Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taxes

Starting to feel at home...

Taxes

I want to claim a portion of my internet, tv, and home phone expenses but I'm not sure what to claim them under. I'm thinking under the telephone and utilities portion of business expenses, but my husband thinks it should be under the business-use-of-the-home section since we'll only be claiming a portion. What do you all do?

Starting to feel at home...
    From what I understand, you can NOT claim home phone. I think the same is for tv and internet

Euphoric !
    I've always claimed portions of internet, home phone, cell phone and satellite. They all get used by the daycare, so why not? My accountant says it's fine so we go ahead and do it. If you use those things for your daycare, why wouldn't a portion be claimed?

Euphoric !
    I'm not sure what my accountant puts it under but I claim half of all household bills including the tv and internet. The kids watch the tv and I use the internet for work purposes. I also claim the netflix.

I too have heard you can't claim house phone but I have no idea why. We don't even have a landline so I've never looked into it.

Euphoric !
    I claim 50% of my internet and TV. For home phone my accountant told me that you cannot claim it at all but for cell phone you can claim 100%. We don't have a home phone but 2 cell phones so we claim 100% of 1 cell phone.

Also not exactly sure where my accountant puts it either, sorry lol

Expansive...
    Ah man !!!!!! I forgot to claim my cell phone !!!

Expansive...
    My accountant says cell phone is 100% claim for business only. Home phones do not count for claiming. Only internet can be claimed under % use of home expenses. Cable or satellite is not supposed to eligible to be claimed.

Euphoric !
    why not cable or satellite? If it wasn't for the kids I certainly wouldn't be paying for all the channels I get. My accountant uses 50% for my TV as well.

Euphoric !
    You can't claim home phone but I always just put my cell phone, internet, cable into the business use of home calculation with the idea that they are available to me during daycare hours.

Expansive...
    You can claim long distance charges, but you cannot claim your home phone unless it is ONLY used for business. You can claim a percentage of air time expenses on your cell phone if it is for daycare purposes. I got this info directly from the CRA website - "Using your home for Daycare".

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p134/README.html

I claimed Internet, Netflix and my cell phone under the Business Use of Home section.