Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CPP payments

Outgoing
    Update:

We got together to finalize paperwork (I was skeptical, but tired of emailing... I wanted to just look over it all myself) and I went over the actual claim forms she did...

Could not have done a worse job... Here are the highlights:

Claimed 70% of my expenses for business use of home... Apparently she hadn't looked at my notes, or anything from the CRA to figure this out.
    Claimed everything from my toys, books, crafts total (should have been 50%)
    Claimed things we'd discussed and decided not to claim (cat vaccines - required by my agency, but seemed shifty) and claimed the cost of our deck repairs twice - both because she was too lazy to look through my notes, just happy to plunk in the numbers without thinking.

So frustrating! I've emailed her back telling her to fix it and giving her the right numbers. Also, did I mention that she's an accountant? Also that I'm not one?

And to top it off, still no news on CPP, I forgot to mention it in my email.

On the search for a new accountant.

Expansive...
    Yikes !!! That makes me nervous !! My first accountant was very vague and after I pushed for more info let me know I was her first dayhome , um no thanks !!! So I moved on !!

Outgoing
    This girl has done day homes before , and told me she thought that claiming 70% for use of home seemed low!!!

At least it's not my taxes she's been doing wrong for years. I feel bad for the ones that she has, though!

Euphoric !
    2cuteboys....the accountant that I had do my first year of daycare taxes was an accountant from a big name company AND had a licensed home daycare....and she still did my taxes wrong! lol

Good luck on your accountant search! You will feel so much better when you find someone you like and trust!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh brother!!

I use BDO and I think they have offices in Alberta. See if you can find one close to you. I have had nothing but excellent advice and work through my accountant.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks for all the help ladies.

So I basically paid my accountant to figure out how to do it myself, but at least I know it's done properly!

I end up owing $2000 and my husbands return dropped by $2000 as well (as she'd had my income well below the maximum a dependent can make). So a $4000 dollar difference.

Lesson learned! Finding a new accountant for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    Thanks for all the help ladies.

So I basically paid my accountant to figure out how to do it myself, but at least I know it's done properly!

I end up owing $2000 and my husbands return dropped by $2000 as well (as she'd had my income well below the maximum a dependent can make). So a $4000 dollar difference.

Lesson learned! Finding a new accountant for next year!
    I'm glad you got things figured out....your more patient than me. I wouldn't have paid the accountant....I don't know what it's like in Alberta but in Ontario it's already past the deadline for taxes owing so Id of just got my things and taken them somewhere else. I'm still not sure id have faith in what she filed but hopefully all is well.

Euphoric !
    Taxes aren't due in Ontario till April 30 in fact due to the problems you have until May 5 this year to file.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I believe it's April 30th (or May 5) for us as well.

I do have faith in it now as i corrected the numbers myself. I hadn't planned on learning all of this, but I'm glad I did. I am more confident now in dealing with my taxes and have a better grasp of how to separate my deductions as well. It's always good to know how these sorts of things work I suppose.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post: