldbond SOS hand lotion and also Goldbond Ultimate Restoring and a big club size container of Vaseline.

So far my system seems to work relatively well. Here is how I use them -->

I lather up at bedtime (really well) with Vaseline and leave it on all night (without gloves).

When I wake up in the morning, I get ready and then rub on some Goldbond SOS cream.

Then I go about my day.

When all the kids are sleeping at nap time I put on Goldbond again

Then once they go home I put on Goldbond again.

And then comes bedtime again with the Vaseline.

So far it has worked - barely any skin tears/cracks/blood this winter even though it has been colder than ever.

I find some lotions really hurt to put on when your hands are irritated/cracked so be weary of that.

I gave up on creams long time ago, it seems all they do is just smelling good

That's true about cheap creams, expensive ones really help but why on earth should you waste $200 for a small jar of cream when you can buy vaseline or some oil or butter. I use Kokum Butter and it costs, attention, $5. So nah, creams are overrated.