Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Operating on a school year calendar..

Over the next few months I will be losing all (3) of my clients. One is moving, one is going on mat leave, and the other I will be terminating. My plan is to take some time off and then "re-open" and right now my head is SWIMMING with plans and ideas to implement into my daycare when I start up again.

One of my ideas, and I've been thinking of it for a while (years) is to operate me daycare on a school year calendar. Open on the days the school is open and closed on the days the schools are closed- although still open on PD days. The first 4 years as a home daycare provider all of my clients were teachers and I loved it! After moving to a new city I haven't been so lucky and have been working year round for the past 4 years and I really miss all the breaks and time off.

So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone else on here operates their daycare like this and if is works for them.. I'm really not sure how many parents out there (other then teachers) would be interested in a provider that takes that much time off.

Anyways feel free to (politely) share your thoughts and opinions with me!

Euphoric !
    If I could afford to have that much time off, I would do it! My fiance works for our school division and is off xmas break, spring break and summers. It would be awesome to have the same time off as him and allow us to do more vacations and trips together but unfortunately, can't go on trips if we have no money! lol

If you have enough interest in your area to fill your spots with this schedule and can afford it, go for it! Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I've tried to do just this and I do have some teachers as clients, but it's not enough to take the summer off completely. So I have been working on just working part time. I think this will help

Outgoing
    It would be awesome if you could find enough clients, but it might be difficult to be able to find enough teacher's kids to fill all your spots. Maybe come up with something different that could appeal to teachers, to draw them in...but I have no idea what that would be! Are you close to a few different schools? You could always try putting up an ad, mention that you're catering specifically to teachers, that you are close to various schools and teachers can drop off on their way to work, etc etc...I would if I could find the clients, I just don't know if it would be possible. The only teacher parent I ever had taught at a school 45 minutes away, and his wife worked until 5:30, and it was past 5pm by the time he picked up most days. Then over Christmas they wanted to send the kids part-time...which I allowed so I wouldn't lose my income those 2 weeks, so I don't have much experience with "normal" teacher parents. Good luck if you decide to try!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have all teachers right now. It's been working out really well. I technically stay open during the school breaks, but I just had almost a whole week off for spring break. I only had a child on Friday, for the mom to go to a doctor's appointment. I have it in my contract that each family can take two weeks off without paying me. Some used a week at spring break, others didn't. One family used both their weeks this month, so they'll be paying me during Christmas break. I basically wrote my policy with teachers in mind, and it seems to be working.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

My husband is a teacher and I only take teachers children and operate on a school calendar like schedule. I love it! The quality time with our own children all summer is absolutely wonderful. The teachers especially love the perk that I do not charge for spaces during summer/breaks as I am closed. I am fortunate to have always been full and wait listed. The past summers I have opened some days in the summer at my leisure (last summer it was Tues & Thurs) just to keep kids in the routine but find attendance is spotty and for the 1-2 kids that attended last year not real worth it. My first year open I took older kids all summer; whoa...never again! I have made the decision to simply close this summer for the 6 weeks. If I can help with any other questions let me know.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Can you go into details about why you aren't taking older kids? I'm planning to take causal or part time children this summer while my regulars are gone, although the only inquiries I have are for full time.

Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    Can you go into details about why you aren't taking older kids? I'm planning to take causal or part time children this summer while my regulars are gone, although the only inquiries I have are for full time.
    2 words: "I'm bored"...over and over again
    Simple as that, honestly.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~