Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Just had the interview from HELL!!!!

So I had this family email me that they were looking for a spot for their "2 wonderful children", as they put it, lol. That description couldn't be more wrong!

They came this evening to meet and go over the contract, etc. I always do my interviews after all dck's have left so I can give complete attention to the parents and answering any questions they may have. I also always interview in my living room, away from the playroom as I don't want anymore messes than I already have had to clean up from my long day with the dck's.

Well, it was mom and dad that came so of course they bring the kids along as well, boy - age 2 and girl - age 4. I have never seen more disruptive little children in a long time. First boy decides to beeline it to my sweet kitty who was innocently sitting on the floor and pull her up by the tail!!! Girl decides she is going to get up on my couch and jump around on it...and I'm looking to the parents...ok, it's time to discipline!!

The whole time it was dad running after boy up and down my stairs to the bedrooms and mom telling her daughter to please stop touching the glass candleholders and picture frames that are on my tv stand.

I had just had it.....I told the dad that the boy needs to stay in the room with us and not run upstairs into the bedrooms and girl needs to keep her hands of my breakables...she's 4 for God's sake, she knows better.

After all this, I barely made it through the contract with the mom, and she says to me that they will get back to me to let me know whether they will choose me or not!!! I kind of chuckled and sent them on their way. Oh my, there is no way I would take these kids!!!

Thankfully I got a phone call after they left from the mom that needed care in 2 weeks but I told her that my other dck's weren't leaving until the summer. She wants to come to me the end of June, so she is dropping deposit and contract off tomorrow...yay. She is so sweet and so are her little ones
    Last edited by mattsmom; 04-10-2014 at 07:41 PM.

I'm exhausted reading it. Even though your daycare room may have been messed up, in all likelihood your interview probably would have gone a lot differently had you done it in there and at the end the kids and parents would have been asked to tidy up so problem solved. Not really shocked that the kids were messing around in your living room. Interview for daycare = BORING for little ones. No excuse for parents not disciplining though. Sigh....

I always interview in my daycare room as after all it is the setting their child will spend most of their day, my living room is my personal space so not where I do interviews.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Wow, you are a very kind and patient person. I believe I would have had them out of my house without talking about my contract at all and I've done that before. It's ok to know when we don't want a family and not waste our time. We are very busy people!

The one I wrapped up the quickest ever was a Dad conducting the interview and the Mom & little girl speaking German to each other between us. It was so disruptive and exhausting that I ended it quickly.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

I just don't understand, if their children act like this in public and we are supposed to be reading through the contract and them asking questions, why didn't they leave kids home with dad and just mom come? If they decided to come with me, I could have met dad and kids after.
    I usually chose my living room also because it is a quiet and comfortable environment to get to know one another with the parent(s).
    Momof4, I know what you're saying but I think I was more in shock that this was happening, so it was rendering me speechless for a bit, lol.

Shy
    You have a lot of patience! Well at least you got a taste of what it would have been like with them in your care!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to momma2two For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
    I just don't understand, if their children act like this in public and we are supposed to be reading through the contract and them asking questions, why didn't they leave kids home with dad and just mom come? If they decided to come with me, I could have met dad and kids after.
    I usually chose my living room also because it is a quiet and comfortable environment to get to know one another with the parent(s).
    Momof4, I know what you're saying but I think I was more in shock that this was happening, so it was rendering me speechless for a bit, lol.
    Are you saying you are actually considering accepting this family? I insist that the parents and child are all in attendance at the interview for this exact reason. I would not accept them into care because all I would foresee would be problems. If the parents do not have any rules or discipline at home or out in public you know they are not going to help you when you need it and you're going to have nothing but headaches with this family. I only accept families who share the same parenting philosophies as me, for raising well behaved, considerate, empathetic children who understand rules and praise, but also consequences for bad behaviour.
    Frederick Douglass

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Are you saying you are actually considering accepting this family? I insist that the parents and child are all in attendance at the interview for this exact reason. I would not accept them into care because all I would foresee would be problems. If the parents do not have any rules or discipline at home or out in public you know they are not going to help you when you need it and you're going to have nothing but headaches with this family. I only accept families who share the same parenting philosophies as me, for raising well behaved, considerate, empathetic children who understand rules and praise, but also consequences for bad behaviour.
    Oh God no, I am definitely not accepting them. I wrote her a short email afterward explaining that I did not think they were a good fit for my daycare and I will not be accepting them into care.

The thing that keeps me confused is that when parents come to interview you, they are under the impression that they are in charge and it is their, and only their decision whether they come to you. On the other hand you are interviewing them for the sake of figuring out if they are a good fit for your daycare, so you are choosing whether to take them or not.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think it's a mix of both. I am deciding if I want them and they are deciding if they want me. In the end though, it's up to me. However, there will likely be times that I decide I want the family but they choose to go elsewhere.

I understand why you would want the interview in your living room but I would think the daycare would be the best for the children and in the end, better for you as well!

They sound like a handful no matter where they would be though lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Mattsmom, I tell people during the interview that they need the best daycare fit for their family and I need the best family who will fit into my daycare. Blunt, but honest and it lets them know that I have the last word and if they want the space it is not a done deal by any means until I approve them. It's all about being a strong businesswoman and not letting anyone walk all over you.
    Frederick Douglass