Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hmmmm this is a tough one. First I think its a little odd that she is wearing so much to begin with working all day with little children that are typically more sensitive to smells. Second you have to say something because it will drive you crazy. But third, you would probably offend her because really there isn't much of a nice way to say it. Maybe just tell her straight up-pray she doesn't get too offended, and try to make it a light situation if that makes any sense.
    Learning through play

Shy
    My Mom wore the same perfume for like 20 years, and near the last few years she could not smell it very much, so she LOADED it on LOL. I think our noses can get used to smells and maybe that's why she wears more??

Euphoric !
    Tough situation. I myself don't wear perfume but I do have those automatic air fresheners in my home and I use fabric softener in my laundry. I would honestly be offended if someone asked me to switch or not to use any. It is my home and my business. I would say that you should just try and get used to it or find someone else. You also mentioned that there is a language barrier as she doesn't speak much English so you also need to remember that in her culture strong smells could be the norm.

Euphoric !
    I too get migraines from scents so if someone asked me to stop or change or decrease the scents I do use in my home, I would have to tell them no as these are the scents I can tolerate.

Honestly, if a parent asked me this, I would think of them as high maintenance and not be very happy. If it bothers you this much than I think it is up to you to find another dcp as this is her home and I don't think you have the right to ask her to not wear perfume.

I would ask for her to not wear around your child. I'm my opinion and this is mine not passing judgment on those who don't agree is that children don't need to be exposed to more chemicals then they already are.

I wear perfume but my own children are older now and I never wore allot where if need to re wash clothing.

I would suggest to your provider that it's a bit to much and if she couldn't wear or wore less due to sensitive you are I'm sure she will understand.

Starting to feel at home...
    You should phrase it in the most kind, politest, non-confrontational way possible. DO NOT tell her she is wearing too much, DO NOT ask her to stop wearing it. Bring it up and ask her if she thinks there is any solution she can think of. She will likely volunteer to wear less or stop wearing it during work hours. Approach her as though you are asking her for her advice on the matter, not as though you are telling her what to do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to daycaremum For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremum View Post
    You should phrase it in the most kind, politest, non-confrontational way possible. DO NOT tell her she is wearing too much, DO NOT ask her to stop wearing it. Bring it up and ask her if she thinks there is any solution she can think of. She will likely volunteer to wear less or stop wearing it during work hours. Approach her as though you are asking her for her advice on the matter, not as though you are telling her what to do.
    That would be a very professional way to go about it.
    With adults or children, they will change easier if they feel it's their choice or idea.