Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Advise! My own child is driving me nuts!

Ok, my dear daughter is 2 1/2 and has all the attitude that goes with this age. Does not fall asleep on her own and recently learned to climb out of her crib. We are on to a big girl bed. Which she loves till it is time to sleep. If I leave the room I get a full out banshee scream for at least 15 minutes and of course now she can get out on her own as well. She is a delightful, funny and joyful child. Usually very happy and easy going. But got a double dose of stubborn from her Daddy and me . I would love to hear from other Mom's who have dealt with this or a similar issue. I am at my wits end for lack of sleep and as much as I love her this is driving me nuts that she refuses to fall asleep without me there!

Expansive...
    Just walk in the room, put her back in her bed and walk out again - and repeat until she gives up and falls asleep. The first time or two you go back in just say "time to sleep", after that don't say anything. Did this with my older daughter, and do it now sometimes with my younger now that she is out of her crib. It is totally a Super Nanny strategy, if you ever watched that show. Good luck, it isn't easy! Been there, done that!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yup, we did the same as Amanda with my son...my strong willed, stubborn little prince. It took a whie and some nights a LOT of returns but he got the hint after a while. It also helped to leave his door open a crack.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

We just cuddle our two and a half year old until she falls asleep. I'm no longer breastfeeding her (weaned a few weeks ago) so now Daddy lays with her for about five minutes until she falls asleep.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SevenwatersDaughter For This Useful Post:

Yes I have been doing the cuddle for a long time, but it is becoming an exhausting affair and I really need to put her down and leave. I know it will be a long road I just pray God gives me the patience to deal with her!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenwatersDaughter View Post
    ...I'm no longer breastfeeding her (weaned a few weeks ago)....
    Congrats on no longer BF I know it was a struggle for you!

Euphoric !
    Yup ... Pretty much do the same if it was a dck ... Go in with a serious face and plunk her back in bed and say "no getting out" and repeat till she gives up ! If you lay down with her even once it will take longer as she will learn the longer she fusses eventually you will give in .... This includes weekends too!

Shy
    My 2nd was the exact same. It took almost 6mths of sticking to our guns and plenty of temper tantrums but he now gets that when we say/ask something that we mean it. Life is much easier now! We didn't want to squash his will but needed him to listen to us. He is still stubborn as all get out but understand when we mean business. Good luck!

Thanks for the support all! Sometimes you just need to hear a few encouraging words from those who have gone through it before