Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Overnight care, early arrival and late departures

I have done overnight care for some time (GTA, Ontario), recently have noticed that the majority of daycare inquiries I receive are for "extended hours" before 6.30am and after 5.30pm; many employers are asking their employees to work 12 hour shifts and/or are working from the office or at home for odd hours; sometimes I can accommodate and sometimes not, there are a limited number of people in my area providing this service. I believe increased payment in these situations is expected but would like to hear from other providers regarding what they would consider acceptable payment for these kinds of hours? What do other providers charge? Your help is appreciated.

Euphoric !
    When parents work 12 hour shifts they generally have other days off. At minimum you are paid for a full week regardless of the fact the children don't come some of the days. They are paid for a full week and you should be too. Because of their hours they are taking up a space.

Use your daily rate for the normal workday hours. Use your before school (generally 2 hours allowed) and afterschool rate (usually 2 hours allowed). Add the three together to reach a 12 hour shift rate.

Another option is to realize that a 12 hour shift is 1 1/2 times a normal 8 hour shift so charge 1 1/2 times your normally daily rate per 12 hour shift the parent works. Remember you will be serving extra meals so decide if those are included or not.

Also don't be afraid to insist child lays down upon arrival and stays on the mat quietly till you tell them time to get up (ie other kids are arriving) or make use of TV for the time between early arrival and others coming or a combination of the two. Parent should not be expecting you to entertain the child for the full 12 hour shift.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with Playfelt---you need to be paid for the extra hours and that the child needs to lay down till the others arrive. If the child cannot lay down and watch television or lay down and nap again then the parents need to think of alternate arrangements. May grandparents can come early and drop off at the daycare during regular hours.

I have had only a few parents in my many years that need this type of care and I charge an extra $10/ hour or any part of the hour,for any time over my regular hours (7am-5:30pm) When parents know that they have to pay you the extra they magically find someone that can care for their dear child before and after the daycare hours.

Good Luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to horsegirl For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    As a provider, I would not be able to do those hours, period. It just doesn't work for our family scheduling, or my sanity! But if that is the norm for your area, and you find that you must; then you deserve to get paid more, for sure!!!!
    If someone is working 12 hours, then typically (as playfelt mentioned) they get a shortened work week. OR: more money. So should you. Either charge more on a daily basis, or agree that your full time rate will allow for 4 days instead of 5.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

I think in excess of 9.5 hours between 7.00am and 6.00 would be a "normal" daily rate and after that people must expect to pay overtime... they would expect the same... my area has a few too many providers and the rates here are lower than most;thanks for the backup, the 12 hour shift with transportation turns into almost 14 hours... and I have charged my full time weekly rate for this child. Overnight care I have not pinned right down yet; but I am feeling confident about the plan for extended hours.