Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

OMG had to bite my tongue at a play group

So today I only had 1 child and decided to bring him to a local play place which will be closing down tomorrow. Any how one mom there was asking about my dc and then started to try and bash how she dosent think that home daycare should have more than 2 one yr olds in care. I let her know that since I'm unlicensed I can have any age mix of children as long as I don't go over 5 kids. I also let her know I was comfortable with more then two as long as the other were walking, she started to tell me that I need to follow the ratio in order to be considered to be a reputable business. I had a hard time biting my tongue. I let her know the rules etc.... And she just went on and on. I can't wait until she puts her two in a centre and and finds out that they can potentially be in a room with 28 kids per 3 staff.

Euphoric !
    Bless you for not beating her with her own purse! It's highly doubtful I'd have been able to maintain grace through that. Grrrr.....I'm pissed just thinking about it! Ignorant snot.

It's awful when people are like that. I would have loved to tell her to shut it but then she is likely one of those people to bad mouth you and like we need anymore bad publicity even though we would simply be defending ourselves to people who have no knowledge of our job. It's people like her spreading bs rumours. I would probably just say to her that Id prefer not to talk about the subject with her as she really has no first hand knowledge of either the industry or running a home daycare. If I'd been very hormonal, lol, I may have really pushed her to back up everything with facts. If she was telling me that my business wouldn't be taken seriously unless I stuck to ratios I would have asked her what ratios as there aren't any outlined by the law also why and every time she made a statement I would have pushed her to back it up with some factual resource. I would have driven her mad.... Stupid woman. Would she like it if I came into her workplace and told her how to do her job. She doesn't have the best interest of children at heart, she just has far to much time on her hands and is a busy body.

Outgoing
    Actually I did tell her that I am well aware of the laws pertaining to my business. I even let her know that their is currently a bill in the legislature that would have a big impact on all forms of dc in this province. After that she just simply said that if her children were in an environment with all young babies and one provider she would take in to the administration.

Euphoric !
    I understand the frustration but let's be real for a second...she is entitled to her opinion (even if she didn't present it effectively). I can understand where parents come from and if you are someone with only 1 or 2 kids it would seem unmanageable to have multiple infants. I remember when I went out for the first time with my daughters (22 mos and 2 wks) I found it so frustrating and difficult to manage I told my husband I was never leaving the house again with both of them. You get used to it and now I am out in the community at times with 7 kids (my 2 plus 5 dck's). Would I have thought this was unsafe 2 yrs a go? Absolutely! Do I now? Not at all.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I understand the frustration but let's be real for a second...she is entitled to her opinion (even if she didn't present it effectively). I can understand where parents come from and if you are someone with only 1 or 2 kids it would seem unmanageable to have multiple infants. I remember when I went out for the first time with my daughters (22 mos and 2 wks) I found it so frustrating and difficult to manage I told my husband I was never leaving the house again with both of them. You get used to it and now I am out in the community at times with 7 kids (my 2 plus 5 dck's). Would I have thought this was unsafe 2 yrs a go? Absolutely! Do I now? Not at all.
    I agree 100% that everyone is entitled to their own opinions! However this is my chosen field not hers and I know what I'm capable of. I understand that she may feel that she could not handle more then 2 one year olds but to think that because she can't no one else could is crazy! then she goes on to tell me that I shouldn't and people wouldn't consider me a professional is absolutely ridiculous.

Euphoric !
    I am in MB so I am only used to the private hdc's having no more than 2 under 2 and the licensed ones having no more than 3 under 2 years.

Am I understanding correctly that it is legal for you to have 5 under 2?

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I am in MB so I am only used to the private hdc's having no more than 2 under 2 and the licensed ones having no more than 3 under 2 years.

Am I understanding correctly that it is legal for you to have 5 under 2?
    Yes that is correct 5LM...I currently have 3 under 2 but I have had 5 under 2 1/2 before and if you have 3 already, two more really isn't any more work. It becomes more of an issue with multiple infants who are so dependent on you, whereas if they are mobile and somewhat independently getting from A to B it's a whole lot easier.

Outgoing
    Yes in Ontario if you are an unlicensed home daycare you can have 5 unrelated kids of any age group. I know my limit I have had 3 kids under 2 and I was fine...provided that only 2 are non walkers. I was just checking ratios in daycare centres and it's 3:10 under 18 months.
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 04-03-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Euphoric !
    In licensed centres, it's 1 staff to 4 under 2. I was in the baby room for most of my centre career and altho it was manageable in a centre, I wouldn't want to do it in a hdc. Good on you guys for knowing your limit!! I would have to admit that I would be leery of placing my child in a hdc with 5 under 2 and only 1 adult provider. Just my opinion though.