Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Good advice already and the only thing I have to add is that a doctor's note means absolutely nothing to me. I decide who comes in my door in the morning and if I have to run and get the thermometer because I can tell the child has a fever or hear about vomit or diarrhea in the night, that family is going home. I'm here to protect all the children from sickness.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Well I have spent the last two days , sick from a dck !!!! My dd too !!! So I get the frustration !!!! My one dck family is constantly sick ! Two siblings , and a single mom ! She brings them dosed but says she doesn't . There's no way of knowing for sure !! If I phone her to pick up I feel like she thinks I over react , and will text later that the dck is fine , running around playing !! To further imply I over reacted ! I get that she would miss a lot of work due to two kids taking turns being sick but these are her kids !
    I have a contract in place , I don't freak at a cold but diareah , green noses , dck wanting to lay down instead of playing , how does this come under my work responsibilities ? I am not your mom , aunt or friends house !
    I really enjoy the family , they are never late paying , dcks are an enjoyable part of my dayhome !! But I'm seriously considering terming due to this issue !
    I think the dad had no right to contact anyone !! I would be furious if my dh ever thought it his place to handle my dayhome business !
    I do share my frustrations with my dh and he understands specific issues with dck families , as I'm sure this guy does , it is absolutely wrong for him to take it upon himself to take care of it ! I would send a copy of the text back and discuss with your provider , if you are happy with her services otherwise .
    As a provider , and as I have spent the last 2 days sick and my dd sick , due directly from a dck having " common cold symptoms" let me just say this , if your child isn't acting like he/she normally does , keep them home !!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Secondtimearound For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What I see is an angry overtired set of parents. I get the feeling dad is not as convinced as the mom that the home daycare is a good idea but he goes along with it. What they are facing is the dilemma of does the tired from being up in the night dad stay home with the sick child and keep them away from the daycare so the mom can open the daycare and get paid or does dad drag his tired butt to work but mom closes the daycare because of the sick child but gets no pay. Either way all he sees is HIS family suffering financially because of a daycare family that didn't follow the rules. I get that.

That is also one of the reason I do not close when one of my own children was sick unless they were the absolute first ones to bring something into the house which was rarely if ever the case. My kid is sick because of daycare parents so too bad. That is not the attitude parents deserve either but you can understand why the caregiver would do that. Also a parent does not feel they should have to pay on days their child is home sick or the provider closes due to their own child having gotten sick from a daycare child. Can't have it both ways. Just as most parents still get paid when they are home using a personal day the provider deserves the same privilege so if you get your daycare provider's child sick by sending your sicker than you want to believe child to daycare you should be expected to pay for the space used in daycare. I did not get from what was posted that the provider was being paid when she needed to close and that is what the husband is mad about - why should their family suffer because of the insensitive actions of a daycare parent.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    A) In the case of diarrhea you should follow the providers policy whether you agree with it or not,and wait the 24 hours
    B) In the case of fever you should follow the providers policy whether you agree with it or not,and wait the 24 hours
    You don't know what these symptoms could lead to, further you signed a contract to do so.
    In this instance, the dad was not acting in a professional or polite manner. Sending a text at 3am in not acceptable. He may be worn out but if he expects you to be professional and adhere to their policies he has to be professional as well!

The doc's note request is ridiculous. I agree with momof4, my daycare, so I have last word on whether a child is well enough to attend.
    Last edited by Daycare123; 04-14-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo

Euphoric !
    I agree fully with the other ladies who have said that you should definitely be following your daycare provider's illness policies. If your child had diahrea, they need to be home for 24 hours symptom free before returning. And to me, a fever is a fever and lowgrade or not it is usually a sign of something brewing. There is no way to know what illness may be coming until we have all been exposed to it through this "low grade fever".
    That said, obviously the provider's husband did not handle the situation professionally. A doctor's note will not do much good in this case. And texting in an accusatory way in the middle of the night is completely unwarranted. As a caregiver, I know that kids will pass things around and sometimes we will catch things from the daycare kids and other times they might catch things from my kids who bring it home from school. I do my best to keep sick kids home and when my kids are sick, I keep them away from the daycare. Despite all this, we often all get sick anyway because things spread before the symptoms appear. I do not get angry if we catch something from a daycare kids normally as it is beyond anyone's control. However, I would be angry if we caught it and I knew that the parents had drugged and sent sick kids deliberately or otherwise not followed my illness policies. It sounds like perhaps this may be the cause of the anger in this situation.

Expansive...
    Hi OP, I'm curious to know how this all panned out? Thanks!

Well, that whole daycare has a problem, IMO. One, it is the dcprovider's daycare - NOT her husband's daycare. She needs to grow a freaking professional backbone and take care of her OWN business. If SHE doesn't like how a parent is handling things SHE needs to take care of it - not hide behind her husband's coat tails. If she can't handle the confrontational part of her business (which there always is from time to time) then she has no business being IN business.

Second, as a provider, I don't give that much power to ANY one else - medical doctor included. The MD doesn't run my daycare - I DO! So a doctor's note means NOTHING to me. NOTHING. It is MY decision and judgment that matters with regard to who attends and when.

Third, she has a contract and she should make parents follow it. If they aren't following it and she is upset by it then, again, that is HER fault. And if she doesn't have a contract, then, again, shame on her for not having one.

Now, as for the OP....if you ARE under contract then you need to go and read it and see what it says about illness policies. I know in my contract NO amount of fever is acceptable and I wouldn't really care what a parents deems as 'acceptable'. All that really matters is what I think is acceptable and that is all clearly laid out in the contract and policies.

This whole situation could have been prevented if your dcprovider would just take control of her business and stop giving the power away to her husband, the daycare parents, and anyone else - like the MD.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Yep you ARE that parent! I always detested the parents who brought their sick kid to care. Some children have compromised immune systems and what a common cold is for your kid turns into a hospital stay for my child. Please be considerate of other peoples families. I think a text at 3am was unprofessional but I think a sick policy SHOULD be in place and enforced with NO exceptions.

Shy
    I'd not be returning to such an unprofessional setting myself and be using his nasty text against him/ them as evidence.

I'd also be asking him for a criminal record check that covers vulnerable persons as children are, since he likes to think he can order you all a doctors note! More valid to get his criminal record check anyway. Doctors note I'd tell him to take a hike, you don't have to do that, innoculation record is good enough. And a thermometer on them taking in any children daily if they feel one is not well enough to accept as someone mentioned already. Who does he think he is to make such demands anyway?

Colds are normal in children, they get a lot more than us, and if a child has a cold it's a good thing not a bad thing, I can say this as a nurse, they are building up their immunity and it's an important process. Worse is to try and treat it as it's a virus and viruses can't be cured you just have to ride it out. Flu is different, aches, pains and a fever, it's more than a runny nose obviously. So if he's ranting over a cold then tell him to grow up, get better educated and to provide that criminal record check of course. I'd be telling him that if it were me before swiftly departing to find a more professional day care for my child.
    Last edited by blackcomb; 08-10-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Outgoing
    I haven't read all of the replies but I will answer your questions.

I am in NS. Here, Public Health have guidelines for the situations when a child should be excluded from the day care. Fever, vomiting, diarrhoea are automatically a full 24 hour exclusion.

This is in my contracts and I expect full co-operating with this and the rest of my sickness policy. I do understand that getting a sick note is a inconvenience. I do also understand that having time off work when your child seems better after less that 24 hours is an inconvenience BUT...Bringing a sick child into my home, exposes my family, my other day care children and myself to the illness. It's an inconvenience when your child infects other children and their parents also need time off. It's an inconvenience to everyone if I get sick and have to close.

This is in my contacts however, and clients know this when they come here - and I will and do enforce it for the reasons given.

However, from your post, it seems this is a sudden, middle of the night policy change. In terms of the contract you have with your provider, neither party can simply change the contract, effectively immediately without both sides agreeing. If your contact has similar exclusions to mine, then you signed it and legally you have to abide by it. If it's not in the contract, then unless Public Health in your area has these guidelines, then I'm not sure the change can be enforced.

I do agree that the 3am phone call from the husband is highly unprofessional. There were better ways of handling that but as you said, tired frustrated parents sometimes don't make the wisest choices.

What does your contract say?