Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I can see both sides, charging per hour and per day. I personally do per day because I find it is more beneficial for me to do that and it keeps my income a little more consistent. I don't think those who charge per hour are providing lesser care and I've never considered them to be undercutting me but I can see your point BS and now do agree somewhat. I've seen a few who charge per hour but I don't really think it's common in my area but maybe it is and I just haven't noticed. I do what's best for me and if a parent doesn't like it, so be it. I can't please everyone so I do what makes sense for me. I am pretty laid back and accommodating though so most parents appreciate this and know not to take advantage of me because they know other dc's won't be so flexible. I tend to deal with things as case by case and choose my battles. There have been times I have let things slide and other times where I put my foot down whether it pisses the parent off or not. It all depends on how much it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Even though I charge per day, I have had VERY few who were here open to close because I ask they pick up within a reasonable time after their shift has ended. I don't charge a late fee until my official closing time though because there are days that a parent will ask if it's okay if their child stays here longer so they can do an errand, attend a meeting, go to a dr's appt etc. As long as it doesn't become a daily or even weekly thing, I don't mind as they are paying for the day.

I agree with you BS. Altho I would always love to fill my spots quickly, I am more about a parent choosing a dc that suits them and their child best because that is what I would want if I was looking for childcare. I have had a couple parents tell me they are meeting with a cheaper dcp and if they like them as much as me, they will choose them due to finances. I always make sure to tell them that I fully understand that and will not hold that against them!! I watch where my money goes too so I completely understand having to choose things based on price sometimes. Some parents come here after meeting the cheaper dcp and some don't and that's okay. Sometimes it works out for them and sometimes they come back and ask if my spot is still available. I actually prefer if a parent checks out other dc's and than chooses me because it assures me that I am offering quality care. I have heard stories of other dc's but have not been in many other hdc's so I have nothing to compare mine too, so it's nice to hear from parents when they say they liked mine best. (I hope that doesn't sound snotty...I just mean a parent telling me that is like a job evaluation in my mind.)
    Doesn't sound snotty at all, that's exactly my feeling. I also especially agree with the way you take things case by case.

Even though I charge per day, I have had VERY few who were here open to close because I ask they pick up within a reasonable time after their shift has ended. I don't charge a late fee until my official closing time though because there are days that a parent will ask if it's okay if their child stays here longer so they can do an errand, attend a meeting, go to a dr's appt etc. As long as it doesn't become a daily or even weekly thing, I don't mind as they are paying for the day.
    Unfortunately this can blow up in our faces in that you give an inch but they take a mile. I still prefer to do things this way though. Everybody deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt and a helping hand occasionally.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Agreed! If they were to take advantage of this too often, than I would discuss this with them. However, because I charge by the day, I don't mind if they do it once in awhile but I do think they as parents would want to spend as much time with their child as they can. I have been fortunate that almost all of my parents have always been like this. There was only one that I think left their child here longer than needed but there isn't much I can do about that when I don't have hard proof lol....it's sad to see though!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Ladies. Please. Be kind no need to attack each other over a difference of opinion.

Outgoing
    I charge per day, and am open 7:30 to 5 pm. I agree that we can't make a blanket statement like all parents work 8 hour days, but, as someone already mentioned, often you have different people dropping off and picking up. I have one child dropped off by Dad on his way to work at 9 after dropping the older child at school, and Mom, who has to be at work at 7:30, picks up at 3:45 after she has picked up the older child at school. These parents have worked out their hours so that one parent takes the older sibling to school, and the other is finished by 3 for pick up.
    Another family, Mom drops off on her way to work at 9:45 and Dad picks up at 5, even though Mom is still working. Another family, Grandma drops off at 9 so the child can sleep in a bit (Mom has to leave at 7 am) and Grandma picks up again at 4:30. I guess when it comes down to it, the longest a child stays is 7 hours, so I'm glad I charge by the day and not by the hour.

Right now the shortest day I have for a child is 8 1/2 and the rest are 9 - 9 1/2 depending greatly on traffic as they all commute back from TO to pick up. Fortunately they all have local back up so if they get stuck in traffic and can't get to me by closing then they have someone else pick up. I am always getting text messages of whereabouts they are on their commute home which is helpful.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by luppernoodle View Post
    I am willing to bet my Lululemons that she has more than the legal 5 children in her care.

I'd expect a phone call from that Mom asking if you still have that opening. Caregivers like that [I]usually[I] are not providing quality food or activities because they don't get the money for it. The parents are still paying the exact same price, she's just been VERY clever in how she gets it.
    this is the quote that is stating that because this provider is charging per hour that she is an illegal daycare. I only charge 30 dollars a day so are you saying I'm an illegal daycare too. This is insulting to all of us because again you don't know where we live or why we charge what we do. And I'm angry that you said that we (those who undercharge) don't provide quality food or activities.
    I also never called anyone names, I simply stated that the reasoning was stupid. And don't you dare tell me that because of my post that I shouldn't be working with children, yes, readers this was sent to me thru a message. All because I refused to be called illegal.

Let me put you straight once and for all. I did not say YOU. I was a parent before I opened my daycare. I interviewed a LOT of people. I interviewed people as cheap as $20 and as expensive as $60. The people I INTERVIEWED and who were RATTED ON by OTHER CAREGIVERS all warned me about a) hourly and b) cheap rates where the norm was $XX per day.

AS A CAREGIVER, every time I go out to playgroup, in walks cargivers with 6 & 7 children. Having been a Mom for 12 years now, I have only seen THREE caregivers beside me who did not push over 5 and THAT IS IN MY EXPERIENCE.

You are taking this FAR too personally. This is a discussion of opinions and now you are attacking me for having one.
    The thing is you made a very strong blanket statement which didn't include that it is based on your experience as you have now done. Most providers who post on here always say IME or IMO and after stating their standpoint back it up with a reason. It's not about agreeing with others or tip toeing around someone in case they are insulted, goodness no, but it's about being respectful to people and about providers that you know absolutely nothing about when you pass judgement on them whether on here or elsewhere. You didn't do this, simply made the assumption with no real grounds that she must be illegal and then didn't give any justifiable reason based on fact be it experience or not that this provider MUST be illegal. You can say whatever you want, that's true, but don't expect not to get backlashed when you insult people when making blanket statements like you have done without giving a reason to back it up. In addition if you are sending private messages confronting people about their opinions then again don't expect people to role over and not get defensive. I am all for having your own opinion but expect that of others too. You may not have named another member or meant it to be directed at her, but the statement you made was directed at all providers, or at the very least majority who charge lower than the average. There was for sure a way to put things across in a much better manner without offending people who it may imply are doing the same thing. That's where a simple IMO or IME would have made what you said much less offensive to those who took it as such.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Yes, let's talk BLANKET statements here. You ALL make sweeping blanket statements - we all do. Can you imagine for one moment if parents REALLY knew about this site and all the sweeping blanket statements and generalizations we all make about them. There would be so much to answer for suddenly - bumps, scrapes, little bruises, what did they eat, how much, can you prove it - your lives would be very hard once parents read this board and got REALLY ANGRY.

I stand by my opinion and my experience. AS A MOTHER, I avoid and recommend to ALL my friends with kids to AVOID caregivers who undercut other caregivers with their rates and for all the same reasons as in my initial post.

That SHE took it to mean I was talking about HER specifically is HER problem, not mine. I am entitled to my opinion as you all are and I've read more than one thread where you all went after parent who were just asking a question or trying to understand how it all works. It is NOT my ONE statement that is making anyone here look bad. One only has to read the contents of this entire forum.
    If we are going to be accurate about this then the truth would be that people will make generalizations based on their experiences which most members will go into the details of and you DID NOT do this. A generalization based on a persons experience is to be expected but the opinion is backed up with examples and an explanation in most cases...again you didn't do that which seems to be the cause of this issue now.

Outgoing
    I just have to say, are you sure that EVERY time you see a provider with more than 5 children, that some are not her own? I have 3 of my own kids under 6 and at one time had 5 daycare kids under 6 as well. That's 8 kids total, but I am well within my legal rights to have them. Some providers on these boards have 4 or 5 kids of their own. If they were all close together and all out with a full daycare that could potentially be 10 kids. Now, most of us would say that 10 under age 6 or so would be insane, but it WOULD still be legal if 5 were yours. I think that is the point being made, that blanket, generalizing statements that aren't backed up tend to get people's hackles raised.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    luppernoodle, I am not interested in fighting but just wanted to comment on a statement you made....

"I stand by my opinion and my experience. AS A MOTHER, I avoid and recommend to ALL my friends with kids to AVOID caregivers who undercut other caregivers with their rates and for all the same reasons as in my initial post."

I don't think this is a fair statement. I realize it is your opinion but there are providers who offer quality care at a lesser rate than some. They might have a spouse who makes a lot of money and they are doing hdc as a way to make "fun, extra money" and/or to offer their child(ren) playdates and get paid for it. Some aren't doing it to undercut other hdcp's but rather to offer another alternative to parents who need care and can't afford a high fee or get into a subsidized spot. Just because they are offering cheaper dc doesn't necessarily mean that the care is cheap as well or that they are going over their numbers. Some people are better at budgeting and stretching their dollar than others too.

I admit, when I see a provider offering care for far less than I do, I wonder how they are doing it but I don't know their situation and it would be unfair of me to just assume that all that are doing this are running illegally. If they want to charge less and are getting by with their income than all the power to them! We are in the business of providing a service and we will all have different rates according to our own specific situations. It's no different than hair dressers, plumbers, massage therapists, manicurists etc charging different rates. We get to decide how much to charge for the service we provide but IMO that doesn't mean that all the cheap ones should be discredited.

Sometimes cheaper doesn't mean better but I also don't think more expensive means the best!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: