Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Oh, what to do....

So I had a great interview for a spot on the weekend. Family will be contacting me today to confirm placement etc... But... I have two other children right now "John" and "Bill"(naturally these are not their real names). Bill is amazing and it looks like will be going to full time in the summer. Love this kid and very excited to have him an extra day. John is a different story. he has been in my care for over 1 year and is generally ok until he decides to cry; the grating on my nerves, will not stop cry. This poor kid is, what I refer to as "the light is on but no one is home". at just over two he does not communicate at all. if I ask a question he just stares at me. He doesn't even attempt to assist with putting on shoes/coat/pants. more like a blob of jelly sitting there (ok, I know that sounds harsh). His mom recently asked if I could take him an additional day during the week. Moving from one to two days per week. I said yes prior to this interview as I need to fill up my spots. So... Interview was awesome as is the little child and they need 4 days a week. I like a small group of children (I have my 2yr old here at home too). Do I keep John and take on the additional child, or do I let John go? Made all the more difficult as the parents of John are friends of a friend... gah! Basically if I keep John I will have 2 days a week of 4 kids. I guess my real issue is how to approach a termination of an existing client due to needing full time placement instead of only two days/week.

Euphoric !
    Why don't you try having them all for a bit and if it is truly an issue decide then to let a family go. Small groups are great but sometimes a bit bigger a group is beneficial as the kids all entertain each other more etc., you may find it isn't much more work and that it works for you!

If you are not over ratio then I don't think there is a benefit to terming a family before giving it a try, especially if it is a not a bigger group 5 days a week.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree Lee-Bee Fingers crossed the papers are all signed by tonight! I have been advertising since December! (but I"m really picky too)