Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    Shy
    YIKES! Where do I even begin with this thread. I feel so sorry that parents are getting the impression that they are being judged by daycare providers about how much time their children spend at daycare, or the fact that they choose to have a day to themselves or take an Adult vacation. Let me tell parents right now, this is not the sentiment of most PROFESSIONAL daycare providers. As a childcare PROFESSIONAL (assuming you have some form of education) it not your right nor duty to decipher if and when parents are spending quality time with their children. You have no idea what their home life is like or what their personal circumstances are. Your job is to provide quality care, not judgement. If you are not happy with how long children are in your care, or them being brought in on non statutory holidays, or resent the fact you are having to provide care that you outline in your contract, perhaps you need to adjust your program plan and policies or consider a new profession.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yyc.director For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Wow, I wonder if anyone else is feeling as mind boggled as me, lol.
    This is the first trip that I am taking away from my kids, ever. 3 days. 3 freaking days. I'm excited about it, and believe I have the right to be! It feels absolutely crazy to me that others would be judging me as a parent for this. So, I'm curious about what people think the detrimental effects to my children are going to be? And in the grand scheme of their entire lives, how me getting out and having a little fun one weekend a decade deserves a head shake?

I agree with the annoyance that there are a certain type of parents who seem to dislike parenting. I'm assuming that this thread had those type originally in mind, but there are a lot of general statements going around that somehow fit in anyone who takes a little time for themselves as a negative thing. Saying things like "Why wouldn't you want to be with your kids?" is such a judgmental statement...it's saying that anyone who spends even an hour out getting a pedicure, is selfish.
    Obviously, we all love our kids to the moon and back, heck most of us quit our jobs to change into this low paying, high stress, long hour job so that we could be there for our children more. And I'm going to boggle your minds even more......wait for it.........
    .......... I send my 3 1/2 yrs old to preschool 2 days a week. *GASP* And guess what? It doesn't mean I love him any less than you (general you) love your children. And it doesn't mean that he thinks I don't want to spend time with him. Sad? Heck no! He gets to enjoy the company of his other friends in another cool environment, with other fun and loving adults. It doesn't mean jack about my parenting, nor will he look back on his childhood and ponder "my, how I wish I didn't go to that fun school 2 days a week when I was 3..." DIFFERENT experiences make up a child's memories, and they don't always have to be with you. And they will still be great, and loving, and warm memories. And when I'm gone for those measly 3 days, my kids will be here with their Dad and their Grandma is coming over to sleepover...so, if they remember cuddling with their Lola or playing hide and seek with their Dad over the last game of Wok and Roll they just played with me, then that's fine by me. As long as they were good memories

Lou I went to Jamaica for a week last nov with my two sisters and my aunt and it was incredible .... Our first trip together and I hope not our last..... I have five kids of my ow and then of course the daycare kids .... I was so happy to get away and recharge my batteries and have adult conversation ( hubby works two jobs and is gone from 9am - 10:30pm so I'm alone with the kids all week) I felt I was starting to burn out and was snapping at my kids all the time .... Enjoy your trip to NYC ... You deserve it!!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    yy.director - The part you don't understand is we get to know a great deal about the families that are in our care. Coming from a relatively small city everyone knows everyone it seems. We are all professional providers but we have opinions as well. That is what daycarebear is for, to vent our feelings and frustrations. I (and most I think here) don't have an issue with parents taking some "me" time every now and again. But we do have those parents who drop off the second we open, pick up the second we close and put their kids to bed within 2 hours of being picked up at daycare, and also send the child to grandma all weekend long. We know these things, we talk to the parents daily, we interact very closely with their child day in and day out. We know when mom has the day off and is at home doing nothing!

I have had many parents with "I am paying you therefore I am sending my child no matter what" attitude. It is sad, it really is. So you may think it is petty but we are the one's dealing with the kids all day who are sad because older sibling went to grandma's for the day but child HAD to come to my house (because they are paying me ya know). We have hearts and love these kids too and only wish the best for them and know when they need some one on one time with mom/dad/grandma etc.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Kind of off topic but, what about when parents are off, but don't let you know? I had a dcg this morning that ended up having diarrhea and fever so I tried to call mom at work. The person covering for her said she had the day off today. I called her cell to let her know and she came right away, as she was out doing errands in town, and not at work in a nearby city.

My question is, should parents be letting us know if they take the day off and how they can be reached, in case something happens to their child?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
    Kind of off topic but, what about when parents are off, but don't let you know? I had a dcg this morning that ended up having diarrhea and fever so I tried to call mom at work. The person covering for her said she had the day off today. I called her cell to let her know and she came right away, as she was out doing errands in town, and not at work in a nearby city.

My question is, should parents be letting us know if they take the day off and how they can be reached, in case something happens to their child?
    Yes absolutely! I tell all my parents that they need to let me know if they are out of the office or not at their job for the day. Most of them are really good about this, I have "caught" a few who didn't go to work for the day and didn't tell me but there isn't much I can do. Most of my parents have either had a direct line at work or they all check their cells at work so it hasn't been a problem. However, in the case of an emergency I need to know where the parents are so that I'm not wasting time phoning places they aren't even at! I don't care if they have day off but at least tell me so I know where to reach you ICE!

Shy
    Wow, judge much OP?

Personally, I prefer to work so parents can work or go to school. I don't mind part of a day here and there, mind you. I do require that pick up happen before or after nap time though so the kids aren't getting interrupted. I did it myself when I worked outside the home. PART of a day though. I would go to an appointment, maybe grab some groceries or even just tear through some housework and then go pick up ds and have the rest of the day with him. Now, drop off and pick up times are arranged with their work schedules, so that when they are finished work they need to come and pick up not go grocery shopping or whatever. Full time here does not equal open to close.

For me the bottom line is that I'm willing to work with parents to some extent. I have one mom who has every second Friday afternoon off. With her schedule and travel time she would end up here at nap. So she picks up right after.

If a parent is paying for a service then why not? I feel lucky and flattered not used that I have the responsibility to care for their precious child.
    'Making a difference. One baby step at a time.'

Expansive...
    I have had many parents drop them here for all of Xmas holidays/all of March break when they are home(teachers). That breaks my heart. Yes you are paying for the spot, and by all means, please bring them in, but don't leave them 1-2 hrs longer than their regular day would have been if they'd been on a work schedule. Bring them in for a 6 hr day, so you can still accomplish things, and then pick them up early to spend some time with them. I find that mat leave parents who leave the older sibling in care seem to pick up 1-2 hrs later as well, so the child is here 10 hrs instead of the regular 8 hrs if mom was working. That drives me a little bonkers!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I have had many parents drop them here for all of Xmas holidays/all of March break when they are home(teachers). That breaks my heart. Yes you are paying for the spot, and by all means, please bring them in, but don't leave them 1-2 hrs longer than their regular day would have been if they'd been on a work schedule. Bring them in for a 6 hr day, so you can still accomplish things, and then pick them up early to spend some time with them. I find that mat leave parents who leave the older sibling in care seem to pick up 1-2 hrs later as well, so the child is here 10 hrs instead of the regular 8 hrs if mom was working. That drives me a little bonkers!
    But why are these kids staying longer than their regular hours? Do you just say "I'm open from this time to this time and they can bring their kids anytime in between?

I'm just curious because, for me, the parents and I agree on hours of care that they need and that's what they get. There is no leaving them here until closing when the parents are off, even if it's after their contracted hours.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

i totally agree with you. There are some daycare in my neighborhood that stay open until late afternoon and all summer so the parents can leave the kids there all day long. Its horrible