Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

When children miss daycare due to parent's job.

Happy Friday everyone . I need some advice.

I have a soon to be 3 year old, whom I've been watching for 2 years now. Her mom has a steady full-time job and the father started working in construction last spring. She has come to daycare mostly everyday. Her attendance started dropping in fall. She stays home with dad when he is not working, due to the weather.

Because of the great winter we have had and having she has barely been at daycare. Just to give you an idea:
    January - 10 days
    February - 8 days
    March - 5 days.

It didn't bother me too much in the beginning. It is only mom working and they save on the daycare expense. She even has an evening job. But now it is starting to bother me. I am worried because of a) the bill that could be passed b) today I only have 1 child present and c) I am at a loss because she only pays for the days she is here.

What can I do, that is fair for me. I have this unbalanced spot now, but come the good weather I know she will be here everyday. She is a good child and parents a pretty good (mom does have a mouth on her though).

I need a plan that would work in general for all parents who have jobs like this one. Something that I could include in my handbook too so that it is fair for me and fair for the parents. I don't like to charge a parent when I haven't worked for a day, but I am really loosing with this situation.

HELP

Euphoric !
    >>I don't like to charge a parent when I haven't worked for a day, but I am really loosing with this situation.<<

But you are working...they just decided not to send their child. You still got up, opened the daycare, spent the day there, had food ready etc.

You worked...but made less money. How is that fair?

Not sure what to offer for this family...but you do need to put it in your contract for all future families that they pay for the spot not for attendance.

Decide if you are willing to potentially lose this family by telling them you need to be paid full-time or if you are willing to keep working most of the month without being paid for this spot, that they occupy full-time but use as a drop-in.

Euphoric !
    The only time I do not charge is if I am closed for holidays or close because I am sick.

I, like most others, get paid in advance. Parents pay their full fee UNLESS they tell me before payment is handed in that their child will be out for whatever reason (staying home with parent, grandma etc). If they let me know before payment is due, they are charged $10 less per day. This way I still get paid and they get a bit of a break when they take holidays or a day here and there that the child stays home. Parents are paying for a spot in my dc not a drop in fee.

Euphoric !
    yes they need to pay you for the spot not for when they are there. I would just tell them that you can no longer offer them a pay as you need service. It is either full-time rate or nothing. You will likely loose them but so be it! you need to look after you and your family first.

Euphoric !
    Yep, I'm with everyone else. It's not your issue if they've decided to lower her attendance. You're open, they should pay. Always remember...paying for the service is only PART of it. They are also paying for the spot.

Expansive...
    Yup, pay for the spot regardless of attendance. The contract should reflect a minimum number of days a week, or full time if you wish. Also charge more per day for the part-time attendance.

Exactly as the others have stated. Can you imagine if we ran our daycares according to all our clients individual schedules? Our heads would be swimming just juggling their needs.
    Nope. You run a daycare, client has a spot and pays for it. Then your income is more predictable.

Euphoric !
    So the other ladies are right but where do you go from here?

Option A) Now that the weather is nice and they will be full time again, it is time to discuss with them that since you are limited in the number of children you can have, they are paying for a spot, not attendance. Make up a new contract and have them sign before care resumes.

Option B) Don't say anything yet as they will be coming full time anyways now that the weather is nice and advertise for a sept spot. Speak to the family in August and let them know your policies are changing as stated above and do a contract. They then either decide to go with someone else or you fill the spot.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you for all your replies. I am so happy that I joined this forum. My husband is the only person I can talk to or release my stress and sometimes I feel bad.
    Now that I have an idea of what I should be doing. How would I word it in the handbook?
    My parent handbook is renewed every september, so I have time to make the change or add to it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to suzydominguez For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I tend to agree with the "pay for the spot not the attendance" formula. However, you could also choose to have a minimum amount they pay per month, for the months when the weather is bad and dad can't work. So, in the nicer months, a full time rate would apply. In the crappy months, they pay for (insert your minimum here) days , up to full time, depending on what they use. I'm not sure if I'm making sense lol, it's been one of these weeks, but just wanted to share. I hope you can figure something out !!