Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sick Sibling

Starting to feel at home...

Sick Sibling

So...my dcg went home yesterday afternoon with a fever, she wouldn't eat at all yesterday and just laid on the couch after nap time. Needless to say she stayed home with her dad today. They did send dcb (brother) today, but he slept in and he showed up at 10. I just had lunch time and he refused to eat more than a bite and he always has seconds. I was going to take the kids sledding this afternoon but I'm afraid he is sick too. I'm not even sure if the dcg has the flu or just a fever, mom only said that she definitely can't come today. Should I be sending him home? No fever but the no eating concerns me. And when mom works from home and dad took the day off...why would you send the other kid. Just because you pay for the spot doesn't mean that you have to use it.

Euphoric !
    I would call or text the parents to tell them your concerns. If he has nothing that warrants sending him home than I wouldn't tell the parents they HAVE to pick up but I would tell them how he is and let them make the call. I would also mention that you had planned on going out this afternoon but you don't think the dcb is well enough to do that.

I agree with you and would have kept him home too but they are paying for the spot and if he has no valid reason to not be there, there isn't much we can do IMO. Parents parent differently and we just have to deal with that sometimes.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    If it were me I would call home and tell them that the boy is refusing to eat, which is not normal behaviour for him, and that you are concerned he may be sick as well. Ask what is wrong with his sister. Tell them you had planned to take the kids outside to play but are worried that he is sick too. See what they have to say, since he isn't fully sick then it isn't really grounds for being sent home but a phone call home with your concerns won't hurt anything. At least you'll know what you're dealing with.

I have a family that always send the other sibling when one is sick.

Euphoric !
    I would just let the parents know that the child is not eating. If they want to pick up then so be it, if not then just carry on with your day. If the child does not participate in your afternoon activities then call for pickup but just not eating isn't really a reason to make them come pick up.

Euphoric !
    How old is the brother? Old enough to know that sister stayed home with dad because she didn't eat?

Starting to feel at home...
    He's 4 but doesn't really understand much. I can't even get him to tell me if he doesn't like the food or if he feels sick. I can't get him to tell me what or if he had breakfast this morning either (he honestly doesn't understand, all questions he answers yes to no matter what). But that's another issue. I did text and mom said he didn't want her to send what she sent for lunch so we will see how snack time goes. TGIF

Expansive...
    I don't get that either !! Usually with siblings if one gets it the other(s) usually do too ! I would think they would keep him home as well . I have siblings and have been amazed when one shows up but the space is paid for so I don't say anything !!
    I usually send a light text like , " oh oh heads up , so and so isn't eating !! "
    Doesn't always amount to anything though lol !! I always feel like the dcp are thinking I just want a day off !!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think this is unfair for providers to think this (they are lazy or want the day off). Siblings are welcome here if the other is sick. I have two kids myself and there are often times one will get sick and not the other so there is no reason the other shouldn't come. Often parents will "work from home" if one kid is sick, easier to do if one is laying on the couch sick but not so much if the "well" child is running around or needs lot's of supervision. Plus, why not offer the sick child some much needed TLC and 1:1 time?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post: