Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What would you like your daycare to provide that isn't being provided?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have been browsing some great threads! I'm hoping to do some info gathering and have a general discussion to educate myself a bit more.

A bit about me: I am graduating soon with a math phd and have extensive informal experience with children including nannying 6 kids and also teaching gifted and caring for special needs.

I'm looking to open a child care centre with 5 spots and a support staff member (likely an ece). I hope some parents can weigh in on a few things for me.

I want to offer infant care as I specialized in neonatal when I did respiratory therapy many years ago. I prefer to limit my care to infant care and believe that tending to one age group allows me to tailor my care more effectively. Is this something parents would appreciate? Or is it a pain that I wouldn't want to also take on toddlers?

What are he aspects of care that you aren't getting that you'd love to have?
    What features would you think are worth paying more for?

I understand what the cornerstones of good care are and want to identify the type of care that goes above and beyond in terms of offerings (clearly communication, patience, approachability etc should all be present)

I appreciate all feedback

Thanks!!

Euphoric !
    I would think for some parents, it would be a pain to have to find another daycare when their child becomes a toddler. In centres, it is fine to separate by age because the parents won't have to find other care as their child gets older but this might be a cause of concern for a smaller setting.

Fair enough, perhaps I should look at partnering with another provider who caters to toddlers. I just think the set up and programming is so different and I'd think having more focus on one age group is advantageous from all perspectives.... Except the one you mention

Shy
    I think also anyone that wants a home based daycare that has more than one child would not consider a home daycare that only caters to infants. You might be limiting yourself more than you realize. Maybe take a look at other providers in the area and that will give you an idea of the need of your neighbourhood. As long as you don't mind take longer to fill spots then it may work. Also, if you are in Ontario you may want to familiarize yourself with Bill 143. If that passes as it has been designed then you would only be able to have 2 infants in your care at any time even if you have support staff.

Thanks! I've looked in my neighbourhood and there are a number of providers though my friends with children are saying there is quite a shortage of good care. I'm downtown west end toronto and believe that there's a solid need for good child are in my area. I also think I have a really nice space and lots to offer; but these are good considerations for sure!

Yes but you are definitely going to be faced with the issue of only being allowed to care for 2 under two's so I would seriously consider coming up with an alternative program that can accommodate multiple ages. This isn't like good considerations of peoples opinions and the areas need, but a potential, and most likely, change in the law which would make all your efforts in planning wasted as it would not be something you could legally do.

It isn't clear the bill is passing without amendments at this point and at any rate I haven't done anything illegal at this point nor do I plan to.

I would like to understand the needs of the community so that within he legal framework I can cater my service. This is a preliminary undertaking of info gathering.

I wonder if anyone can weigh in on the other questions I asked? What would you most like to have offered as part of your care?

Thanks!

There is very little activity from parents on this site unless they are daycare providers who are also parents.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the heads up. This has still been fruitful!

In downtown Toronto daycare is very well paid. Fees could go up to $75 per day for home daycare. Home daycare ads in that area look like they are offering a lot and caregivers seem to have good credentials. You can take a look at their ads and see what they are offering as a starting point. Depending on the area and demographics, parents value different aspects and hence are willing to pay more if they find what they are looking for. Where I am located families really value healthy, organic eating, educational programming, great daycare set up, and low caregiver to child ratio and they are willing to pay more because I offer all this. You need to find out what is most valued by families in your neighborhood and what they are looking for that is hard for them to find somewhere else.