Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potty training

Starting to feel at home...

Potty training

I have a 2 yo dcg who's mom messaged yesterday asking if she could bring dcg in underwear as she has only had a few pee accidents this weekend (first attempt at training her). I said 2 weeks accident free in pull ups before undies. today she comes in pull ups with undies underneath (so she can feel the pee better). I asked if she needed the potty (she doesn't speak yet but nodded) so I put her on the toilet and nothing. 15 minutes later she comes to me soaked through (the pull ups must not seal properly over the panties). I only have this girl 3 days per week, I don't mind helping the kids with potty training, but they can usually talk and have the capability of taking their pants on and off and sitting on the toilet unassisted, this girl cannot do any of those things. what are your criteria for training? I have trained a few in my dayhome but they were definitely more advanced and the majority of the training happened at home for awhile first before I tried. I just have the feeling that mom wants me to be the main one to train and with 5 other little ones (another of which is training) it's going to be a messy proposition. btw, I removed the undies from the equation and just have her in pull ups.

If she can not verbalize her toileting needs and/or physically pull her pants down and back up again she is clearly not ready to train. Tell the mother this and say that you will not continue training. Stop it now before it taints the whole experience for this child making it that much harder in the future to have a positive and successful toilet training experience. Work on talking with her and read potty books having her mirror back to you what she needs to say when she needs to pee. Do this for a few months and then go back to it in the summer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If the child cannot verbalize the need to go and cannot help with dressing/undressing then the child is not ready to toilet train in a daycare setting. How ever, at 2yrs I would be having the child sit on the potty for a minute when you change diapers so they associate the potty with diapers and so they get in the habit. I would not expect them to be productive and would keep them in regular diapers...but that is my first step for toilet training.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    This is what my contract says regarding potty training:
    Once your child is over 2 years old and you are toilet training your child and would like me to continue with it during the day I would ask that you send pull-ups to use in my home. Once the child has consistently had a dry pull-up and tells me when they need to use the washroom for 2 weeks we can try to transition to underwear. Please do not send your child in underwear until I have agreed to it (there are way more distractions at daycare than at home and it usually takes longer for them at daycare to become fully trained). I also do not have time to place your child on the potty every hour and wait, they need to be able to tell me when they need to go.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Sounds exactly like she is getting you to potty train ! Lol I personally dislike when parents use the age 2 as an indicator to potty train !! Every child is different and is ready when they're ready !!
    I have a pull up policy as well . I have 4 two year olds , one fully trained , one partial in pull ups and two in diapers . They are different in every activity we do , the one in pull ups does all my four yr old crafts and paperwork , the two in diapers are still in my " scribbler activities " .
    Age is not an automatic indicator of abilities !
    I would insist on pull ups ! Until there is some verbal skills to assist you , I think it's fair to everyone !! Nothing worse than scrubbing under playmats !! Ugh

Euphoric !
    I do underwear but they have to have a leakproof plastic pant over the top that the child can pull up and down themselves.... Kids know that pull-ups are just diapers and that they can pee in them and so they do ..... I have never actually had a kid use the pull-up like underwear and not pee in them ski think they are a waste of time. I currently have one training and he comes in a diaper and I immediately bring him to the potty and I take off his diaper and pants and put thick underwear on him and then about every 20 mins I say " remember xxxxx you are wearing big boy underwear and you cannot pee in them " if after one hour he has not independently used the potty I say "ok xxxx it's time to use the potty " I've been doing this for two weeks now and not had an accident.... I put him back in his diaper when we go outside and to go home.

I decided to try today just to see how come mom thinks she is so ready. I ask if she needs to use the potty and she says "no" (one of the few words she knows). She came to me 2 different times grabbing at her pull up and grunting so I put her on the toilet. She sat there, smiled and nothing. I definitely can't be doing this all day waiting for the one time out of 4 she actually pees and saying that she is potty trained. It's totally more like training myself to take her, which imo is not being potty trained. I'll tell mom tonight to keep trying at home but that she is not ready to be trained here.

Euphoric !
    yes that is not potty trained that is potty training - totally different thing. If you policy states they must wear a pullup to train at your house then that is the rule. Don't back down. I have carpet in my daycare and can't have accidents because they are not easily cleaned up. Parents don't always realize that their child is not the center of our attention. We have multiple children with multiple needs. They need to spend their evenings and weekends training her and leaving her in pullups at daycare. Once the pullups have been dry at daycare then you can transition but not until then. Stand your ground.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

and her 4yo brother woke from a nap and peed on me. Totally not a good day in the potty area of things. lol. thank god for wine!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shannie For This Useful Post: