Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Return 2 weeks pay after failed transition?

Hey Everyone,

I take a two-weeks fees deposit which goes towards childs last two weeks.

However, what do you do if they don't transition? Returning it feels like I have just worked for free?!

you apply the days owed from the deposit and return the rest if the child has been with you less than the two weeks the deposit was given to cover. Also include a tax receipt for monies paid.

Euphoric !
    If a couple gives you 2 weeks deposit, you are right it is for their last 2 wks and you "hold it" until they are done/terminated. So when they actually start say Mon Mar 24th, they pay you for that week or the next 2 weeks depending on how you do it (or like me, you get payment the Fri before).

If they aren't transitioning well and you decide to terminate, you either return the deposit (you were already paid for the week on Mon or Fri) or you give them 2 wks notice and keep the deposit (they don't pay you any more).

Is that clear or confusing?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Yes, torontokids-that's clear, thank you! Looks like I will be returning the deposit. I don't think we can all do another two weeks!

Starting to feel at home...
    I always get paid in advance on the first of the month. I also have a 2-week non refundable deposit and ask for 2week notice to terminate and apply the deposit for the last 2 week

However, I do offer a "30 day trial" that allows myself or the parent to terminate with only 1 day notice if things are really not working out. In which case I would return the deposit or any money owed. I put this clause in as I wanted to know I could walk away if something was really not working out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkaroo For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I take a 2 week deposit for the final 2 weeks of care. I have it in my contract that the deposit only goes to care AFTER 4 weeks of paid care. If they leave prior to 4 weeks of paid care the deposit is forfeited.

That said, if the family tried everything they could to help me but their child just didn't transition in I would likely refund the deposit. If the family wasn't working with me and the child and was making it hard to transition I would keep the deposit since I'd be scrambling to fill the spot AND would have likely had a rough go trying to get their child to transition in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Lee-Bee - I am of that mind as well. This family was great! And I am genuinely disappointed to see them go. However, having their child in my daycare-turned work into a true struggle. ALL of my toher kids were acting out and I wasn't running my daycare the way I really want to run it-it wasn't FUN!