Hi everyone! I have been creeping the forums for a while now but this is my first post. I have just opened my daycare and this is my first full week of offering care for a 23 month old girl. My 1 year old DS and her get along very well, hugging each other and she will even give him kisses. A couple of times when he went to give her a hug, she would start to pout to almost cry but not say anything. I would intervene and they would go on playing again, giving hugs and being happy. Before nap time yesterday, it happened again, but she pushed him away from her and he fell and hit his head against the wall.

I have been trying to get him to ask for a hug but as he is only 12 months old, his verbal skills aren't there yet. I model what I want him to do, holding out my arms and saying "hug?" to him and wait for him to give a positive response in the hopes that he will imitate it.

I have been trying to get her to say no thank you or anything to tell him that she does not want a hug, but she will just be silent. She is a VERY chatty little girl so I don't know why she isn't saying something. I asked her why and each time she tries to distract me with seeing fake birds out the window LOL! I tell her that DS is just little and learning, and we have to show him how to be good. I try and get her to tell me if she wants a hug, and only hug her if she gives me a verbal yes.

Does anyone have insight or tips on how to help? It has only been a few days but the pushing yesterday makes me feel like I should be doing more.