Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Vent: Does not respond to communications I send >:(

This frustrates me so much!!! It stems down to the feeling of disrespect and just the lack of attempt on their part.

I have a set of parents who are brutal with 2 things:

1) Dad does drop offs so he is constantly forgetting things (I have just recently started making go back home to get snow pants, boots, requested diapers, etc)

and

2) I send out monthly newsletters that contain both fun stuff that I have planned for the kids AND important need to know info such as vacation days, items required from home, field trips planned etc. I also update the parents via text throughout the day...the latest important one was that I was taking the children from our old house to our new empty house (we just moved) so to please pick them up at the new location so they could enjoy running around in an empty house with balloons. All of the parents responded with "ooo sounds like fun, see you then!" and "can't wait to see your new place" but NADA from them. A few HOURS later I sent another text saying "I haven't heard from you, just making sure that you know to pick up _______ from our new house". Nothing.

When Mom picked her up she stated that "she was busy at work". Too busy to respond with "Sounds good"??? BS!!! I wish this didn't irk me so much but I just can't fathom never responding to my childcare provider's emails, texts with it be fluff or very important.

I know this seems like very little to be frustrated about, but it gets right under my skin and repeated requests that emails and texts must be responded to so that I know that my communications have been received and understood have been useless. To me it is so damn disrespectful...why would they think that communication between caregiver and parents isn't important?

It is the most disrespect I have ever felt while in this business.

Euphoric !
    I feel for you. I like to have a response too and it would annoy me if they never responded to any thing I sent...email/text/newsletter etc.

Do the parents have access to their phone during their work day though? If they only didn't respond during the day than I could understand but if they never respond than yes, I'd be annoyed too.

Perhaps, when possible, face to face communication would be best for this family

Expansive...
    Yes that gets to me too !!! It seems like these are what I like to call the "special" dcp . I don't know about your situation but for me these are the ones that never want to conform to rules . That believe they are employing you ! My 'special' dcp had many excuses for not getting back to me but I would get multiple texts from them on my personal days if I didn't respond in an appropriate time .
    Maybe they were away from the phone or truly busy ! In my experience it was disregard , and eventually we parted .

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't really understand why this bothers you. If you want them to respond, include that request in your text/e-mail so they understand you want a response. Mind you I only communicate via communication book and telephone and in person, and the only time I call them is if I am sick or somebody forgot their cheque. If you want better communication with them, you have to ask for it.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremum View Post
    I don't really understand why this bothers you. If you want them to respond, include that request in your text/e-mail so they understand you want a response. Mind you I only communicate via communication book and telephone and in person, and the only time I call them is if I am sick or somebody forgot their cheque. If you want better communication with them, you have to ask for it.
    I guess you missed the part where I wrote that I have requested repeatedly. And I do ask in every single email, AND it's in my email signature. As for texts I ask them specific questions (important ones) and they still do not respond. They are just disrespectful in this regard...they just don't care.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Lou, this is either blatant disrespect or laziness on your clients part, I don't know which, but you definitely have a right to be ticked off about this issue. Can you make them leave a set of all outside clothing at daycare for all seasons so you solve one problem? If they can't remember things daily, then give them a list of everything they have to leave at your house all the time.

Communication is really important to me and I just got rid of a client who didn't even have a telephone. Drove me nuts! I know you are very capable, so you don't need advice, but I hope your ads are out there. You deserve better. Have you considered writing them a letter of warning explaining that you expect proper communication and need to know that your emails and texts are received at all times? Good luck.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    I only have to deal with it for a few more months. This is one of those "shouldn't have taken on my friend's kid" scenarios...dck starts school in September and then I won't put myself in that awkward position ever again!
    I just really needed to get the rant off my chest!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I guess you missed the part where I wrote that I have requested repeatedly. And I do ask in every single email, AND it's in my email signature. As for texts I ask them specific questions (important ones) and they still do not respond. They are just disrespectful in this regard...they just don't care.
    Sorry, yes I did miss that part. I would include please RSVP in every message. I would start communicating in person only, that way they have to respond. Most things can likely wait till pick up and drop off. Like I said, I very rarely talk to parents other than at those times.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to daycaremum For This Useful Post:

Lou