Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DCK with broken collar bone

So I received a text this morning to say 19mth dcb had broken his collar bone and would be staying home all week. I am calling mom at naptime to find out more surrounding the incident and I imagine to make plans moving forward for safe care of her son.

I wanted to pick peoples brains prior to speaking to her this afternoon about peoples thoughts and experiences with caring for children with broken bones. If it were my child I would plonk them on the sofa away from all the other kids but this isn't my child. I think the risk of being bumped is pretty big when this boy is playing in the daycare room with 3 other rambunctious boys and I worry about the consequences of his injury being jarred.

Should I be insisting on the child staying at home longer....a week doesn't seem even remotely long enough, or do I just say that if he comes he will be separated from the rest of the group to minimize the risk of further injury? My daycare space can not be separated into two so its not like I can give him a decent separate space to play in. The more I think about it, the more I consider the limitations for the group. Walking in the quad stroller going over bumps etc is going to hurt this child right? Or am I overthinking things? It isn't a question of "great one less child" because I'm still working anyway, I'm just thinking realistically if his injury will restrict the activities of the group enough to be a problem, e.g restricting outdoor time, and whether I can keep this child safe during his recovery period.

What are your thoughts/experiences on how I should proceed??

Euphoric !
    A broken collar bone doesn't get a cast just a sling so it will be up to the child to determine his comfort level in the sense that he can use it as soon as he feel able I think. My daughter's was only cracked but she was only in real pain at the very beginning.

Euphoric !
    I had a little girl with a broken collar bone and another with a broken leg. Both were fine. They gauged their own comfort levels with play. Of course, we discussed it as a group (the kids and I) during circle time and talked about the need for being careful. I did a similar thing before my surgery, explaining to the kids what was going to happen and performed a little surgery on an IKEA doll and drew stitches on all the kids. Worked like a charm. They all took care of the doll and were very gentle with me following my surgery. It's amazing how sensitive and intuitive the little guys are This daycare would be ripped apart....except the doll in it's little bed. It always sat, undisturbed. I'd see kids going over now and then to pull the doll's blanket up and kiss it's forehead. You could probably do something similar with your kids to help them understand the need to be more gentle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I had a 16/17 month dcb who had a broken arm and was in a cast. His parents put a sling on as well and he came to dc and was fine. He was in a bit of pain obviously but actually did very good at playing!! The other kids were very careful of him and it was a good teachable moment of we have to be aware of others around us.

Just a side note then.....2 of my 3 other dckids are 12 & 13mths and can not comprehend the meaning of gentle. Talking to them about this is like talking to a brick wall, they just aren't able to understand at this stage. They are already going through a swatting stage where we are working on hands off play and they are rough and tumble kiddos. One is cruising too which I also have to watch out for because he will grab hold of anything, even if its another child. For the most part I can shadow them and I cant see it being a huge issue. What do you guys think about outdoor restrictions such as walks in the stroller?

Outgoing
    Personally, 19 months is a bit young for me to trust them to be careful with it. Especially considering it's a collarbone - as others have said, it doesn't get a cast, and they can be difficult to heal unless the child keeps it still. It's easy for a child that age to get excited about playing and forget that they are hurt.

I might suggest mom see about having a grandparent or friend (with fewer kids) watch him for a few weeks. If there's no chance for back up, I'd take him, but strongly suggest he take a bit of a break.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I had a 16/17 month dcb who had a broken arm and was in a cast. His parents put a sling on as well and he came to dc and was fine. He was in a bit of pain obviously but actually did very good at playing!! The other kids were very careful of him and it was a good teachable moment of we have to be aware of others around us.
    I think being in a cast would be easier than just in a sling and a broken collar bone is very different than a broken limb.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    Personally, 19 months is a bit young for me to trust them to be careful with it. Especially considering it's a collarbone - as others have said, it doesn't get a cast, and they can be difficult to heal unless the child keeps it still. It's easy for a child that age to get excited about playing and forget that they are hurt.

I might suggest mom see about having a grandparent or friend (with fewer kids) watch him for a few weeks. If there's no chance for back up, I'd take him, but strongly suggest he take a bit of a break.
    This was my initial feeling to be honest.

Euphoric !
    It's up to you but I would still take the child and adjust our days accordingly. If you're not wanting to do this than you could ask the parents to find alternate care until the collar bone is healed. Would you still charge for these days though? Might be something worth considering putting into your contract or sick policy for future in case it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    It's up to you but I would still take the child and adjust our days accordingly. If you're not wanting to do this than you could ask the parents to find alternate care until the collar bone is healed. Would you still charge for these days though? Might be something worth considering putting into your contract or sick policy for future in case it happens again.
    Why wouldn't I charge for the days they were away?