Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Rough morning!!!

Oh lord, I don't think I'm going to make it with this new dcb!

It's been just over 2 weeks and it's been hell. He's 12 months and you can tell he has never been far from mom and dad before. As soon as I even think of getting up and moving to a different area of the room, we come inside or go outside, one of the kids go near him or anything else, he freaks. And he doesn't have a regular cry either....it's a high pitched, somebody is killing me, kind of cry. I swear it's gonna make my ears bleed one of these days.

I just don't know what to do with him...unless I carry him around all day, which I would never do, he just freaks out at every little thing. I've tried to talk to mom, but she just says she doesn't know how to help him, because he's fine at home. Of course he is, he get coddled all day, every day from them.

I don't want to give up so soon, but it is wearing on me and the other dck's.

I need some words of support that I'm not the only one going through this.

I am not currently going through this but have and it really does exhaust everyone to listen to the crying. I just continued to talk in a soothing voice to the child as I moved about the playroom. This was to show the other kids I was calm (yeah right) and to relax them.
    You just have to prove to this child that you will meet all their needs and soon it will be like a switch went on and they will be o.k.
    It is so hard when you get the coddled child but they also have to learn that what happens at home does not happen at daycare. I would keep his routine strict so this child knows what to expect. A good routine will always help.
    Good luck and make sure you take a break!!!
    Last edited by mimi; 04-14-2014 at 05:41 PM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I had one like this too. The first 3 weeks were awful, and after that it still wasn't great. Until about 3 months in, when they took a 10 day vacation in Hawaii. I think having the break just helped him click with the changes. When he got back he was honestly a different kid.

Maybe if this child is having a bit of a break over Easter he might have a similar change!

I'm going through the same right now. It's awful, I feel your pain. She just finished her 2 weeks integration, she was fine then boom! The last two fill days were horrific. Today is supposed to be the start of her full-time hours but I got the flu had to close daycare. I'm hoping she will be ok when she comes back. Finger crossed!

Euphoric !
    I had one who took 4 weeks...it is very hard when they cry all day! However, it is normal for some kids unfortunately I kind of get where the mom is coming from...he is not crying at home, so she doesn't really know what she can do to help. It will take time for him to feel secure with you and the other kids. Try sitting on the floor with him and gradually moving farther away bit by bit until he feels secure playing on his own. It is hard for them to just be plunked down in the midst of the busyness. Sometimes they need a lot of reassurance. Hang in there!

Expansive...
    ((hugs))

Transitioning kids has got to earn us a nomination for sainthood.

I have been there many times and have had days where I just felt like calling the parents to say I give up and to come get their child. Fantasizing about quitting would get me through the day.

Usually it takes 2-4 weeks to settle the crier and just when I am about to terminate - I realize the child is settling in better.

I agree with keeping on a tight routine/schedule so the child learns what happens next.

Try spending some one on one time with the child where you play with the child rather than just holding them. Try dancing with them or playing something silly to start building that trust and bond with them. Once they learn to trust you and the other kids and your home then the child will settle in.

It is really draining - make sure you take it easy on weekends and evenings to recharge your own batteries and stay sane.

Euphoric !
    Great advice given already!! When I am transitioning children I find a consistent routine, lots of fun and laughter, cuddles and getting outside help the best! The quicker a child is comfortable with me and my home, the quicker they adjust. I have only had one child take the full 2 weeks to transition, he cried 24/7 but he also had a broken arm at the time which definitely didn't help!!

I will have 2 new children starting next week, one full time and one 3 days a week and I'm a little scared already!! I've been really spoiled as of lately when it comes to transitioning but I haven't transitioned 2 at the same time since I first opened 2.5 years ago!! They were both under 1 though and for the most part were pretty good! The ones starting next week are 15 and 20 months so I'm hoping it goes well too. I'm going to stock up on my favourite wine though as crying all day is something that really gets to me!!! lol

Good luck!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Great advice given already!! When I am transitioning children I find a consistent routine, lots of fun and laughter, cuddles and getting outside help the best! The quicker a child is comfortable with me and my home, the quicker they adjust. I have only had one child take the full 2 weeks to transition, he cried 24/7 but he also had a broken arm at the time which definitely didn't help!!

I will have 2 new children starting next week, one full time and one 3 days a week and I'm a little scared already!! I've been really spoiled as of lately when it comes to transitioning but I haven't transitioned 2 at the same time since I first opened 2.5 years ago!! They were both under 1 though and for the most part were pretty good! The ones starting next week are 15 and 20 months so I'm hoping it goes well too. I'm going to stock up on my favourite wine though as crying all day is something that really gets to me!!! lol

Good luck!
    My client phoned last night to tell me that her daughter wouldn't be coming to daycare for the next couple of days because she broke her arm. I've never dealt with broken bones before, any helpful hints?:

Euphoric !
    Daycare mom....I have to say that even tho this child cried 24/7 for 2 weeks, when it came to his arm, he was a trooper! It was in a cast and then his parents put it in a sling as well for the first couple weeks. He didn't show any signs of discomfort but I'm sure some of the crying was due to pain. I'm not sure if they gave him anything for pain but I know I didn't. He was just over a year old. He eventually didn't wear the sling and when he played you wouldn't even known he had a cast on. I told the kids xxx had a boo boo and that we couldn't touch his arm. They were all fantastic and never bothered him.

For nap, he still slept on his stomach with his bum in the air. His arm never seemed to bother him!! We even went outside and he would play a bit.

Thanks everyone for the support. It's funny when I think about some of the other dck's I've had and when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, it got better. I think it's just getting to that point that can drive you to the brink of insanity, lol.

It was a bit better this afternoon. He sat on the floor with some of the other kids and played with the toys. Hopefully it will get better as the days go by.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post: