Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Shy

Some parents who don't want to be around their kids

When I first started a daycare, I did not expect to see how many families would just leave their kids with me just because I was open and had an opportunity to go home without them there.
    Last edited by adaycarelady; 01-20-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Euphoric !
    I have from time to time had parents drop kids off while they took a sick day or holiday but I have to say, for the most part, my parents have always kept their child home with them when they could. I offer a discount ($10 less/day) if they let me know before payment is due if they are going to be doing this. I have found the times that they do send them is when they have already paid and an unexpected day off comes up. I understand, they are paying for the service, so it's up to them to decide how they want to deal with it. If a parent takes a day to themselves from time to time, I am okay with it. However, when a parent is home often and still sends their child, I feel sad for the child. But this is my job and they pay me to do it so what can you do? I try not to waste my time worrying about what others do anymore...makes life so much more enjoyable

I also state in my contract that parents should be picking their child up shortly after their shift has ended and not waiting until my closing time if they do not need too. For quite some time, I was done work an hour early because all parents followed this suggestion/rule. Today I have a new child and they need care right until the last minute so my early days are over but that is okay too. I knew my early days wouldn't last forever haha. I am a daycare provider, not a babysitter and my parents know they are paying for the service not the hours.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 04-21-2014 at 06:18 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    You think that's bad?

I had a pair of daycare brothers who's parents took a week or so in the summer and the 2 weeks at Christmas, off work and sent them to me every single day...and wouldn't even pick up early!! Not to mention that to shut the kids up when they knew mom and dad weren't going to work and they wanted to stay home, dad would bribe them saying that when they got home from my house he would have a treat waiting for them! I would try to drop subtle suggestions, like "oh, they are the only ones here today(or this week), because the other parents took days off to do fun things with them", or "I remember when I got time off work before I did daycare and I cherished the extra time I got to spend with my kids". They totally didn't get it

I've gotten parents like that all the time over the years. I still get miffed when a mom would drop her child off with mom still in her sweats and tell me that she has the day off but she just wanted to go home and back to bed. Hell, I would love to be able to do that too, but unfortunately I have parents that rely on me every day!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I totally understand what you mean adaycarelady! Unfortunately, some parents view it as a day they are paying for and not the service. I make it very clear that I am not a babysitter and that this is daycare. I am not with an agency so I fortunately don't have to worry about parents complaining about me. If they don't like the way I run things they are free to leave though.

I wouldn't go as far to call it neglect....just a different parenting style. I've been in the daycare business for a long time and have seen many different types of parenting and sometimes there is real neglect and that is painful to see and when actions need to be taken. Leaving their child with their dcp that they are paying is not neglect IMO.

Euphoric !
    It's sometimes frustrating to see parents do things so differently than we do or would do but we have to ask ourselves...are they neglecting/endangering their child or just doing things different than me? In the end, these are their children and there are probably a lot of things we do that parents don't like either but unless the child is being harmed, we sometimes just have to deal with it, both the parents and the providers.

I used to get upset/frustrated/annoyed with things (and trust me, I still do from time to time!!) but I have learned that there are some things I don't get to have a say in or control. As long as the child is happy, well cared for and loved that's all that matters! Fortunately for me, I have a great fiance and bff that allow me to vent about some of the crazy parenting styles I have seen! LOL

Euphoric !
    It is sad, very sad when parents are on vacation and bring their child to daycare every day. It breaks my heart! But I am here doing my job and the parents pay for their space and are entitled to use their days. There is no use getting upset, but give that child an extra hug! I can't imagine being that kind of parent but there are a lot of them out there I've discovered.

So now, I don't judge at all. If a parent needs a day to themself or to get a lot of work done around their home without their child, what difference does that make to me? Usually they will use a short day. But I had a parent on vacation last month who used their usual 9 hour days every day and I have a very different opinion of that parent now, I admit it.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh I totally agree!! I have a few just like that! I had one mom today with the day off who had a doctor appointment. I imagine her doctor appointment was only an hour or so not the 7 hours that I had the girl. The same mom took a week holiday in the fall and I also had her daughter 3 days out of the 5.

I have another mom who had today off. I asked her last week if I should expect her daughter today. She said she would let me know as she wasn't sure yet. She said she really would like a day to herself but was debating on whether she was going to feel like getting up and dressed to bring her daughter here today. She ended up not coming. I just shake my head though...sure it is nice to have a day to yourself but I have her daughter from 8-5 everyday then on weekends she pawns her daughter off on grandma a lot. Poor kid!!

One dad who picked up today picked up in his casual clothes and not his uniform. Not 100% sure but I assume that he was home from work today as well being Easter Monday.

I just don't understand it. I would like nothing more than to spend a day with my own child.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I had only one here today as well. I try not to be bothered by it, but the funny thing was that she was dropped off because dcm said she had to do yard work... Which is exactly what I had to do. And did do. With her kid and my two! (And don't worry, nothing dangerous!)

Euphoric !
    Wow...it's a little harsh in here! No one actually knows, in all cases, what these parents are doing with their bit of free time while the kids are at daycare. We all know from our own busy lives that sometimes it's just easier to get things done without the little gaffers around. I'd probably be taking advantage of that time to do the bigger jobs I couldn't do with toddlers swinging from my apron strings....or...god forbid...take a day to myself. I've sent my own off to care (before my own daycare days) when I really didn't need it. I was a stay at home mother and my 2 went for the mornings at a local daycare centre. If I'd been able to afford it, they would have stayed for nap too! I don't think that makes me a bad or inattentive parent. It makes me someone with some free time to get stuff done without stopping every 2 seconds. Bless all of you who love juggling a pile of kids while doing your yard work, home renovations, house work, what have you. Not all of us love that and if there's a daycare space there, paid for and available, then why wouldn't a parent use it? I love my kids but have never had qualms about leaving them in care if I needed some time. And to this day, though I love my kids, I also have no qualms about leaving them behind and taking off for a vacation for a week by myself. I also love my sanity. I'd be so offended if I was a parent reading some of these comments in here.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I agree that alot of parents don't seem to want to be around their children during their time off.
    I have parents who send their children on their days off, some the entire day, some pick up early. They send them for various reasons, appts, wanting to clean (I agree with the other poster completely about cleaning around your kiddos - I still manage to get my cleaning done while running a daycare, its called FREE PLAY LOL!) etc.
    That said, I have just re opened after a 3 week maternity leave, and being home with my 2 year old and trying to keep him busy was trying to say the least and I completely understand now, and will no longer judge those moms who still send their kiddos while home on maternity leave.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sassygirl For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast