Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about older children

A mom just called me for before and after school for her 11yo girl. At the beginning I was not sure about it and I told her that I only have kids under 3yo currently and that the girl would be bored since all the activities are focused on younger children here. She almost begged me to consider her and she also told me the girl is very well behaved and know how to entertain herself and that she would be doing her stuff, like homework in the afternoon. We set a meeting on Monday so I can meet the girl outside daycare hours and if everything looks ok I would like to set another meeting during daycare hours and see how is she with the others

I still have some doubts about it:
    1. I have never have a kid that old under my care, for the ones who have could you let me know some pros and cons

2. I already have enrolled 5 kids, so I am at full capacity (in Ontario). However, I think I saw somewhere that kids over 10 years old don't count in the numbers. I could not find an official statement from a government website about it. Do any of you have any official source stating this that you can share?

If everything looks ok with the girl and it's still legal to have her on top of the other 5 it would be great since it would be nice to have older children enrolled in case of Bill 143 becomes a law with its current age restrictions.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 04-06-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    1. I have a number of before and after school children. Ages range from 6-9 years old. They are a number of pros and cons that come to mind when taking older children:

Pro:
    -the are self efficient and do not diaper changes, potty training ect
    -they are usually able to self entertain
    -it is SOMETIMES refreshing to hold a more adult conversation
    -little ones generally really enjoy having the older kids

Con:
    -they have been raised a certain way, and not necessarily under our rules
    -there is more back talk and attitude
    -I find my older kids are the ones to rial up my younger ones
    -sometimes they get annoyed/dont understand the younger ones behavior

I have found the biggest con with b/a was getting the children to school. I needed to cut nap time short in order to get the babies up, dressed and ready to go, which was a huge pain. I ended up hiring a walker in order to keep the little ones on a more solid schedule.

As for the age, I am pretty sure that they do not count if they are under 12, but I may be wrong. I am lucky enough to have a few little ones arrive after my b/a kids leave and get pickup up before school is out. It works out perfectly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ttremble88 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I don't have any b/a children that old, but I do have 1 now and another starting next week that are 5 and 4, respectively. I take them because I have a 5 and 4 year old of my own, so I'm already doing the school run. I agree, it is difficult coordinating naps and getting everyone out the door on time, but I have to do it anyways with my own 2 so it doesn't really make a difference. One thing to consider, though - snacks. Older kids eat a lot! I include an afterschool snack for b/a school kids, and it's been tricky feeding them and still making any money! I've now instituted a new rule - they eat their snack, which is appropriately sized, and if they're still hungry then they can eat something from their lunch, if they haven't finished it, but it can't be a sugary treat, since it will make the other kids jealous. It's difficult, I don't want to deny kids food when they're hungry, but my 4-year-old son comes home from school and would eat the whole fridge if I let him! On the other hand, I don't want parents to think I'm skimping out on snack if they go home "still hungry." So I'm always very clear on what they had for snack, to let the parent know that they did indeed get enough.

As for numbers, I believe they don't count if they're over 10...but don't quote me on that!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

I have also thought about the attitude, but mom says she is well behaved, we'll see during the 2 interviews where she will come and the probation period, too.

I have someone who could pick her up and drop her up from the bus stop, if the stop site is close to my house. Mom still needs to confirm the stop it's actually close. Otherwise, I will not enroll her.

Food is a good point, I guess they will be eating a lot. My dck (all under 3) eat a lot. Since mom will be paying for a full time spot I think the cost will be covered. I may even offer her some of what we had during lunch time if she's still hungry.

I hope everything works out, since I have a 3 yo of my own and I am pregnant. With bill 143 if approved as is I would only have 3 spots left, with this girl or older kids like her I could make it work.

I just spoke with a mom this afternoon in the park whose son goes to Kindergarten next year and she has to pay for full day kindergarten (after hours care at school) almost what people pay for a full time spot at a daycare. I thought full day kindergarten was free during after hours care.

Outgoing
    Oh man, the extended hours care offered through the school is INSANELY expensive! Plus, when I enquired about it, I was told that at our school, which is a decent size, they only had FIVE kindergarten spots, for JK and SK. Priority goes to returning kids, so you also don't find out until right before school starts if you get a spot or not, since they have to wait to see if kids that were in JK in the program last year are going to come back. I now have my own kids in JK and SK and they both brought home a "survey" a few weeks ago, asking if there was any interest in the program for next year. The cost has gone down a bit - last year when my daughter brought home the survey, it was a total of $32/day for b/a school, and $40/day for PA days. Now I believe it is $25/day for b/a school and still $40/day for PA days. Also, the hours on PA days are shorter, instead of being 7am-6pm on either side of the school day, PA day care is 8am-5pm, which would potentially screw parents who need those regular hours. I was just blown away - out of the whole school, 3 full kindergarten classes, they only have five kindergarten spots. It was ridiculous.

I had to terminate a JK boy the beginning of this year for extreme aggression issues, and the parents somehow got him a spot in the program after a few weeks, so I guess there wasn't a huge waiting list, but apparently all they do is run around in the gym the whole time. Which works very well for this boy, who's energy level is off the charts, and I'm sure every program is different, but I don't really like the sound of it. Frankly, though, I could never afford it, especially for 2 kids. For b/a school, I charge $17/day, just raised it from $15/day. The way I look at it, that's still major savings for parents looking at the school program, and as I'm right next door to the school and can pick up on snow days and PA days, it works out well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    ok so I have that age group but only because they have a sibling here. But as the sibling leaves so do the kids. Now, I have to ask, why can't the child stay home by herself.

also if they are over 10 they don't count in numbers.

also I find they are so bored here and they are more work than the little kids.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For myself it wouldn't be worth it. I used to have before/after school boys and I would occasionally take them on their days off school/summer etc. I was so glad when they left. Older kids play differently. They are hard on the toys, play rough, require more supervision than the little ones, get bored quickly. I didn't charge much but I also didn't feed them either. They ate their snack on the bus ride here. I would never do it again. Once a child reaches grade 1 they are too old for my daycare.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEight View Post
    Oh man, the extended hours care offered through the school is INSANELY expensive! Plus, when I enquired about it, I was told that at our school, which is a decent size, they only had FIVE kindergarten spots, for JK and SK. Priority goes to returning kids, so you also don't find out until right before school starts if you get a spot or not, since they have to wait to see if kids that were in JK in the program last year are going to come back. I now have my own kids in JK and SK and they both brought home a "survey" a few weeks ago, asking if there was any interest in the program for next year. The cost has gone down a bit - last year when my daughter brought home the survey, it was a total of $32/day for b/a school, and $40/day for PA days. Now I believe it is $25/day for b/a school and still $40/day for PA days. Also, the hours on PA days are shorter, instead of being 7am-6pm on either side of the school day, PA day care is 8am-5pm, which would potentially screw parents who need those regular hours. I was just blown away - out of the whole school, 3 full kindergarten classes, they only have five kindergarten spots. It was ridiculous.

I had to terminate a JK boy the beginning of this year for extreme aggression issues, and the parents somehow got him a spot in the program after a few weeks, so I guess there wasn't a huge waiting list, but apparently all they do is run around in the gym the whole time. Which works very well for this boy, who's energy level is off the charts, and I'm sure every program is different, but I don't really like the sound of it. Frankly, though, I could never afford it, especially for 2 kids. For b/a school, I charge $17/day, just raised it from $15/day. The way I look at it, that's still major savings for parents looking at the school program, and as I'm right next door to the school and can pick up on snow days and PA days, it works out well.
    Then I don't see the benefit of all day kindergarten. It's just an expensive daycare and if all they do is running around I think they do not need too many people watching the kids. It does not sound like a big competition for us. In here this mom said that the closest school that it's also at walking distance charges $40 per day (for about 3 hours). She will have to enroll her son further away from us since the other school charges about $25/day. Still I guess she will have to pay for the school bus service, or is this one free?

Outgoing
    also alot of school programs for before and after don't take 11 yr olds. I know ours doesn't because they can stay home by themselves. Also its only 7 dollars an hour if you need it. What time would this child be getting to daycare and staying. I also know that ours closes at 530pm and opens at 7pm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post:

I have never taken before and after school kids, since I did not like the hassle of picking up and dropping of from the bus stop. That's why I was telling the mom she was too old for my program and that she would be bored since all activities are for babies. She told me she is good at self entertaining and very well behaved. I also asked her whether she could walk to my house from the bus stop. She prefers someone walk to her. She is not concern about the traffic. She said she is more concern about child abduction or thinks like that.

My assistant knows them. They live in the same building. She also confirmed that the girl seems nice and well behaved. We'll see this afternoon. Our appointment is at 6pm