Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

How do you deal with......

families asking for space months away?
    I am just starting my daycare, so I have three spaces to fill. I often have people contacting me asking if I have space for three or even four months away. As of now, I do, but I need families now, not four months from now. I don't want to risk losing out on someone who needs care right away.
    What do you guys do?

Euphoric !
    You might tell them that you will put them on your waiting list in case you still have a space open in a few months and you will get back to them. I won't hold spaces for 3-4 months, but if I know that I have a space coming available in Sep. for example, I will sign contracts now and take the deposit so all is in order. But don't short yourself the income for all those months when you can continue to advertise and fill the spaces. You deserve to make an income every month.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    the longest I will hold a space is 2 months and that is with a deposit. If my area could support the idea, I would charge a holding fee, however no other provider does that here so there is no way I could.

i would do as above suggested, offer to contact them in a few months if something is still available. Alternately, if you are just getting started, you could use one spot to 'hold' and try and fill the other two.

Euphoric !
    I do not hold spaces. If your spot is open now then you can either tell them you will add them to your waiting list or they can start paying for the spot now (possibly at a reduced rate?). I charge $30 a day but charge $25 a day for when people are on holidays so if someone wants to hold a spot for awhile they are more than welcome to pay the $25 holiday fee per day until they need to use the spot.

Euphoric !
    I tell them that they can either chance it and go on the waiting list or take the spot immediately and pay the holiday fee ($400 vs $600/month). I wouldn't want to do this for more than 2 months though if I knew I could fill the spots.

Shy
    Thanks everyone!!