Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

House rules- question/poll

Hey all!! I hope everyone is enjoying the spring that has *finally* arrived?

I was thinking the other day, I wonder if other home daycares have the same sort of "house rules" as I do?

I feel lately like all I am doing is saying "We don't blah blah blah, Sally, you know that!". For example: running in the house. I don't allow it. It is one thing for A child to be running, and quite another for SIX of them to be doing so. I have found that inevitably someone gets bumped into a wall or some such incident.
    But lately the kiddos are all running from the kitchen to the playroom, or trying to chase each other around in circles.

I am curious what you all think/do? What is NOT allowed in your home? I have been doing this for almost 4 years, but this is the first time I am questioning whether I am TOO strict? I feel like I have to be, to maintain order!! LoL
    I ask that they use inside voices (of course, sometimes they get excited, but when everyone starts to shout, it is just too much), and they are not allowed to jump/climb on furniture. I don't mind them using toys in different ways (a car can be a rocket ship!) but I don't allow them to mindlessly bash/smash stuff.

Is this unreasonable? Urrrgggghhh. Maybe it is the bad weather we have had up until recently. Maybe it is because all my "babies" are now preschoolers, with 2 of them going off to kindergarten in the fall???

Euphoric !
    I think a big part of it is the loooooong winter we have had across Canada! I've noticed mine are getting a bit "house crazy" but it's getting better now that we are outside almost daily.

I don't really encourage running in the house but I do have a hallway that connects the playroom to the kitchen and they are allowed to play in that area. They will sometimes run and depending on mine and their moods, I will allow it for a short period of time if we have been cooped up for awhile. Once it gets too silly or out of control, it is stopped though.

I don't allow throwing of toys, jumping on furniture, bending/breaking books on purpose. I ask for indoor voices too but there are times that we yell and shout if we are playing a game or doing a circle activity. For the most part, I'm not overly strict I don't think. As long as their play isn't hurting themselves, others or property, I'm usually okay with it. I like to see where their imaginative play will take them and if there are too many rules than it stifles them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I have pretty much the same rules as the previous posters. Basically the rules are there to keep the children from getting hurt, keep my toys/home from being damaged... And keep my sanity (such as the shouting).
    I would not want a child to get hurt / pushed because they were running around, and then have to explain to the parent what happened.
    I also feel like a broken record repeating the same things over and over again, thank god we can get outside more!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AcornsFalling For This Useful Post:

mom-in-alberta I have the same rules as you. I used to think I was to strict but certainly not any more. There are boundaries.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha33 For This Useful Post:

Me too, same rules, and sometimes I feel so anal, but to be honest I always worry about kids getting hurt by tripping or falling into toy shelves. I know I'm a nag but too bad. Often the dc kids don't have a ton of rules at home so I figure I'm the one who has to train them for school

9. The Following User Says Thank You to madmom For This Useful Post:

Same rules here, too. I am pretty no-nonsense and make no apologies for it

No hurting themselves, no hurting each other and no hurting toys, etc. Quiet voices, nice language, and no sass.

And I agree, the extended winter is NOT helping anyone's sanity, lol!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nschildcare For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I do allow running but have a decent sized space so we have ride ons, slide, big exercise balls etc. The rule is that all the small toys...Lego, little people blocks etc must be put away before any 'running' games. Oh, and no running with toys!

I do not allow throwing of toys, snatching from others or screaming!

I don't have furniture so no worries about jumping on furniture.

A big thing that annoys me is ripping/breaking books. I am very firm on how we look at books nicely!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have the same rules! No running. I have a big space and tons of toys. I drives me crazy that the second a parent walks in the child seems to forget this rule. I also don't allow jumping/standing on the furniture, no throwing toys, no bashing toys together, no playing toys on the walls, you must ask for a toy from the shelf if you want it. For the most part all toys can come out and we clean up at the end of the day. The only exception to this is puzzles can be taken out, done and then must be put back, all costumes must go back when done playing with, only 1 jumping on the trampoline at a time, keep toys away from the bottom of the stairs, kitchen area, eating area and coat area. The usual like no throwing toys, no toys in your mouth (although I sound like a broken record on this one) and no toys on the couch.

I have a reason for every rule! lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    We have a big open space to run , with mats covering every inch ! But I still enforce a no running rule !! Mine trip all the time !!! Usually just before nap someone biffs it !!! So I'm constantly worrying about head trauma during nap time lol !!
    I don't have any furniture that isn't children's size so no worries of jumping on it !
    My frustration is the ikea table and chairs !!! I do not believe we have made it through one lunch without someone going backwards off them ! It's so frustrating !!
    I cut open pool noodles and glued them on the corners of walls for heavens sake !! And they can't sit on a chair !! Lol
    I'm very strict too , I wouldn't worry about being that way , it's your home after all !!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks all!!
    I was feeling pretty frustrated yesterday. I am glad to know that it isn't out in left field to ask the kids to maintain some kind of decorum while in my home. LoL
    I thought a little further about it this morning. I think my underlying issue here is that the bunch I started with 2-3 years ago are all older now, almost school age. And admittedly; I don't like doing school age care. I have far less patience for the behaviours that come with 4-5 year olds than I do the babies. *sigh* But that is a thread for another day, I guess.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post: